News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kirby86

I guess this will be causing Walt to start spinning once again in his grave. So how fast do you all think his rpm will be this time? I figure the greater the dislike the faster the rpm.
Walt wouldn't care about Splash it was past his time. The overall state of the parks though? Fast enough to power all of Disney World

FettFan

It doesn’t. It fits into a Disney theme park that has always played fast and loose with reality, much to our delight (till now, it seems).

Not quite. We saw the same complaints when the BAH stayed up for an extended run, when Avatar was put into Animal Kingdom, when the Tangled Bathrooms were built within sight lines of the Haunted Mansion, when Frozen was put into Norway, when GotG was rumored to be replacing the Great Movie Ride, when GotG was rumored to be replacing Tower or Terror, when GotG actually did replace universe of energy, and when Harmonious was mutated from being a worthy successor to Illuminations RoE into being Now That’s What I Call Disney/Pixar’s Greatest Hits.

Some things just don’t belong.

LittleBuford

Not quite. We saw the same complaints when the BAH stayed up for an extended run, when Avatar was put into Animal Kingdom, when the Tangled Bathrooms were built within sight lines of the Haunted Mansion, when Frozen was put into Norway, when GotG was rumored to be replacing the Great Movie Ride, when GotG was rumored to be replacing Tower or Terror, when GotG actually did replace universe of energy, and when Harmonious was mutated from being a worthy successor to Illuminations RoE into being Now That’s What I Call Disney/Pixar’s Greatest Hits.

Those examples have nothing to do with my point, though. I'm talking about realism vs. fantasy within a particular attraction, not questions of fit or quality.

Incomudro

I don't say this often, but I'm kind of on the side of Disney management here that it would have been a bit of a waste to design a whole other second replacement for Splash Mountain and an all-new PatF attraction for MK because a Louisiana-based attraction is a slightly awkward fit for Frontierland at MK.

Maybe if we were talking replacing it with a Wreck it Ralph attraction I would agree, but we're talking replacing a ride set in rural Georgia with one set in rural Louisiana, which is not that great a leap. The exterior is also not going to look all that different such that it clashes any more than Splash does.
I agree.
I wish this wasn't happening, but the visual or geographic fit isn't really an issue for me.

EPCOT-O.G.

oh my god. Now we want the historical accuracy of the levees in the ride.
The ride about a girl who kissed a frog, became a frog, talked to fireflies, met a singing alligator and was pursued by a man who controlled (at least tried) voodoo spirits.
I agree it is silly. So take it up with WDI, which scheduled a quick, last minute tour two weeks ago of museums to show how hard their Imagineers were working to make this attraction authentic to the time and location.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree it is still. So take it up with WDI, which scheduled a quick, last minute tour two weeks ago of museums to show how hard their Imagineers were working to make this attraction authentic to the time and location.
I have a hard time blaming WDI for that…or anything. It would be like shooting the messenger

WDI seems merely the artistic appendage of two-three upper managers that seem to not be appropriate for these decisions to date.

The days of sklar pushing Eisner/wells on the merits of projects using designs from the likes of Baxter, Rhode, etc. are long gone.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I have a hard time blaming WDI for that…or anything. It would be like shooting the messenger

WDI seems merely the artistic appendage of two-three upper managers that seem to not be appropriate for these decisions to date.

The days of sklar pushing Eisner/wells on the merits of projects using designs from the likes of Baxter, Rhode, etc. are long gone.

It's just "culture washing" a management call. WDI is just a fan that's being waved over a situation as a bandaid.

yensidtlaw1969

Splash Mountain features Singing Rodents from Georgia in the Old West, set about a hundred years after the rest of the land it's in.

Princess and the Frog is just as adequate (or inadequate) a fit for the park as the attraction it's replacing.

Smiley/OCD

This exactly…there isn’t anyone in the company anymore like Marty Sklar, who played such an important role between the imagineers and the CEO…for his faults, they don’t make ‘em like that anymore and honestly, I don’t know if Marty would have quit or Chapek would have fired him. I would have like to be a fly on that office wall though…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Again I ask: To the retheme apologists, how do you account for the long layoff in development of this attraction? Doesn't this seem to indicate they are not putting their best foot forward here?
No…it indicates bob’s a cheap …which will be born out for 10 years if my hunch is right.

That’s why there needs to be a change in lineup

JustInTime

JustInTime

Again I ask: To the retheme apologists, how do you account for the long layoff in development of this attraction? Doesn't this seem to indicate they are not putting their best foot forward here?
They have enough talent in Imagineering where that doesn’t worry me. They just have to want to do it and do it right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom