News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
2)I agree it's odd that if they are so far along with animatronics they didn't tease anything. WDI loves to toot their own horn.
Not when there are those who are against the change. Giving teasers is just a chance for rioters to grab their pitchforks and torches and for another whole round of Cringegate on YouTube.

Better to just show a nearly finished product than to give people the idea they can affect changes if they post enough words on the Internet.

LittleBuford

Just about everything since in 2017 is tired and uninteresting compared to what it should be. Upkeep sucks.

Water stains literally dripping down the first theater tiles of Carousel of a progress and not a single rotating scrim scene operating like they
Are supposed to.
Just one example.
It wasn’t an upkeep issue for me, though. I love Carousel of Progress and plenty of other attractions that haven’t been well maintained. I just didn’t think The Great Movie Ride was a strong attraction; I found it to be less than the sum of its parts, if that makes sense.

JD80

I'm all about continued education and there are a lot of platforms for that that Disney owns.

Magic Kingdom isn't a museum though and they should make rides that are fun and enjoyable. I'm for Disney retheming old rides whenever they want if not just to keep the parks new and up to date with the latest technology.

I've got young children. I hope by the time I'm bringing my grand children that the rides are completely different but with just a touch of legacy so that the nostalgia and tradition remain intact.

And I'm not talking about gutting rides for the sake of gutting them. But people can't be afraid of change. Walt certainly wasnt.

RSoxNo1

Let’s see how many AA’s are taken out and how many screens go up.
At this point, I’d be ok with TSI reworked into a bayou land with a completely new Tiana ride (or 2) and the riverboat permanently parked and converted into a restaurant…and I LOVE TSI
For people complaining about the footprint Jungle Cruise takes up, they need to look at Tom Sawyer Island first.

Smiley/OCD

Why are we suggesting the removal of actually good attractions like Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island, but not the Speedway? 🤨
Probably because as much as people on here hate it, the wait times are still long and it’s a people eater…not the same with TSI or SFRTH

Ghost93

So you’re the person who thinks the Swiss Family Treehouse is a good attraction.
As someone who grew up with Swiss Family Robinson on VHS in the 90s I think it's a great walk-through attraction, but I also think that from a business standpoint it would make sense to replace it. While I have fond memories of the film, I know most people in my generation never saw it and I'm pretty certain most of Gen Z has never seen it. While the attraction is an accurate and loving tribute to the treehouse in the film, since the film has faded into obscurity among most moviegoers, I think you will increasingly see more and more people puzzled about what the attraction is and why it's still in the parks.

Animaniac93-98

As someone who grew up with Swiss Family Robinson on VHS in the 90s I think it's a great walk-through attraction, but I also think that from a business standpoint it would make sense to replace it. While I have fond memories of the film, I know most people in my generation never saw it and I'm pretty certain most of Gen Z has never seen it. While the attraction is an accurate and loving tribute to the treehouse in the film, since the film has faded into obscurity among most moviegoers, I think you will increasingly see more and more people puzzled about what the attraction is and why it's still in the parks.

I walked through it last year and it still got a reaction out of kids. Overhead one asking if it was a real house.

People know what treehouses are. This is an extra fancy one. Not a hard concept to understand.

I think after half a century it has proven its worth and enduring appeal.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Unless you count the Coco scene in PhilharMagic, Laugh Floor is the only MK attraction based on a movie released this century* [TRON will be #2]...but the park is still the most popular in WDW by a wide margin.

People, including Disney's top brass, overstate and misunderstand what they believe to be "relevance" when it comes to their attractions. The one that charges extra for Lightning Lane is based on their oldest feature film.

*I guess we can count Pirates too, but that opened and was popular for decades prior...and of course the whole reason the movie exists.

James Alucobond

Unless you count the Coco scene in PhilharMagic, Laugh Floor is the only MK attraction based on a movie released this century* [TRON will be #2]...but the park is still the most popular in WDW by a wide margin.
I mean, a lot of their output this century has been live action remakes of their output from last century, so there's still a fairly strong connection between what they're putting out now and what you see in the Magic Kingdom.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
While the attraction is an accurate and loving tribute to the treehouse in the film, since the film has faded into obscurity among most moviegoers, I think you will increasingly see more and more people puzzled about what the attraction is and why it's still in the parks.

The biggest thing it has going for it is that it takes up (relatively speaking) no space (or at least not space that could be better utilized for something objectively better) while also adding to the area thematically. I honestly wish MK had more walk through attractions like this. It's a nice way to escape the crowds for a few minutes and takes minimal upkeep by the park. It's one thing DLP has a lot of that I wish we had...

Animaniac93-98

The biggest thing it has going for it is that it takes up (relatively speaking) no space (or at least not space that could be better utilized for something objectively better) while also adding to the area thematically. I honestly wish MK had more walk through attractions like this. It's a nice way to escape the crowds for a few minutes and takes minimal upkeep by the park. It's one thing DLP has a lot of that I wish we had...

Even if they were to replace it with something that directly makes $ like a shop or food stand, it would still cost quite a bit to remove it entirely, build something new and then staff/stock whatever ends up in that space.

Ghost93

Even if they were to replace it with something that directly makes $ like a shop or food stand, it would still cost quite a bit to remove it entirely, build something new and then staff/stock whatever ends up in that space.
Good point. I think if Disney really wanted to replace a classic attraction, it would be Tom Sawyer Island as that's a huge portion of the park that doesn't get a lot of foot traffic. And while nowhere near as controversial as Song of the South, the Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn novels still contain elements that I'm sure the current Disney leadership would find problematic.

TalkingHead

People, including Disney's top brass, overstate and misunderstand what they believe to be "relevance" when it comes to their attractions. The one that charges extra for Lightning Lane is based on their oldest feature film.

*I guess we can count Pirates too, but that opened and was popular for decades prior...and of course the whole reason the movie exists.
Pretty wild to think about it like that. And technically Tron is a 1980s IP resurrected this century!

UNCgolf

Why are we suggesting the removal of actually good attractions like Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island, but not the Speedway? 🤨

I think Jungle Cruise should go. I also don't think it's a good attraction, though. Even before AK it was mediocre at best, but the JC was created to show people animals and AK fulfills that purpose in a more satisfying way. If it was smaller then meh, but it has a gigantic footprint that could be utilized much better.

Regardless, the Speedway is absolutely #1 on the list of things that should go.

EDIT: While talking about the Magic Kingdom, at least. Imagination is #1 resort wide, and every other park needs more before they do anything else to the MK.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Good point. I think if Disney really wanted to replace a classic attraction, it would be Tom Sawyer Island as that's a huge portion of the park that doesn't get a lot of foot traffic. And while nowhere near as controversial as Song of the South, the Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn novels still contain elements that I'm sure the current Disney leadership would find problematic.
I think TSI is similar to the treehouse in that replacing it is probably more of a headache that it's worth without massively reworking the entire area. Unless you just mean an overlay like they did at Disneyland, they'd have to either get rid of or severely alter the Rivers of America to do anything meaningful with that space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom