Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Here is some US hospitalization data/trend. Just cuz...

1655475429744.png

correcaminos

This is why I take everything here as opinion. As one should when on an internet forum. Good practice IMO.
That wasn't what I was getting at and I'm sure you know it.

I'm not a fan of the word "fact" when used in a scientific context, and especially for an evolving subject like COVID. A "fact" is a legal concept, for something that verifiably did or did not happen. Science and medicine aren't driven by unalterable absolutes, but by a consensus agreement among qualified peers on what the best available data shows. Look at the data from a new angle, make a more precise measurement than was possible before, use a new technique or throw in a new variable, and the consensus can change. COVID is somewhat unique in recent medical history in that a huge amount of research came out in a very short time, and the actual behavior of the virus also changed rapidly. So, we were constantly drowning in new data to interpret while also swimming uphill against a rapidly evolving virus.

So, over the past few years, I've learned to almost ignore when people use verbiage like "And that's a fact", because like use of the word "literally" has evolved to actually mean "figuratively", "and that's a fact" now almost means "And that's my opinion".
I understand what you mean. To clarify since I was really typing for speed.... people take scientific findings as opinions is my issue. Then they share their opinion based on no solid science and present it as an actual fact. I follow science and findings. Not when people try to twist and give what their best friend's sister's boyfriend said.

drizgirl

Boosters were never recommended in this country only two months apart and they're not going to be now.
My comment wasn't about an official recommendation about when to get boosters. It was a comment about roughly how long the vaccine does a strong job of preventing infection.

Lilofan

Looks like they've plateaued out. Cases I believe have done the same. Maybe the summer wave has peaked and is starting to come down.
First monkey pox case discovered in the Orlando area and the person in their 30s did not travel according to WESH local news.

correcaminos

Ah, I do not then. *insert something flying over my head meme*
Ah no worries. Don't feel like getting into it. Too long and drawn out and I am plain tired from going from store to store ro replace food. Fun times... 🤣

And I have to wear a mask thanks to my stupid spouse who stupidly picked it after we got home 😝

My comment wasn't about an official recommendation about when to get boosters. It was a comment about roughly how long the vaccine does a strong job of preventing infection.
Still inaccurate to say.

First monkey pox case discovered in the Orlando area and the person did not travel according to WESH local news.
We have it in Ohio too. No comments on the patient's history though.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So I checked in for my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise the other day. Their app allows you to load your vaccine information which is nice. Rules as of today: You are required to be vaxxed if you are 12 or older. But vaccinated people still need to do a pre-cruise antigen or PCR test no more than 2 days prior to boarding day. And unvaccinated kids must do a PCR test no more than 3 days before. Also, unvaccinated kids will be required to take a free antigen test on boarding day during check-in. My 4 year old will fall into this category. Finally, unnvaccinated kids will need to take a departure test if the sailing is 5 nights or longer, which ours is.

Face masks are optional while on board the ship. However, some destinations could require masks.

correcaminos

So I checked in for my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise the other day. Their app allows you to load your vaccine information which is nice. Rules as of today: You are required to be vaxxed if you are 12 or older. But vaccinated people still need to do a pre-cruise antigen or PCR test no more than 2 days prior to boarding day. And unvaccinated kids must do a PCR test no more than 3 days before. Also, unvaccinated kids will be required to take a free antigen test on boarding day during check-in. My 4 year old will fall into this category. Finally, unnvaccinated kids will need to take a departure test if the sailing is 5 nights or longer, which ours is.

Face masks are optional while on board the ship. However, some destinations could require masks.
That sounds like a pain. I know some annoyed with all the testing requirements. I don't want to debate it but totally see both sides easily. I would be vaccinating just to avoid it (but I know kids were just approved by FDA) I do hope you have a great trip though.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That sounds like a pain. I know some annoyed with all the testing requirements. I don't want to debate it but totally see both sides easily. I would be vaccinating just to avoid it (but I know kids were just approved by FDA) I do hope you have a great trip though.
I think the testing part is unnecessary when considering omicron (how long it takes to show up on tests at times) and how pretty much everyone is required to be vaxxed, but for an 8 night trip, I will deal with it. Especially since I don't have to deal with any mask requirement.
My 9 year old is vaccinated and just boosted (poor girl had a fever for the day once again), but we will not have enough time to get my 4 year old vaxxed. It is what it is....

correcaminos

I think the testing part is unnecessary when considering omicron (how long it takes to show up on tests at times) and how pretty much everyone is required to be vaxxed, but for an 8 night trip, I will deal with it. Especially since I don't have to deal with any mask requirement.
My 9 year old is vaccinated and just boosted (poor girl had a fever for the day once again), but we will not have enough time to get my 4 year old vaxxed. It is what it is....
I hear you and agree. Sorry your 9yo had a fever. I feel for those who react poorly. Been lucky only sore arms here. It's not the end of the world at least for your 4yo. Slightly annoying they didn't get this in earlier but... it is what it is as you said.

Vegas Disney Fan

We’re doing a Disney cruise (my first 🎉) in January and I’m hoping the testing requirement for vaxxed people end before then, we’ll be at WDW prior to our cruise and I don’t want to interrupt our trip to go get tested but I also don’t want to wait til we get to the terminal and be worried a couple extras days we won’t be able to board.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We’re doing a Disney cruise (my first 🎉) in January and I’m hoping the testing requirement for vaxxed people end before then, we’ll be at WDW prior to our cruise and I don’t want to interrupt our trip to go get tested but I also don’t want to wait til we get to the terminal and be worried a couple extras days we won’t be able to board.
We have a DCL one booked for December. They have some lingering mask rules as well (like masks for the young kids in youth activity spaces), but this should change now that that age group can be vaccinated.

"Face coverings are optional for most Guests throughout our ships. Guests under 5 years of age who are currently ineligible to be vaccinated will be required to wear face coverings in Youth Activity spaces and in the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique; and, while not required, we continue to strongly recommend these Guests wear a face covering in all other indoor locations. In the US, face coverings are optional on motorcoach transportation and in the Disney Cruise Line Terminal but may be required in ports of call and cruise terminals outside of the US based on local government requirements.

Face coverings are optional in many areas at Disney Castaway Cay. However, all Guests (ages 2 and up, including those who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19) are required to wear appropriate face coverings while traveling on trams or other island transportation, in merchandise locations, in dining pavilions when not actively eating or drinking and in restrooms."

disneygeek90

We've all pretty much gotten over it. I still have a little congestion and slight cough, but out of the 3 of us that's it. I hope the immunity from the vaxx + booster + just getting over it gives us enough protection to head down for a week or so and not have to worry so much
I looked this up after my positive test a month ago. Apparently it is very, very, hard to test positive again so recently. You should be in the clear for at least a few months especially if it's the same strain that's in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom