News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

WDW Pro

It is a horrible name. The logo is the antithesis of what a water thrill ride should be. They recorded a "research trip" from two weeks ago to try to market this. The whole things stinks to high heavens and the company is actively devouring its own legacy. I'd leak what they're up to but they still haven't solidified anything other than three animatronics.

This has Journey Into Imagination written all over it.

aladdin2007

It is a horrible name. The logo is the antithesis of what a water thrill ride should be. They recorded a "research trip" from two weeks ago to try to market this. The whole things stinks to high heavens and the company is actively devouring its own legacy. I'd leak what they're up to but they still haven't solidified anything other than three animatronics.

This has Journey Into Imagination written all over it.
and they will probably be plastic stationary or limited movement just like in mermaid. and essentially changing this from a family adventure ride for all into another girls princess preschool ride.

Ayla

I don't feel like Disney will "cheap out" on this ride. Bad optics.

Splash will be closed when we go, but honestly don't care, got stuck on it so often (during one ride) last trip we were probably going to skip it anyways.

Any clues on the storyline of the ride? Could be quite aesthetically beautiful if done right.
I agree, it could be beautiful, *if* done right. I hope it won't follow the seemingly new way of building rides at Disney, by being screen-based.

tanc

Disney goes through all this effort to rid of Splash, but yet, Tokyo has a pristine Splash Mountain that can live the legacy. Sounds like nightmare material to me. Unfortunately we know Disney can't just back out of the project without backlash. So I guess the time will come soon enough about it.

Also, for wanting to presumably impress Japan, they're already not off to a good start regarding the name.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Splash was the first attraction I went on many years ago on our first vsit to WDW. It's still an absolute favourite, but I'm good with the change. I never saw Song of the South, but really enjoy The Princess and the Frog. I think it's good to change things up. Then again, I was fine with, and understood, why Maelstrom changed to Frozen as well. :)
its good to change things up that need to be changed not a classic attraction that they have now left to rot to make the transition easier and more acceptable

Lil Copter Cap

Peter Pan’s Flight
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
PeopleMover
Jungle Cruise

Tiana’s Bayou Adventure

I don’t see the problem. People talk of WDI being unimaginative with names nowadays, but these classic ride names are simple yet effective. (…I give you Dumbo the Flying Elephant…as exhibit A)

What’s going to make an impact is the ride retheme itself. The name will become iconic if the attraction can rise to its soon-to-be predecessor. This, of course, is unlikely given what we know. (Or rather, what we don’t know.)

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I hate the name but I continue to be super excited about this attraction. I just hope they do this better than Frozen Ever After.

It’s fun to still see people seething two years later, I have to admit 😂
some bar you are putting this against comparing it to Frozen lol

dmw

In the Parks
No
Yes, the new name loses the "Mountain" title/category, but there are no mountains in New Orleans so it would be tough to come up with a meaningful name that included "Mountain".

Having "Bayou" in the name and keeping that theme makes the overlay (cough.. re-imagining) simple. Much of the ride can remain themed the same, just remove the Br'er names and maybe a couple of other critter names. It can still be a boat ride complete with an ending on the Mighty Mississippi with the Riverboat and all.

But, I am really struggling with how they will incorporate the large drop into a bayou theme. Are there any rivers/streams that flow into the Mississippi near New Orleans and that have a drop down into the river? Plus, they will have to re-theme the exterior to not be the briar patch. That exterior with the drop has to be able to tell the story, IMHO.

Ghost93

I bet the name Splash Mountain was dropped because a lot of times when you type the ride up on google, the word "racist" appears in the search results and Disney doesn't want people to associate this new version of the ride with Song of the South AT ALL.

While I think a retheme could be great and I support getting rid of the SotS theme, I'm a bit troubled that all of the marketing for the new ride has focused on "authenticity" and "inclusion" rather than "fun" and "thrilling." Don't get me wrong, they should be authentic in representing New Orleans, but I'm worried there won't even be an antagonist/threat in the ride. Splash Mountain — while fun — should have an element of danger about it. The name "Tiana's Bayou Adventure" seems to be lacking the thrill factor.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Yes, the new name loses the "Mountain" title/category, but there are no mountains in New Orleans so it would be tough to come up with a meaningful name that included "Mountain".

Having "Bayou" in the name and keeping that theme makes the overlay (cough.. re-imagining) simple. Much of the ride can remain themed the same, just remove the Br'er names and maybe a couple of other critter names. It can still be a boat ride complete with an ending on the Mighty Mississippi with the Riverboat and all.

But, I am really struggling with how they will incorporate the large drop into a bayou theme. Are there any rivers/streams that flow into the Mississippi near New Orleans and that have a drop down into the river? Plus, they will have to re-theme the exterior to not be the briar patch. That exterior with the drop has to be able to tell the story, IMHO.
Not sure why you are worried. They have been planning this for years ;) 😂😂😂.

mickEblu

Peter Pan's Flight
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Snow White's Scary Adventures

Not seeing much of a difference...

Those characters names hold more weight and all of their names were in the movie title. Tiana doesn’t sound right on a thrill ride. Maybe I’d feel different if it was an original build and not a retheme of Splash Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom