Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

solidyne

What financial reason did they have to build the skyliner?

There is a financial reason to do anything that improves the WDW Resort and even more reason to do things that improve the experience for WDW Resort guests.

One thing that is worth discussing is that an “expansion of the WDW monorail system” could be a smaller monorail - not the expansion of the full size Mark VI / Mark VII style.

For example.... All-Stars to Blizzard Beach to Studios and Coronado Springs to Blizzard Beach to Hollywood studios. (The two lines could share tracks from BB to DHS).
A mini-monorail would be awesome!

IIRC, Martin alluded a while back to the possibility/potential for some kind of transportation (non-Skyliner) in the DHS entry area. Light rail, though, I think. Not elevated.

bcoachable

A mini-monorail would be awesome!

IIRC, Martin alluded a while back to the possibility/potential for some kind of transportation (non-Skyliner) in the DHS entry area. Light rail, though, I think. Not elevated.
I remember he mentioned something from AK to AK Lodge- but I don’t remember him ever committing to what it would be? @marni1971

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Thats because they no longer do. I just double checked and I am NOT correct.

Apparently sometime in the past they have absorbed the resort fee back into the room rate. A good move in my opinion, but one that I was unaware of and I apologize for the misinformation.
Well, it's just a matter of time until it's back, and with a vengeance: Disney is leveling down to the common denominator in hotel service.

gsimpson

There certainly is financial reason to replace the existing monorails. As equipment ages it becomes less and less reliable and maintenance costs go up. As the monorails get older inspections have to become more frequent. That is part of the reason. Here is a bigger reason that many may not be aware of: When the monorails were designed they were engineered with a specific useful life. Probably well past by now. That life is very important when it come to materials and welds. Once a device goes past it's design life you have to start inspected every joint and major member because you have to inspect for stress and fatigue , whereas before it reached its design life you could rely on the engineering and assume" a lot of it is still good based on life and safety factor in design. If they were to have a major failure of some structural component, and the device was past its end of life, then you have a lawyers feeding frenzy. This, for those playing at home, was the EXACT reason Universal rebuilt Hulk, it was still massively popular but it was past it's design life to for litigation reasons they rebuilt a nearly identical coaster with all new track and everything with precious few actual changes.

JoeCamel

If it was just a matter of ordering new trains I think it would have happened. Problem is who can you order from?
The redesign to put new design trains on the beam gets really pricy so in typical Disney style of late they went with refurbished the existing fleet.

Disone

If it was just a matter of ordering new trains I think it would have happened. Problem is who can you order from?
The redesign to put new design trains on the beam gets really pricy so in typical Disney style of late they went with refurbished the existing fleet.
Hummmmm. I feel like this leaves the door open to a good example of Disney's.... In particular WDW's one tracked, singular, mono-focused attention on improved track record for the share holder experience.

lazyboy97o

Bombardier’s INNOVIA 200 monorail was originally sold as the M-VI because it is based on the Mark VI at Walt Disney World.

JoeCamel

Bombardier’s INNOVIA 200 monorail was originally sold as the M-VI because it is based on the Mark VI at Walt Disney World.
If all they wanted to do is get new rolling stock on the same line there is a solution as you point out but is that really any better than refurbing (properly) the current fleet? I'm not sure it is that much of a benefit but now if they wanted to knock down the Contemporary and build a tower with a connected platform they could really have a modern system. As it stands it will be an old quirky monorail until it just isn't any more

mysto

If all they wanted to do is get new rolling stock on the same line there is a solution as you point out but is that really any better than refurbing (properly) the current fleet? I'm not sure it is that much of a benefit but now if they wanted to knock down the Contemporary and build a tower with a connected platform they could really have a modern system. As it stands it will be an old quirky monorail until it just isn't any more
Yes functionally a refurb is probably about the same as new, but from a CYA perspective new trains have an advantage.

If there is an accident with old trains it will be considered Disney's fault.
If there is an accident with new trains it will be considered Bombardier's fault.

I don't expect a major issue with these things though, and I hope there is none because it would probably spell the end.

Goofyernmost

Yes functionally a refurb is probably about the same as new, but from a CYA perspective new trains have an advantage.

If there is an accident with old trains it will be considered Disney's fault.
If there is an accident with new trains it will be considered Bombardier's fault.

I don't expect a major issue with these things though, and I hope there is none because it would probably spell the end.
That would only be thought by people that don't know a bolt from an ice cube!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom