News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

Rich Brownn

This is a very good point. Admittedly I am one that goes OHHHH new Marvel ride or OHHHH new attraction with the new thing. But what are the favorites? Pirates, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain. While Marvel has staying power, will it 10-15 years from now? If not what happens? Why you gotta make me think?
Scary piece of trivia: Marvel is already knee deep in planning the next 10 years of movies and tv shows.

MagicHappens1971

This is a very good point. Admittedly I am one that goes OHHHH new Marvel ride or OHHHH new attraction with the new thing. But what are the favorites? Pirates, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain. While Marvel has staying power, will it 10-15 years from now? If not what happens? Why you gotta make me think?
Marvel is not going anywhere. People forget Star Wars has been around and quite prevalent in pop culture for nearly 50 years. It’s safe to say that Marvel will stay the same, especially considering the largest media company in the world owns both franchises.

RSoxNo1

Marvel is not going anywhere. People forget Star Wars has been around and quite prevalent in pop culture for nearly 50 years. It’s safe to say that Marvel will stay the same, especially considering the largest media company in the world owns both franchises.
The MCU does run the risk of fatigue though. 3 movies a year was sustainable but add in Disney+ series alongside it and the only possible recourse is fatigue. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it or that I'm against the content, but ultimately that ship will sale.

Pixar was box office gold for a long stretch at one point as well.

UNCgolf

The MCU does run the risk of fatigue though. 3 movies a year was sustainable but add in Disney+ series alongside it and the only possible recourse is fatigue. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it or that I'm against the content, but ultimately that ship will sale.

It's not like the MCU has always been massive hits either -- every movie has been a success, but it's not like they all brought in 1 billion+ like the last couple of Avengers films and a couple of other culturally significant titles. A lot of the standalone films were still hits but modestly so (relatively speaking) compared to the giant blockbusters.

My guess is it will slow down to an extent, both because of the tremendous amount of content and because the characters aren't as well-known (other than when they start making X-Men films, and I guess the Fantastic Four). I think there will be an increase in the number of films that are just minor successes. But it's certainly not going anywhere.

Rich Brownn

I tho=ink the reason for its staying power is, although it's basis is superheroes, the tone of the individual films are quite different. War movie, buddy film, heist film, comedy, family drama, and now horror.

Touchdown

2021 marvel slate was mostly duds (Spider-Man being the exception.). I think this year will be quite different Strange is getting good reviews, Thor looks fantastic, and Wakanda Forever has the same creative team back so I expect greatness there as well.

BrianLo

Unlike Moana which keeps showing up on Neilsen's top ten streaming movies every week (even tho D+ has half the subs as Netflix!), there is no public data on Zooptopia's (the movie) afterlife... except for what Disney is doing with it.

Actually, it was the 10th most streamed movie in 2020 (for all streamers). Five years after release. The only 'old' movies on that list were Moana and Zootopia. Surprisingly it overtook Frozen 1, but I doubt that's generally held?

I presume it's still hanging out somewhere just below the cusp more often than not. I don't think the movie is quite as dead as people think it is.

Edit: "Old" movie wise, Frozen and Coco overtook it in 2021, which makes sense to me.

Last edited:

DisneyDean97

So we still have no idea what is replacing Primeval Whirl, right? Obviously Disney hasn't announced things, but our Insiders haven't elaborated at all either. Will this definitely be a new coaster? Or have our insiders not commented on this because there won't be any movement in this area for awhile? The latter wouldn't surprise me....

TrippedUp

They sold it for scrap while prices are high and will build when prices lower? Seems like a solid plan to me. An empty expansion pad is a nice problem to have.

DisneyDean97

They sold it for scrap while prices are high and will build when prices lower? Seems like a solid plan to me. An empty expansion pad is a nice problem to have.
I wouldn't disagree with you... but I don't believe Animal Kingdom has that luxury of just leaving spaces open for "future development", it's not like there is an overabundance of rides at the park.

Jrb1979

It’s not a nice problem in a park with insufficient capacity.
With how long it takes Disney to build anything it will probably be empty for awhile. Speaking of that I really don't understand why they take so long to build anything. Minus the delay Epic Universe is going to be built in the same amount of time it's taking them to build Tron.

Cmdr_Crimson

Big problem is when Triceratops Spin goes down for Refurb...What's left? Just Dinosaur on the opposite side making Dino-o-Rama empty with Carnival games

lazyboy97o

With how long it takes Disney to build anything it will probably be empty for awhile. Speaking of that I really don't understand why they take so long to build anything. Minus the delay Epic Universe is going to be built in the same amount of time it's taking them to build Tron.
Maybe if you stretch and compare Epic Universe’s pre-pandemic schedule to TRON’s post-pandemic schedule.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom