The Spa at Grand Floridian

ladybat2

Original Poster
I've devoured the net for any information I can find about the spa formerly called "Senses" at the Grand Floridian but I have not been able to find out much. Only that it is now reopened and no longer called Senses but instead just Grand Floridian Spa. Would like to know why. It was originally called the GF Spa and then changed I think back in 2012 to Senses and now back again to its original name.

The reason why I am so interested is I am a full service spa fan. I've got a WDW trip booked for early Oct for me and my adult daughter at Port Orleans French Quarter and want to book a spa day at the GF. The most recent and only info I came across was that it opened back up in Jan. Face masks for spa guests and employees were still mandatory in the spa then but someone who went in Jan right after it first opened back up claims they have now dropped the mask rule for guests in the spa. I've not been able to verify that because she claims it says that on the spa web site but I have not been able to find any thing saying that any where.

Also, this recent spa guest said she loved her experience there even though the steam room and whirl pool was closed. That also would be a deal breaker for me as when I go to a full service spa I want the whole spa experience that comes with the treatment/massage booking. You also get the spa for the whole day when you book a treatment or massage. This is why a massage or Pedi costs a lot more in a full service spa.

I know I can call and get the answers to these questions closer to the time I go but you know how it is when you first book your stay.... you are excited and want to know every thing even though its to early to know the answers to these types of questions. So you spend hours and hours neglecting your life scouring the net for every tiny detail for your trip... even down to memorizing air port maps so you know exactly where to go on your layover and how much time you have to get to point A to point B..... yea....Disney trip OCD.... I don't get to go that often but when I do this is always what happens to me. I'm sure a lot of you who don't get to go often or are first time goers can relate.

So, until I get closer to my trip date and can call and get better answers to questions about the Spa at the GF is there any one out there that has experienced this spa recently and can share how they liked it and what it was like?

Thanks every one and have a magical day!

LB

UncleFastpass

I read your post because I am interested in the spas at WDW. I’m headed to SSR in September and was sad to hear that the spa there (which is still called Senses)was still unavailable. I’m glad to hear the spa at GF is available. I chatted (online)with a representative who said the spa at SSR is still unavailable and they didn’t have any more info and to keep checking the site for updates.
I hope someone who has been to the spa at theGF recently responds because it would be nice to know what is available and what mask requirements are etc…
Have a Magical day!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@ladybat2 , I haven't been to the GF Spa for many years (only used it for a facial once, and another time, for a massage -- but not a whole day at the spa.. (So with the name change from Senses back to the GF Spa, it will be interesting to see what they're providing for services now.) I hope you can get some answers to your questions from some other forum members here, or by calling the Spa to see just exactly what is presently offered.

Just thought I'd also mention that the Dolphin hotel, over in the Epcot area, has the Mandara Spa. Went there a few years ago, and it was elegant. (There is a hair salon as well.) You might be interested to see their online site (they post all their treatment prices, which is helpful). They're in multiple locations worldwide, and also service some of the Norwegian Cruise Lines.

correcaminos

I can only add that I had a nail issue they fixed early June. No masks required at all. I didn't spend much time in there otherwise. As an FYI Four Seasons has a spa that is opened. Friend went and loved it there.

ladybat2

Original Poster
@ladybat2 , I haven't been to the GF Spa for many years (only used it for a facial once, and another time, for a massage -- but not a whole day at the spa.. (So with the name change from Senses back to the GF Spa, it will be interesting to see what they're providing for services now.) I hope you can get some answers to your questions from some other forum members here, or by calling the Spa to see just exactly what is presently offered.

Just thought I'd also mention that the Dolphin hotel, over in the Epcot area, has the Mandara Spa. Went there a few years ago, and it was elegant. (There is a hair salon as well.) You might be interested to see their online site (they post all their treatment prices, which is helpful). They're in multiple locations worldwide, and also service some of the Norwegian Cruise Lines.
Thanks! I was looking at the web site about Mandara. Looks very elegant and interesting!

ladybat2

Original Poster
I can only add that I had a nail issue they fixed early June. No masks required at all. I didn't spend much time in there otherwise. As an FYI Four Seasons has a spa that is opened. Friend went and loved it there.
I hope the policy stays this way about the no more masks. At least where the spa is concerned. I don't think I would like having to wear a mask while getting a massage.

ladybat2

Original Poster
I read your post because I am interested in the spas at WDW. I’m headed to SSR in September and was sad to hear that the spa there (which is still called Senses)was still unavailable. I’m glad to hear the spa at GF is available. I chatted (online)with a representative who said the spa at SSR is still unavailable and they didn’t have any more info and to keep checking the site for updates.
I hope someone who has been to the spa at theGF recently responds because it would be nice to know what is available and what mask requirements are etc…
Have a Magical day!
Hmmmm.... Ya know, this might be the reason the GF has now reverted their spa back to the Grand Floridian Spa and no longer the "Senses" spa. I think Senses is a different company thats contracted under Disney. Maybe Senses dos not want to open back up after the pandemic and Disney was ready to do so for its GFR Spa. The Senses spa at SSR is still under the name Senses. So Disney may have just decided not to use Senses for its GF spa so they could open it back up and start accepting guests for it. I don't know if that is why one spa is open and the other is not but it could be why. I've been curios about why GFR spa reverted back to its old name.

correcaminos

I hope the policy stays this way about the no more masks. At least where the spa is concerned. I don't think I would like having to wear a mask while getting a massage.
Orange County was high cdc community levels while there if that helps any. I doubt we'll see changes to that.

Lilofan

There is also another option a few minutes away from Disney Springs , at the Hyatt Grand Cypress resort called Marilyn Monroe spa . This spa was created by ex Disney execs. The spa is modeled after the blonde bombshell.

nicb88

I believe the SSR Spa has been discussed elsewhere and it was said it will not be reopening and has been converted into offices.

I hope that that is just a temporary re-use of the space but I’m not sure given the recent cost cutting!

correcaminos

I believe the SSR Spa has been discussed elsewhere and it was said it will not be reopening and has been converted into offices.

I hope that that is just a temporary re-use of the space but I’m not sure given the recent cost cutting!
I believe that was a temporary thing. Not permanent. Given how easy it was to get in at GF it might not be needed yet?

nicb88

I believe that was a temporary thing. Not permanent. Given how easy it was to get in at GF it might not be needed yet?
Very possible! The Spa at SS is really lovely but it is an off the beaten track location for it. I remember speaking with a therapist there who said they only get a percentage of the trade they get at GF, despite it being 3 times bigger.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Very possible! The Spa at SS is really lovely but it is an off the beaten track location for it. I remember speaking with a therapist there who said they only get a percentage of the trade they get at GF, despite it being 3 times bigger.
I spoke to a CM that works there and verified that while the rooms have been used for desks for the DVC Sales staff, it is a temporary thing, and the spa will reopen at some point. Our home resort is SSR, and we used the spa on every single trip as our first day relaxation and welcome to vacation time. We don't like the GF spa, so Disney is losing a bunch of money from us until they reopen SSR's spa.

correcaminos

I spoke to a CM that works there and verified that while the rooms have been used for desks for the DVC Sales staff, it is a temporary thing, and the spa will reopen at some point. Our home resort is SSR, and we used the spa on every single trip as our first day relaxation and welcome to vacation time. We don't like the GF spa, so Disney is losing a bunch of money from us until they reopen SSR's spa.
I do hope it reopens soon. It would definitely be a way I could sway some to stay at SSR. I know others have confirmed the SSR desk situation as temporary. I hope it's dropped soon!

I do like the GF spa and the SSR one but location wise one is often easier for me to get to than the other.

ladybat2

Original Poster
I was wondering why you don't like the GF spa? I was thinking of booking it for my trip in Oct. I've never used it. Looking at the Ritz-Carliton they charge only 10 bucks more for the massage I want and that includes all the spa amenities which are numerous. Its a much larger spa too and has more private spaces for relaxing in. The Hyatt looks like it has a nice one for the same pricing. I'm looking at different options for our spa day there.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I was wondering why you don't like the GF spa? I was thinking of booking it for my trip in Oct. I've never used it. Looking at the Ritz-Carliton they charge only 10 bucks more for the massage I want and that includes all the spa amenities which are numerous. Its a much larger spa too and has more private spaces for relaxing in. The Hyatt looks like it has a nice one for the same pricing. I'm looking at different options for our spa day there.
The spa at SSR, while it has separate facilities for men and women, has a common waiting area where couples can wait together for whatever service they wish. We always do couples massages and mani/pedis so waiting together is much preferred. Unless it has changed, GF Spa has separate waiting areas, so you don't even see your spouse until the actual service. We also prefer the larger areas for dressing, whirlpool, sauna, etc. that SSR has.

ladybat2

Original Poster
If you do a polish change do you get to enjoy all the amenities of the spa?
At the full service spas I've been to they require a mim. 50 min service. But they usually have an option to pay to just use the spa for a day with out getting a service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom