News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Dear Prudence

I’m sure it has been discussed, but I’m curious… the ride being a sequel, are we assuming the two most memorable characters from the film (besides, arguably, Tiana herself), Facilier and Ray, will be absent or, at the least, very minor components of the ride?
They said there would be new characters.
If Lottie and Eudora are absent, I am done.

Casper Gutman

They said there would be new characters.
If Lottie and Eudora are absent, I am done.
By new characters, I suspect we’re talking about the existing Splash Mountain AAs in slightly different outfits. So possibly no Ray, no Facilier, not even the frog forms that the protagonists inhabit for most of the film. The sequel format is a bad idea, even worse then in Frozen Ever After.

There is certainly good reason to replace Splash with a Frog ride, but if they are going to do so Disney needs to level the entire structure and start from scratch. The fact that they aren’t going to do that is more proof, if any were needed, that current Disney design philosophy doesn’t understand theming - they see it as a bucket of paint that can be applied to any structure rather then something that needs to be wound into every step of the design process, from the placement of a ride to the nature of the physical ride experience to the shape of the structure. To see how little Disney understands this, we need only look at GotG - even among the many posters that enjoy the physical experience of the (very expensive) ride, the story and theme are secondary at best, badly implemented at worst - a thin veneer on a generic structure, so detached that they seem like they could be swapped out overnight. I love MMRR, but it’s placement and queue (up to the pre-show) is an uninspired mess slapped into an unsuitable space. Much of the spirit of Frog comes from the urban setting of New Orleans - where will that be in the ride? Is the Louisiana swamp known for its mountains?

The motives behind this change are good, but the half-hearted way Disney is approaching it reeks of insincerity. Go big. Rip it out and start again - with a massive budget.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
If you think frozen ever after was done well or that Mickey and Minnie was done well I’m sure you will enjoy this. To me that is what we’re getting. There simply not going to want to spend the money to make something Jaw dropping.
I totally agree on Frozen but im curious what you think is wrong with Mickey and Minnie? Granted i loved GMR and felt it should have been refurbed and MMRR placed somewhere else as an addition but i truly enjoyed the ride.

TheMaxRebo

By new characters, I suspect we’re talking about the existing Splash Mountain AAs in slightly different outfits. So possibly no Ray, no Facilier, not even the frog forms that the protagonists inhabit for most of the film. The sequel format is a bad idea, even worse then in Frozen Ever After.

There is certainly good reason to replace Splash with a Frog ride, but if they are going to do so Disney needs to level the entire structure and start from scratch. The fact that they aren’t going to do that is more proof, if any were needed, that current Disney design philosophy doesn’t understand theming - they see it as a bucket of paint that can be applied to any structure rather then something that needs to be wound into every step of the design process, from the placement of a ride to the nature of the physical ride experience to the shape of the structure. To see how little Disney understands this, we need only look at GotG - even among the many posters that enjoy the physical experience of the (very expensive) ride, the story and theme are secondary at best, badly implemented at worst - a thin veneer on a generic structure, so detached that they seem like they could be swapped out overnight. I love MMRR, but it’s placement and queue (up to the pre-show) is an uninspired mess slapped into an unsuitable space. Much of the spirit of Frog comes from the urban setting of New Orleans - where will that be in the ride? Is the Louisiana swamp known for its mountains?

The motives behind this change are good, but the half-hearted way Disney is approaching it reeks of insincerity. Go big. Rip it out and start again - with a massive budget.

Personally while I do think Splash needs to be updated I still think it is an amazing ride system so don't want to see it leveled

Definitely would welcome changing the theme to another one that fits the ride structure and location better and then give PatF a brand new attraction built purposely from the ground up father than forcing it into the Splash structure

Unbanshee

Just popping back in here to say that I would be pretty surprised if they didn't wait out the holiday season before closing Splash. It would make little sense especially when they could use the extra capacity right now. They also don't want a slew of attention (YouTubers, bloggers, etc.) on Splash's closure and not on Tron's opening.

So first it was closing in the next couple of months, and now we have until January 2023?

Animaniac93-98

While Frozen Ever After takes place after the first movie, and has a scene where the girls are wearing their Frozen Fever dresses, it's basically just a book report of Frozen 1.

I would not be surprised if this ride ends up in a similar way, if only to give a spotlight to certain characters who should otherwise not be there.

Animaniac93-98

Definitely would welcome changing the theme to another one that fits the ride structure and location better and then give PatF a brand new attraction built purposely from the ground up father than forcing it into the Splash structure

Yes, this would be the best option for the park and its guests, but Disney would never do that because they always chose the option that's cheapest/fastest in the short term (see: Frozen Ever After and MMRR vs building these new rides elsewhere and updating what they replaced)

Sir_Cliff

While Frozen Ever After takes place after the first movie, and has a scene where the girls are wearing their Frozen Fever dresses, it's basically just a book report of Frozen 1.

I would not be surprised if this ride ends up in a similar way, if only to give a spotlight to certain characters who should otherwise not be there.
I know there is a lot of hate for Frozen Ever After, but I personally think they did a reasonable job of giving people what they expect in terms of characters and songs while avoiding a strict retelling of the film along the lines of The Little Mermaid. It's basically just a ride through the world of Frozen, which I think is fine.

I am not a huge fan of the film so am not sure, but from what people are saying it seems like they're creating problems for themselves by trying to make this take place after the film when several characters technically shouldn't be around and one of the most well-liked songs could be out of place. They may just ignore that and/or find work-arounds, but you'd think they would have learnt from Galaxy's Edge that they shouldn't straitjacket themselves by imposing timelines that vastly restrict how they can use their IPs to the point of excluding key characters.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I am not a huge fan of the film so am not sure, but from what people are saying it seems like they're creating problems for themselves by trying to make this take place after the film when several characters technically shouldn't be around and one of the most well-liked songs could be out of place. They may just ignore that and/or find work-arounds, but you'd think they would have learnt from Galaxy's Edge that they shouldn't straitjacket themselves by imposing timelines that vastly restrict how they can use their IPs to the point of excluding key characters.

The idea of maybe not having Facillier in the ride sounds like a huge mistake, but would not be out of line with recent attractions based on Princess movies that deemphasize their villains;

Hans is not in Frozen Ever After
Gaston is not in Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride
Ursula has one scene in Little Mermaid, but her defeat is downplayed significantly
They changed Snow White in Disneyland to make it less scary

Disney Glimpses

But anyways, to clarify, as I said in my original post - TRON is fast-tracked to move Splash Mountain along. As for their plans re: timing for the closure of Splash Mountain, I have no idea (as I've admitted). My intuition here is telling me they will let TRON open and then close Splash when that hype dies down after the holiday season (where they can use the added capacity anyways).

UpAllNight

My preference would still be a full, proper update to the current ride, but I felt the age of the attraction this year & was more willing to embrace the change. I'm concerned about the quality of the final product though. I have a feeling they'll put a lot of money into a few animatronics that will look great, but will be lacking in sheer numbers that Splash enjoys

Kirby86

They wouldn't have to. From a PR perspective, they would've basically disowned the film and moved on with the "core components of Walt's vision" and stuck with that forever.
I'm not sure how true this is but I've heard that was the original plan even when Walt was alive. Song of the South was going to be used to introduce the Brers and then they'd have their own shorts without the Uncle Remus character. However Song of the South wasn't received well critically and those plans were scratched.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
IMG_20220618_204555_556.jpg

I highly highly doubt this is true. Disney would be taking every moment possible to show off their new experience with Tiana (Ala Guardians or MMRR)

Last edited:

Kirby86

I highly highly doubt this is true. Disney would be taking every moment possible to show off their new experience with Tiana (Ala Guardians or MMRR)
A few things. 1) All the scenery is made out of concrete so it really does seem like it'll be the same sets but with more blues and greens to better match up with Princess and the Frog's color pallet. 2)I agree it's odd that if they are so far along with animatronics they didn't tease anything. WDI loves to toot their own horn. 3) I joked about them reusing the current logs and just buffing out Brer Rabbit and I find it hilarious thay could be the case. 4) if they have a presentation for D23 I wonder how loud the boos will be. People were mad at them changing the Wench auction in Pirates. Retheming a classic like Splash? Oh boy I do not envy that presenter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom