Tinkerbell Too Sexy? Parents Worry Toys Too Hot for Kids....

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Check it out:

http://www.parentdish.com/2011/03/09/tinkerbell-too-sexy/

Tinkerbell Too Sexy? Parents Worry Toys Too Hot for Kids

by Tom Henderson (Subscribe to Tom Henderson's posts)
Mar 9th 2011 3:20PM
101Comments

<?xml:namespace prefix = fb ns = "http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" /><fb:like class=" fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" href="http://www.parentdish.com/2011/03/09/tinkerbell-too-sexy/" width="300" layout="button_count" show_faces="false" action="like"><IFRAME class=fb_ltr id=f230aae0b2fe594 title="Like this content on Facebook." style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 300px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; HEIGHT: 19px" name=f22ce6390ca6cc4 src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=like&api_key=141427805868294&channel_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F_uac%2Faol-facebook-social-channel.html%3Ffb_xd_fragment%23%3F%3D%26cb%3Df1802bedc32967e%26relation%3Dparent.parent%26transport%3Dfragment&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F2011%2F03%2F09%2Ftinkerbell-too-sexy%2F&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&node_type=1&sdk=joey&show_faces=false&width=300" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no onload=FB.Content._callbacks.ff29f723725fd7() allowTransparency></IFRAME></fb:like>

Filed under: In The News, Toys
<!--div class="textSize">Text Size: </div-->
tinkerbell.jpg
Is Tinkerbell hotter than she should be? Credit: Disney.com

Tinkerbell is too sexy?

Some parents are worried, claiming this is not the innocent fairy they remember from the 1953 Disney animated movie.

Really? Have they seen the movie lately?

Animators had a lot of fun with Tinkerbell's tush. First, she measures it with a hand mirror. Later, she's trapped in a drawer and can't get her rear end (which animators admitted they modeled after Marilyn Monroe's fabled derrière) through the keyhole. Viewers are treated to a rear view scene of Tink repeatedly thrusting her herself against the hole.

Soon thereafter, in an effort to shake loose some pixie dust, Peter Pan gives her a right good spanking.

All this was in 1953. Tink has since gathered an entourage of fellow flirtatious fairies. The Disney Fairies star in a line of toys and direct-to-DVD movies popular among the preteen girl crowd. And some parents worry the fairies are giving come-hither looks and wearing skimpy outfits that send girls the wrong message.

But is Tink really sexier than she was 58 years ago? Maybe not, but a professor at the University of Iowa who studies gender roles tells ParentDish there is still a big difference between the versions.
<IFRAME style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(153,153,153) 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(153,153,153) 1px solid; DISPLAY: block; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; FLOAT: right; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; MARGIN-LEFT: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(153,153,153) 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(153,153,153) 1px solid" src="http://webcenter.polls.aol.com/modular.jsp?template=1772&view=191246&pollId=191538&channel=A+Demo+Poll+Group" frameBorder=0 width=200 scrolling=no height=250></IFRAME><!--END POLL CODE-->
Meenakshi Gigi Durham says Tinkerbell and her fairy friends are now part of a mass marketing effort -- with countless products -- targeting little girls.

And there's a danger in that, she says.

"The dolls certainly present a narrow, commercially defined version of femininity and sexuality that is neither progressive nor diverse," Durham tells ParentDish.

Durham, a journalism professor, focuses on media with an emphasis on gender, sexuality, race and youth cultures. She is the author of "The Lolita Effect," a 2008 book about how girls are forced to become too sexy too soon.

She's not alone in her opinion of Tinkerbell and company.

"They send the message to kids that you can't just be you," Lori Mayfield, a 30-year-old mother of four from Draper, Utah, tells NBC News.

She says she and her husband even found themselves debating which fairy is the hottest. (They decided it was Silvermist.)

And it's not just Disney Fairies raising eyebrows.

There's also Monster High, a line of dolls featuring the adolescent offspring of various monsters. One of them, Clawdeen Wolf, is a werewolf who waxes her legs.

Margaux Vega, spokeswoman for Mattel, tells NBC News she figures a lot of girls can relate.

"Girls of a certain age know about the embarrassment of unwanted hair in unwanted places," she says.

However, hairy legs are hardly a problem among the dolls' target demographic of girls ages 5 to 7.

Still, Vega adds, she sees nothing wrong with the little monsters in their fishnet stockings, heavy makeup and short shorts.

"Monster High is all about celebrating your imperfections and accepting the imperfections of others," she tells NBC News.

Durham remains unconvinced.

"The body types, clothing and emphasis on practices of beautification like waxing and shaving reinforce really regressive and sexist notions of what girlhood is all about," she tells ParentDish.

Peggy Orenstein, author of "Cinderella Ate My Daughter," tells NBC News the effect of oversexed dolls is insidious.

"Girls don't naturally want to be sexy," she tells the network. "They want to be girls. That is natural. When they continue to see images of toys that are supposed to be age-appropriate emulating sexiness, then that unnatural aspiration becomes natural."

Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M1B7dGlmres" frameBorder=0 width=590 height=390 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Honestly? Parents have a lot more legitimate things to worry about. "Politically correct" is getting ridiculous.

Little girls playing with dolls is a normal part of growing up. Barbie is a lot more curvaceous and has been around for decades. "Sexy"? It's dolls for girls! People are way too uptight.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Honestly? Parents have a lot more legitimate things to worry about. "Politically correct" is getting ridiculous.

Little girls playing with dolls is a normal part of growing up. Barbie is a lot more curvaceous and has been around for decades. "Sexy"? It's dolls for girls! People are way too uptight.

:lol: agreed!

Auroragirl

True, but I understand the flip side too.... some of these dolls are little crazy.

However, if you dont want your kids playing with a certain type of doll (and some are little out there) then don't buy it... and don't criticize anyone else for doing so....

Oh yea... and Silvermist is so not the hottest one! lol :p

Malvito

can't get her rear end (which animators admitted they modeled after Marilyn Monroe's fabled derrière)

Urban myth. Marc Davis modelled Tink after Margaret Kerry, who was cast to model for Tinkerbell and one of the mermaids. Marilyn Monroe was only coming into prominence in 1953, the year Peter Pan was released, but the movie had been in development for years.

epcotWSC

Seriously?

People are too wound up over sexual things. Tinkerbell? Really? If people haven't noticed, Disney tends to make all of their female leads animated beauties. I guess soon we're going to start rating Disney moves R.

Malvito

Seriously?

People are too wound up over sexual things. Tinkerbell? Really? If people haven't noticed, Disney tends to make all of their female leads animated beauties. I guess soon we're going to start rating Disney moves R.

Have to agree on this one. I remember when Pochontas was released, part of the hubbub was the fact that she was drawn to be tall and attractive. One parent, who complained to the local newspaper that she had not taken her child to see the movie and was not going to, claimed that Pocahontas was bikini-clad. Since she was determined not to see the movie anyway, she would never realize that the character was wearing a one-piece outfit, and that true historical accuracy would have had the character wearing nothing at all.

I think a lot of this has more to do with dumping on Disney than any real concern for the morals of the children.

tiaragirl

While I agree with you all (AKA that this is a little out of hand) there is a point to be made about sexiness and children's recent pop culture. Do I think Tinkerbell is too sexy? No. Do I see the point, sociologically? Yes.

Personally, I have more of a problem with the fact that Tink is bratty in the original PP, not with her rear-end on display. So much of the merch surrounding Tinkerbell is about being "spoiled" and having "attitude". That's not teaching girls to "be natural" either.

Enddddding the Soc rant.

Crockett

Banned
1. Whatever happened to simply not buying the product if you don't like it?

2. Sailor Moon, She-Ra...those characters are okay. But Tinkerbell!!...now that's going too far. :rolleyes:

3. It's pretty sad that we keep breeding generation after generation to become more sheltered (a.k.a. wussy) than the previous. But when we get to a point where a Disney animated fairy is just too much for our kids to handle...consider it time to hang it up, America. Let's just surrender now and make it quick.

4. IT'S A CARTOON

5. Re-emphasize #1 to these parents. (It takes a lot less effort than whining, and sets a much better example for your children).

njDizFan

America still seems to be stuck in a puritan culture.

Consumers have the option of not purchasing what they deem explicit.

That being said, feminine iconography is often over the top with the male/society idea of $exuality.

OMG here we go, you know what I say...if the so parents think Tink is too sexy shut it off...you have the power in your hand or shut up!! sorry...
I'm a huge Tink fan and I am sick and tired of ppl making something out of nothing. Can't parents just watch a cartoon and enjoy it anymore. Sheesh!!! Everyone seems very uptight!:rolleyes:

Delacey_Lehane

I thought I’d respond to this post from 11 years ago to comment: bet you didn’t see political correctness coming this far? We’re a far cry from the good old days of 2011. Political correctness was ridiculous in 2011, but compared to today ot was practically non-existent.
Man, I wish I had a time machine…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom