News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Lilofan

I don't see why it isn't possible. Stupid meddling in politics started the recent mess that, I am absolutely certain, affected Lightyear's box office to some degree. I don't believe for a moment much of the public avoided that film because they've been conditioned to wait to see Disney films on Disney+. By that logic, "Disney" should always send its films straight to streaming instead of to theaters. That would save them a ton of money on advertising alone. Now, one of the other reasons audiences stayed away from Lightyear might be that it looked too oddball. But wasn't Inside Out oddball? Monsters Inc.? I mean, we're talking about Pixar here. It has built up tons of audience good-will, in part because of its originality and willingness to experiment. And Lightyear was based on a known and well-loved IP. And yet, Lightyear bombed.

We can rationalize the reasons all we want (and continue to avoid the elephant in the room), but IMO Disney has GOT to get out of politics. To stay politically neutral. Now I know that's not likely to happen, because nowadays it's expected that corporations take sides (and what an unfortunate development that was), and it's probably too late anyway. But if "Disney" wants to remove at least some of the tarnish Chapek and others have inflicted on it, then, politically speaking, it needs to back off. Keep its corporate mouth shut. And immediately. Before any more damage is done.
Disney and other companies will never get out of politics. The you help me I help you relationships continues.

Lilofan

If you take Toy Story Midway Mania (open for about a decade prior) out of it, I think we're left with something comparable to Chester and Hester's in its prime which most of us consider a low point in Disney Florida parks.

Although, the use of oversized lifeless fiberglass IP may make TSL worse. (Isn't that the level of theming Disney uses in it's lowest budget motel-like value resort?)

Chester and Hester actually was well done for the concept they were shooting for. It was just the cheap concept that sucked.
I would not be surprised if a Toy Story Midway Mania competition among quick fingers guests become reality but the price of admission to compete for prizes probably won't be free. One fellow guest was so talented in the ride vehicle I was in he could kill the bad guys just as fast as I could blink.

Kamikaze

Exactly.

Slinky is basically primeval whirl with a smoother ride and attractive trains.

Aliens is…well…much less interesting than the ride it was cloned off of.

What else is Toy story land?? A mech pop up and a quick service counter?

Not to be pessimistic (Paris, the thought 🇫🇷)…but that is what it is.

Midway wasn’t built as the “first step in toy story land) it was a designated clone two add a little capacity in two parks desperate for it. And it worked.

But that doesn’t mean it was a 9 year head start.
I mean, no? Primeval Whirl was an off the shelf wild mouse with rotating cars and theming stuck up around the track. Slinky Dog Dash is a (basic and minorly thrilling, granted) unique layout steel roller coaster. With theming stuck up around the track.

You're correct more or less with everything else you said here, though.

Cliff

I don't see why it isn't possible. Stupid meddling in politics started the recent mess that, I am absolutely certain, affected Lightyear's box office to some degree. I don't believe for a moment much of the public avoided that film because they've been conditioned to wait to see Disney films on Disney+. By that logic, "Disney" should always send its films straight to streaming instead of to theaters. That would save them a ton of money on advertising alone. Now, one of the other reasons audiences stayed away from Lightyear might be that it looked too oddball. But wasn't Inside Out oddball? Monsters Inc.? I mean, we're talking about Pixar here. It has built up tons of audience good-will, in part because of its originality and willingness to experiment. And Lightyear was based on a known and well-loved IP. And yet, Lightyear bombed.

We can rationalize the reasons all we want (and continue to avoid the elephant in the room), but IMO Disney has GOT to get out of politics. To stay politically neutral. Now I know that's not likely to happen, because nowadays it's expected that corporations take sides (and what an unfortunate development that was), and it's probably too late anyway. But if "Disney" wants to remove at least some of the tarnish Chapek and others have inflicted on it, then, politically speaking, it needs to back off. Keep its corporate mouth shut. And immediately. Before any more damage is done.
Well?....let's be honest. There are many people inside Disney that DO believe the company SHOULD be used as a tool to promote social justice. They believe it is a megaphone for cultural and political activism. These people dont think about the business ramifications of this. Instead, they are OK to lose business and divide it's customers as long as the poltical goal is achieved.

Anteater

I mean, no? Primeval Whirl was an off the shelf wild mouse with rotating cars and theming stuck up around the track. Slinky Dog Dash is a (basic and minorly thrilling, granted) unique layout steel roller coaster. With theming stuck up around the track.

You might not have loved the theming of PW, but, it had it in spades.
1656678912527.png

There were inside jokes and gimmicks at just about every turn. I've ridden a few other rides like this and none were as good. My family truly misses it.

But, I'm no TSL apologist. They really missed the mark with so much land set aside for two rides and a possible QS restaurant. Even keeping its theme, they could have added some more clones of Carsland rides and still kept the coaster and the aliens (which I think is a cute version of the Mater ride at DLR). TSL, Pandora, and GE are simply knee-jerk reactions to USO's incredible creativity of late.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You might not have loved the theming of PW, but, it had it in spades.
View attachment 649913
There were inside jokes and gimmicks at just about every turn. I've ridden a few other rides like this and none were as good. My family truly misses it.

But, I'm no TSL apologist. They really missed the mark with so much land set aside for two rides and a possible QS restaurant. Even keeping its theme, they could have added some more clones of Carsland rides and still kept the coaster and the aliens (which I think is a cute version of the Mater ride at DLR). TSL, Pandora, and GE are simply knee-jerk reactions to USO's incredible creativity of late.
I think if that ride was indoors with more theming it would have been way more popular and likely still there

GimpYancIent

Well?....let's be honest. There are many people inside Disney that DO believe the company SHOULD be used as a tool to promote social justice. They believe it is a megaphone for cultural and political activism. These people dont think about the business ramifications of this. Instead, they are OK to lose business and divide it's customers as long as the poltical goal is achieved.
The "many people inside Disney" need to understand and practice;
1656680855472.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Primeval whirl was a throw up in a mini-crisis…granted. But it had the same goal as slinky dog when you get down to it. Relatively cheap capacity.

I’m not really trying to do a Chester/toy story comparison…obviously one looks better. But isnt an amazing level of investment either way.

One took about 9 months too…that matters.

Kamikaze

Primeval whirl was a throw up in a mini-crisis…granted. But it had the same goal as slinky dog when you get down to it. Relatively cheap capacity.

I’m not really trying to do a Chester/toy story comparison…obviously one looks better. But isnt an amazing level of investment either way.

I mean, all attractions have the same 'goal' when it comes down to it.

But to say something you can get literally off the shelf (see: https://mack-rides.com/products/rollercoaster/wild-mouse/ ) and Slinky Dog Dash are 'basically the same' is both factually incorrect and disingenuous.

I don't (didn't?) find either ride particularly thrilling, overly enjoyable (both are/were just 'okay' as basic thrill rides) or well done, but at least SDD brings something different to the equation.

Kamikaze

I see nothing in the way of theming that went into PW. Even it's queue was clever and humorous. Have you ever ridden it?
The theming is what Imagineering added. The theming also doesn't change the actual ride.

The rides gone, you don't have to defend its honor anymore.

Like I said, it was 'fine'. It wasn't great, it wasn't bad. It was just 'fine'. Exactly the same as any other wild mouse with rotating cars. Goofy's Sky School is better than PW, because the views and themed area are far superior to Dinoland/Chester & Hesters. And yes, I've been on both. I've been on at least 7 different Wild Mice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, all attractions have the same 'goal' when it comes down to it.

But to say something you can get literally off the shelf (see: https://mack-rides.com/products/rollercoaster/wild-mouse/ ) and Slinky Dog Dash are 'basically the same' is both factually incorrect and disingenuous.

I don't (didn't?) find either ride particularly thrilling, overly enjoyable (both are/were just 'okay' as basic thrill rides) or well done, but at least SDD brings something different to the equation.
Slinky ain’t nothing, kid. It’s a mini coaster with a notorious WDI style bloated budget…

Let’s just disagree and move on.

Is TSL underwhelming? Or better yet: adequate for the longterm needs of the park?
That’s the real debate

Kamikaze

Slinky ain’t nothing, kid. It’s a mini coaster with a notorious WDI style bloated budget…

Let’s just disagree and move on.

Is TSL underwhelming? Or better yet: adequate for the longterm needs of the park?
That’s the real debate
Same as with Judge's contract, I don't give a blank what the budgets are - I'm not paying it out of my pocket so I don't care. Just pay it and get it done.

And yes, its a mini coaster comparative to going to a real coaster park. But then you see how people have to 'sit down and catch their breath' after riding Cosmic Rewind. Disney guests are mostly wimps when it comes to thrill rides. So they build what they think they can handle.

That part of the debate I couldn't care less about. But unless TSL precludes or prevents them from expanding or adding attractions in the future, then theres no reason to label it underwhelming or adequate in the long term. Provided, of course, that continued expansion does occur.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Same as with Judge's contract, I don't give a blank what the budgets are - I'm not paying it out of my pocket so I don't care. Just pay it and get it done.

And yes, its a mini coaster comparative to going to a real coaster park. But then you see how people have to 'sit down and catch their breath' after riding Cosmic Rewind. Disney guests are mostly wimps when it comes to thrill rides. So they build what they think they can handle.

That part of the debate I couldn't care less about. But unless TSL precludes or prevents them from expanding or adding attractions in the future, then theres no reason to label it underwhelming or adequate in the long term. Provided, of course, that continued expansion does occur.
I most agree with you. Cosmic rewind is a “moderate thrill” However…and even more fun. Hagrids is the best comparison in town.

The closet thing to a medium MGM has opened in 1999…if we’re Honest.

I like slinky fine…it’s supposed to be a middling park ride…but you get 90 minute waits on those In underequipped parks

The last part is the hard part. My instincts tell me that’s EXACTLY what has happened to that park.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

PW would have been an E ticket on the Seaside or Pt. Pleasant NJ boardwalk…an enjoyable ride for kids, but had no place at AK

denyuntilcaught

I don't see why it isn't possible. Stupid meddling in politics started the recent mess that, I am absolutely certain, affected Lightyear's box office to some degree.
Number one rule to crisis management is to put stakeholders ahead of reputation. Where Disney messed up is that by not "meddling" they appeared to not support its stakeholders (note, not shareholders, but its actual publics: Cos and guests), and only spoke out after internal pressure, which made Disney appear reactive, not proactive. A failure on all fronts.

Again, it's not really possible for a company to be apolitical. It's a challenge for me to think of one company with the gravitas of Disney that operates apolitically in this day and age.

bryanfze55

We need more PeopleMovers and Living with the Lands. People should get their “thrills” elsewhere. We have plenty of amusement parks for that. Imagineering used to have a higher aim than “fun” and “thrill.” If you’re going to build IP lands, give us a great dark ride at least. Why shouldn’t Toy Story Land have a dark ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom