SPOILERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think they can do a sequel-era show. Resistance was possibly the worst show they've done according to viewership and enthusiasm. Mando was gold. Obi-Wan is generally well-liked for the most part. Hayden's return was very well received. Grogu is a a pop culture phenomenon. People want more Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka. There's no set up for anything in the post Rise of Skywalker time frame or even during that time frame.

The closest we might see (and I very much welcome it) is when Kylo is born to when he is a child and feature the BIg-3 (or 4 if you include Chewie) together somehow. But that would still be between episodes 6 and 7.

Maybe in 10 years they will play around with the idea of having an older Rey work with an older Grogu or something. But not in the near future.
…it all seems reasonable, dudn’t it?

doctornick

I don't think they can do a sequel-era show. Resistance was possibly the worst show they've done according to viewership and enthusiasm. Mando was gold. Obi-Wan is generally well-liked for the most part. Hayden's return was very well received. Grogu is a a pop culture phenomenon. People want more Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka. There's no set up for anything in the post Rise of Skywalker time frame or even during that time frame.

The closest we might see (and I very much welcome it) is when Kylo is born to when he is a child and feature the BIg-3 (or 4 if you include Chewie) together somehow. But that would still be between episodes 6 and 7.

Maybe in 10 years they will play around with the idea of having an older Rey work with an older Grogu or something. But not in the near future.
I’d personally love a Poe and Finn buddy cop type show set between Ep VIII and IX. I get that a lot of people would not be happy with that or interested but if well done could be something that actually would improve the reception of the sequels. Those two characters were generally fine but just completely under developed and deserve some more adventures.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d personally love a Poe and Finn buddy cop type show set between Ep VIII and IX. I get that a lot of people would not be happy with that or interested but if well done could be something that actually would improve the reception of the sequels. Those two characters were generally fine but just completely under developed and deserve some more adventures.
A buddy cop with 2 useless characters?

I didn’t know 48 Hours 3 was greenlit?! 🤪

Pecos Scott

I wouldn't mind this. I would also like to know more of both backstory prior to TFA. Some events as Finn is being trained as a trooper, and events which lead to his choosing the other side eventually.
I would also like a Ben Solo spinoff series, as he's being trained by Uncle Luke and gradually being pulled to the dark side, eventually leading to the destruction of the temple by he and his comrades.

spacemt354

Chili's
Upon second viewing…

I think the last episode was one of the best pieces of Star Wars ever made. It doesn’t all have to be Oscar material…it hits a lot of clever emotional notes. There’s was a lot of Lucas/filoni kinda influence in there…

…or even better: some or favreau’s merry band actually gets what the whole thing was about.
Filoni/Favreau had very little if nothing at all to do with this show. Kathleen Kennedy was more involved in this project than either of those two were.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Filoni/Favreau had very little if nothing at all to do with this show. Kathleen Kennedy was more involved in this project than either of those two were.
Chow is a big favreau protege…from the looks of it.

Something changed on this…maybe not filoni…but I have little doubts he had some story influence in an advisor capacity.

There’s a stark contrast between what they did here - specifically in the last episode - and that “sequel” nonsense. To deny that is silly. Why would kennedy be so supportive of that utter crap and then support this? If that means she was told what to do for the movies and did a course correction here…then GOOD FOR HER ! !

The references to return of the Jedi and one scene in particular of filoni’s Star Wars rebels stuck out like a sore thumb to me…in a great way.

It was good. Probably the most satisfying D+ overall arc to date (including marvel) for me.

somebody finally figured out you can do fan service without being blatantly cynical/stupid.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
They had little, but fioni had something. There was some story that he went and put his input in and required reshoots.
Probably the most important scene of the final show was 1000% a mirror of a scene from one of his shows. And it worked brilliantly both times

Neither was credited on the show in any capacity. Same with the upcoming Andor, they have nothing to do with that.

Their focus is on post-ROTJ era, and Filoni with the animated shows

So if you like it, you gotta give credit where it's deserved...Kennedy

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Neither was credited on the show in any capacity. Same with the upcoming Andor, they have nothing to do with that.

Do you know the scene I’m talking about??

Do you want me to post it?

There’s always a gutteral reaction around here to say “SEE! Kennedy is great!” As if it whitewashes the mistakes made that she is the figurehead/fall guy for…

Here’s where I’ll be fair: If she’s changing her tune…if there isn’t a emphasis over style and statistics over story now…If she understands Star Wars - finally - then I fully support her.

I’d also like candor…Blame Iger and his IP henchman for decreeing what “had” to be done…blame abrams for “writing” a stupid reboot and johnson for being clueless. Apologize to Gareth edwards.

But we know that’s not coming.

spacemt354

Chili's
Do you know the scene I’m talking about??

Do you want me to post it?

There’s always a gutteral reaction around here to say “SEE! Kennedy is great!” As if it whitewashes the mistakes made that she is the figurehead/fall guy for…

Here’s where I’ll be fair: If she’s changing her tune…if there isn’t a emphasis over style and statistics over story now…If she understands Star Wars - finally - then I fully support her.

I’d also like candor…Blame Iger and his IP henchman for decreeing what “had” to be done…blame abrams for “writing” a stupid reboot and johnson for being clueless. Apologize to Gareth edwards.

But we know that’s not coming.
Yeah I saw the scene - I saw the whole show.

I didn't particularly fall over the moon for it - there were some redeeming moments but I thought it was a step down from Mandalorian, because it was missing the Filoni touch.

I'm sure behind closed doors especially in the early stages, I remember reading that F/F suggested to raise the age of Leia to not have it be the exact same concept of saving a baby such as the Mandalorian, but this was a while ago as this project has been in development for some time.

The final product on screen really had nothing to do with them, otherwise they would have been credited.

You can post the scene if you want - but showing a scene that parallels something Rebels did a few years ago proves, what? That they used the Ahsoka vs Vader fight as an inspiration? That's obvious. If that's the credit you're giving to Filoni then yeah he was involved from an inspiration point in certain scenes, but he clearly wasn't involved in the writing/arcs of the show.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I saw the scene - I saw the whole show.

I didn't particularly fall over the moon for it - there were some redeeming moments but I thought it was a step down from Mandalorian, because it was missing the Filoni touch.

I'm sure behind closed doors especially in the early stages, I remember reading that F/F suggested to raise the age of Leia to not have it be the exact same concept of saving a baby such as the Mandalorian, but this was a while ago as this project has been in development for some time.

The final product on screen really had nothing to do with them, otherwise they would have been credited.

You can post the scene if you want - but showing a scene that parallels something Rebels did a few years ago proves, what? That they used the Ahsoka vs Vader fight as an inspiration? That's obvious. If that's the credit you're giving to Filoni then yeah he was involved from an inspiration point in certain scenes, but he clearly wasn't involved in the writing/arcs of the show.
Fair…

I thought the scene worked brilliantly in consort if you know the rebels scene. A front end/backend moment around Vader. And bridged it to the OT.

And that’s how you weave a fanbase together. Maybe they see one or the other later and say…”that’s really cool…I get it”

That’s something they have been better at with these shows. They just need to ease off the hairbun jokes and the nonsense stuff.

I can do without the “Star Wars is funny” stuff…because that’s an exaggerated misnomer/excuse in my opinion. It’s fantastical…with some sarcasm/irony. You’re not supposed to be laughing your butt off.

spacemt354

Chili's
Fair…

I thought the scene worked brilliantly in consort if you know the rebels scene. A front end/backend moment around Vader. And bridged it to the OT.

And that’s how you weave a fanbase together. Maybe they see one or the other later and say…”that’s really cool…I get it”

That’s something they have been better at with these shows. They just need to ease off the hairbun jokes and the nonsense stuff.

I can do without the “Star Wars is funny” stuff…because that’s an exaggerated misnomer/excuse in my opinion. It’s fantastical…with some sarcasm/irony. You’re not supposed to be laughing your butt off.
I thought the show created more continuity errors than it needed to, but that's neither here nor there. I also don't think everything Filoni touches turns to gold. The first Clone Wars film wasn't great, and I got bored with the Bad Batch. The Book of Boba Fett was also tonally all over the place.

However with all that said he seems like someone who best aligns with the mindset of Lucas plus a lot of those faults can be forgiven by fans when they get things they want to see.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought the show created more continuity errors than it needed to, but that's neither here nor there. I also don't think everything Filoni touches turns to gold. The first Clone Wars film wasn't great, and I got bored with the Bad Batch. The Book of Boba Fett was also tonally all over the place.

However with all that said he seems like someone who best aligns with the mindset of Lucas plus a lot of those faults can be forgiven by fans when they get things they want to see.
Oh I agree with you about filoni. He’s a staunch George guy and George made a ton of mistakes and has always defended them (like the last johnson dude 🙄)…

I appreciate filoni more because he has an obvious love for the property that can be easily traced back to its impact on him…and that is not the same of some of the others they’ve rolled out.

His tales are far from perfect…but I still think he starts with “you know what would be really cool…?” In a concept meeting and would be one to say “this is crap/all wrong…we can’t release this” if it’s warranted in production.

I’ll take that..:don’t think he should run Star Wars though

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As far as this goes…

I don’t know if it was “intentional”…but they managed to be very clever in having the same sequence/dialogue with the only two characters that could “control his emotions” and provide “balance” to the AS character…master…student/master..:student.

The emperor never “controlled” him…yoda feared him.

Again…to pull that out of the disaster of the prequel era now is a feat.

I’m not even sure they tried to do it…but if a master cynic like me saw it…it worked.

I’d also argue it was Christiansen’s best face scene in the entire 25 years…such that it was 😂

In several ways this made the prequels and the EU offshoots more interesting.

LSLS

So not reshoots, just script and casting. May be uncredited, but filoni did have some say in things in this. That said, I still was not really a fan of this whole series.

spacemt354

Chili's

So not reshoots, just script and casting. May be uncredited, but filoni did have some say in things in this. That said, I still was not really a fan of this whole series.
I mean the article is basically what I said in a follow-up post above. The show was veering too close to Mandalorian and not to the liking of Kennedy so production was stopped/started again with Harold as the main writer.

I'm sure they offered early, broad suggestions but nothing close to creative control over the project which was my point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom