SPOILERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

erasure fan1

I think these shows are showing exactly why Disney tried to go New people with the sequels and SW:GE. They paint themselves in a corner trying to work around the OT lore and characters and it becomes a tinier and tinier island to work on.

You can only abuse 'I got a bad feeling about this...' so many times.
I don't personally think it's really all that hard to work around the OT. You just need to care about it and not try and retcon everything. Being consistent with what came before, really isn't that hard. That said, I will stand by my opinion from before Disney ever purchased star wars. The old republic would have been the smart move, not the sequels. Bioware was right on the money. They created knights of the old republic because it gave them creative freedom. They weren't tied to expectations with known characters and storie. You could visit familiar places, interact with classic aliens... All you have to do is stay true to some of the rules of the Jedi and sith.

I agree I just couldn’t take to Reva.
I understand they needed a main lead in the show whose fate was unknown. Problem was, you only have so many options to go with her character, and most have been done to death already. How many bads redeemed by one act of good does this saga need?
I did enjoy her backstory of being a youngling present during Anakin's temple tantrum of homicidal fury. I liked how witnessing that trauma sparked her on a mission. I did NOT like how it became yet another Ben Solo, Vader rehash of bad to good at the very end, wiping out previous bad deeds with one swift moment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't personally think it's really all that hard to work around the OT. You just need to care about it and not try and retcon everything. Being consistent with what came before, really isn't that hard. That said, I will stand by my opinion from before Disney ever purchased star wars. The old republic would have been the smart move, not the sequels. Bioware was right on the money. They created knights of the old republic because it gave them creative freedom. They weren't tied to expectations with known characters and storie. You could visit familiar places, interact with classic aliens... All you have to do is stay true to some of the rules of the Jedi and sith.
Exactly…

Only in Hollywood would they take the most impactful film franchise ever…decide it can be “redone”…then reshoot it (attempted) with new faces and try to slip it by the world as not a blatant attempt to get modern money off the same thing.

I would have rather a straight up recast/reshoot of 4-6 and then 7-9…you would have caught all sorts of hell…but then when that subsides you can get something resembling and interesting sequel trilogy that wasn’t a digital clownshow

erasure fan1

I understand they needed a main lead in the show whose fate was unknown.
I don't think it was needed at all. You had all the pieces you needed without focusing on Reva. You will never have the suspense in this kind of a project because we all know what happens to the characters. Adding in someone new doesn't help because they either die, or never factor in to anything again. They needed to stick to the characters we know and love. They're what brought people to the table anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand they needed a main lead in the show whose fate was unknown. Problem was, you only have so many options to go with her character, and most have been done to death already. How many bads redeemed by one act of good does this saga need?
I did enjoy her backstory of being a youngling present during Anakin's temple tantrum of homicidal fury. I liked how witnessing that trauma sparked her on a mission. I did NOT like how it became yet another Ben Solo, Vader rehash of bad to good at the very end, wiping out previous bad deeds with one swift moment.
I think it’s really quite simple…you either tell Jedi stories with the OT rules and expansion of the genre like the prequels and clone wars…they’ve had some success along those lines now…

Or you leave that alone and tell more war stories. Like R1.

So back to that rogue squadron thing…

I’ll bet $1,100,000,000 that fighter planes still sell.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think it was needed at all. You had all the pieces you needed without focusing on Reva. You will never have the suspense in this kind of a project because we all know what happens to the characters. Adding in someone new doesn't help because they either die, or never factor in to anything again. They needed to stick to the characters we know and love. They're what brought people to the table anyway.
But people who are 40-60 years old and have spent about a hundred BILLION dollars on this stuff aren’t enough…didn’t you hear?

We only got 30-60 years left…more than 75% of the DVC contracts.

🙄

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It would be epic if they could re-edit the series as two 2-hour movies. They have enough material and it flows well enough to do so. I think watching the series as 2 movies would be an incredible experience.
Funny that some people don't care for episodic stories while others call for certain movies, like The Eternals, to have been serialized.

Now that all six episodes of Obi-Wan are on D+, serialization is pretty much moot. You can watch one episode after another for as many as you want or binge the whole series.

Anyone who hasn't seen Obi-Wan yet isn't really going to experience it as a series since they can watch as much of it as they want in one or multiple sittings.

IOW, for all intents and purposes, it's not a series anymore!

bryanfze55

Just watched it tonight. Mediocre finale. Reva was an uninteresting character.

But I’m easier to please when it comes to movies and shows than theme parks. We got a genuine Vader/Obi-Wan battle, a Liam Neeson cameo, and a “hello there.” I can’t complain.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just watched it tonight. Mediocre finale. Reva was an uninteresting character.

But I’m easier to please when it comes to movies and shows than theme parks. We got a genuine Vader/Obi-Wan battle, a Liam Neeson cameo, and a “hello there.” I can’t complain.
I think the Leia stuff made the finale drag…I gotta be honest. It wasn’t the story of the finale that was the problem…it was the sequencing to me.

But it’s Disney…they are insistent on prioritizing characters that don’t really jive with the history of the IP…and did it a bit again

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

I think it’s really quite simple…you either tell Jedi stories with the OT rules and expansion of the genre like the prequels and clone wars…they’ve had some success along those lines now…

Or you leave that alone and tell more war stories. Like R1.

So back to that rogue squadron thing…

I’ll bet $1,100,000,000 that fighter planes still sell.
Rouge Squadron could work if there isn't mass chaos on the screen like there normally is in a star wars movie. Which is fine, in smaller increments. Squadron would need a unique story to it, it would need a Top Gun...ish feel. Scale down the film, 5 on 5 dogfighting, not 5 vs 50 like in the movies. The CGI would need to be on point and very life like. Top Gun had the benefit of using actual planes showcasing their speed, maneuverability and the powerful sounds in which they produce. Top Gun is a movie made for the big screen, IMAX, Dolby Atmos preferred.
Also I'm not sold yet on a successful star wars story without the Force being involved.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rouge Squadron could work if there isn't mass chaos on the screen like there normally is in a star wars movie. Which is fine, in smaller increments. Squadron would need a unique story to it, it would need a Top Gun...ish feel. Scale down the film, 5 on 5 dogfighting, not 5 vs 50 like in the movies. The CGI would need to be on point and very life like. Top Gun had the benefit of using actual planes showcasing their speed, maneuverability and the powerful sounds in which they produce. Top Gun is a movie made for the big screen, IMAX, Dolby Atmos preferred.
Also I'm not sold yet on a successful star wars story without the Force being involved.
You’re saying don’t do what George did? Let computer “scale” overtake compelling action?

Screamface

The sad thing is that this just shows how little faith any of us have of them having competent writers or directors.

There is zero reason you couldn't have the largest space battle of any Star Wars film ever but only focus on the goals and actions of a small few in it. It's simply a case of trying to keep things so simple that the odds of them stuffing it up aren't too high.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

DCBaker

Premium Member
Obi-Wan Kenobi: A Jedi’s Return debuts September 8th -

Faw2YwpUEAAEUJQ.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom