News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

dreday3

Mr. Penguin, judging from your many comments here, you seem to be a relatively strong proponent of this makeover, but this question is for anyone with a positive outlook on this:

Do you really believe that Disney is going to knock this out of the park or do you think we're likely getting a screen-laden overlay with three new animatronics, a dozen animatronics removed, a semi-incoherent plot, and very little thrill factor (aside from the drop itself, which will probably make no sense in the context of the story.).

I'm asking because I would like to ride a good attraction, whether it replaces a classic or not. I'd rather they not replace Splash Mountain, but whatever. However, I fear that everything I said in the second half of this comment is going to be true. And that would not be an attraction worth riding, waiting in line for, or even getting excited for.

I think there will be animatronics, I think there will be screens, I think there will be lighting effects to simulate fireflies and if done right, it can all be pretty awesome.

Screens are here to stay, at every park, might as well embrace them.

As for story, have to be honest, I could never figure out what the heck was happening on Splash. I just heard a little tune (barely, found it hard to hear on that ride) watched the animatronics and enjoyed the drop. 🤣

brettf22

Premium Member
BA86517D-1767-4B30-86A0-E822F590E88B.jpeg

How Bowers and his eye for fonts, kerning, and serifs strikes again. Cannot unsee.

TheMaxRebo

Mr. Penguin, judging from your many comments here, you seem to be a relatively strong proponent of this makeover, but this question is for anyone with a positive outlook on this:

Do you really believe that Disney is going to knock this out of the park or do you think we're likely getting a screen-laden overlay with three new animatronics, a dozen animatronics removed, a semi-incoherent plot, and very little thrill factor (aside from the drop itself, which will probably make no sense in the context of the story.).

I'm asking because I would like to ride a good attraction, whether it replaces a classic or not. I'd rather they not replace Splash Mountain, but whatever. However, I fear that everything I said in the second half of this comment is going to be true. And that would not be an attraction worth riding, waiting in line for, or even getting excited for.

I am overall positive about this and I think the change will be in-between those two scenarios. There will definitely be less total animatronics but will Uncle several modern version ones that look really good, and some other more simple ones and then some screens and projection effects includes as well.

No idea about the story but I think that part should be fine and the thrills should be the same as before - maybe even heightened if they utilize Friends of the Other Side well ( could be creepy)

It likely won't be perfect but I think it will be well done overall and not a quick, cheap, 99% screens overlay

Dranth

A few animatronics and screens is better than the busted mess this thing is turning into. Besides, what is the alternative? They aren't going to back out of this.

I personally don't have faith they will do a great job with this but I hope I am back here eating those words when they are done.

erasure fan1

I personally don't have faith they will do a great job with this but I hope I am back here eating those words when they are done.
I agree. I loved PatF, and I've been a big advocate for it getting it's own ride. But this has mediocrity at best written all over it. I too hope I a wrong, I just can't see any way that I am. The big problem with this whole project is, anything less than perfection, will be seen as a failure. But that is what happens when you decide to change a ride that is about as close to perfection as you can get.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Is the problem the name of the main character of the ride's story being in the title of the ride? That will surely upset Mr. Toad, and Alice, and Mr. Lincoln, and Casey Jr., and Davy Crockett, and Goofy, and Mickey and Minnie, and King Arthur, and Prince Charming, and Mark Twain, and Mike Fink, and Peter Pan, and Roger Rabbit, and Snow White, and Tarzan.
I think for smaller-scale rides it works better since their focus is smaller, but I think naming should be held to a higher standard.

Also, the ones you mentioned typically have something more definite than 'adventure.'

'Tiana's Bayou Falls' would also be a better descriptor for the ride than adventure. Adventure does describe it better than for Ratatouille, but it has become quite generic.

Indiana Jones Adventure is probably the one exception since it is just known by most as Indiana Jones and it's literally based on an adventure film, so it's a good description of the ride.

Peter Pan's 'Flight', Mr. Toad's 'Wild Ride', etc. are more descriptive of the experience than 'Adventure'.

I think really good attraction names are sweet and to the point while appearing clever. They need to be the hook to the ride.

Rides like Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, Jungle Cruise, Soarin', Haunted Mansion, Mission: Space, Space Mountain, and Test Track roll off the tongue quite well with short syllables and typically are only 2 words. Iconic, simple to remember names. Bayou Adventure is a weak name, so I imagine people will just call it Tiana's.

Heck, Frozen: Ever After is even a good (not amazing) name. The Ariel ride is an example of an awful name: Under The Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid. Mission: Breakout was criticized, but I actually think that's a great name as well (so long as you drop the Guardians of the Galaxy from its length). Flight of Passage isn't as clever as Space Mountain, but that's a good descriptor name as well and it's pretty simple. Even Seven Dwarfs 'Mine Train' is also pretty good when it's referred to as just 'Mine Train'.

Remy's Ratatouille Adventure is a weak name for one because it's not even an adventure, and Ratatouille is both a movie Remy is in and a food item. It feels awkward.
Ratatouille: Kitchen Calamity works better as a title even though calamity is an awkward word. I think it works better as a title but understand why they didn't end up with that. Again, I don't think that ride's name matters as much since people will refer to it as just Ratatouille.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure is not the worst name they've ever had, but it is weak and lacks creativity. I'm cautiously optimistic that the final project is a lot better, but I don't see the point to defend a pretty unoriginal title. I feel like there is a trend to add a character to the title to bring in IP where as before it was mostly just Fantasyland or if the name worked. My guess is the ride will feel much grander than just Tiana.

yensidtlaw1969

Why not Just ¨Bayou Falls¨or ¨Bayou Mountain.¨

I get they want to distance themselves from Splash, fine, but good god this name is weak.

At least for ¨Remy's Ratatouille Adventure¨ everyone just calls it ¨Ratatouille,¨ ¨Remy,¨ or ¨Rat.¨

Cosmic Rewind is a great name, so what was the thinking here? I guess there wasn't any. :D
Seems pretty obvious people will call this "Tiana's" . . .

LittleBuford

Yes, exactly. Not a big deal, but set off my OCD. Here’s how he would fix it.

His version looks good, but I don't see the problem with the original design. The claim that the A is too far from the N makes little sense given that it's exactly the same distance from the I that precedes it.

ETA: Looking again, I see that the gap he perceives results more from the relationship of the N to the second A. His spacing does indeed look more balanced. That said, I'm not seeing anything approaching TI ANA's in the original arrangement.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

His version looks good, but I don't see the problem with the original design. The claim that the A is too far from the N makes little sense given that it's exactly the same distance from the I that precedes it.

ETA: Looking again, I see that the gap he perceives results more from the relationship of the N to the second A. His spacing does indeed look more balanced. That said, I'm not seeing anything approaching TI ANA's in the original arrangement.
HB has been doing design for a very long time

LittleBuford

HB has been doing design for a very long time
I didn't criticise his redesign; on the contrary, I acknowledged it as an improvement. That doesn't mean I have to agree with him that the original spacing resembles TI ANA'S, however. Others may see it that way, but I don't.

yensidtlaw1969

Screens are here to stay, at every park, might as well embrace them.
I embrace them when and if they do something embraceable.

There are attractions that make good use of screens, but there are unfortunately many more that fail to use them as anything more than a design shortcut. An exceptional "screen" element will make you believe in what you are meant to be seeing and draw you deeper into the world of the attraction, but few things will pull you out of the world faster than a screen effect that's poorly executed.

Consider how Madame Leota in The Haunted Mansion has been effective and enchanting for more than 50 years, and yet Costance Hatchaway in the same ride feels stale and lame after a little more than a decade.

And generally speaking, I can't think of a design element that has lower batting average than projections and screens. Far too many of them are obvious, lazy, or poorly integrated, and ones that genuinely elevate the attraction are quite few and far between. That their use is on the rise seems to contribute more to the first category than the second, which is really troubling, especially as the cost to visit theme parks also increases.

The distaste for screens isn't unfounded.

Incomudro

I embrace them when and if they do something embraceable.

There are attractions that make good use of screens, but there are unfortunately many more that fail to use them as anything more than a design shortcut. An exceptional "screen" element will make you believe in what you are meant to be seeing and draw you deeper into the world of the attraction, but few things will pull you out of the world faster than a screen effect that's poorly executed.

Consider how Madame Leota in The Haunted Mansion has been effective and enchanting for more than 50 years, and yet Costance Hatchaway in the same ride feels stale and lame after a little more than a decade.

And generally speaking, I can't think of a design element that has lower batting average than projections and screens. Far too many of them are obvious, lazy, or poorly integrated, and ones that genuinely elevate the attraction are quite few and far between. That their use is on the rise seems to contribute more to the first category than the second, which is really troubling, especially as the cost to visit theme parks also increases.

The distaste for screens isn't unfounded.
Screens are to parks what cgi is to movies.
Used sparingly, they can deliver things that props can never do.
Overuse - and both of these things lead to overuse - they become distractions unto themselves.
I could see screens used to great effect as depth and background for Tiana's if they don't get out of hand.
I don't know PatF (I should check it out) but from the little that I've seen, the movie can really lend itself to great visuals for this re-do.
That's coming from a guy who doesn't want this.
So, yes - I'm hoping they do this well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom