Work Happening North of Grand Floridian -- Ground Test for New Hotel?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
A little birdie told me there was a construction wall in the woods north of the Grand Floridian and that action was taking place in the area north of Grand Floridian, west of the Magic Kingdom. So I went and checked it out... sure enough it was true. Go-away green construction wall hiding "the forest." Also seems to be work taking place under the monorail line west of the MK station.

According to the source, there is work happening to prepare for potential hotel plans in that area. Anybody know anything else?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
A little birdie told me there was a construction wall in the woods north of the Grand Floridian and that action was taking place in the area north of Grand Floridian, west of the Magic Kingdom. So I went and checked it out... sure enough it was true. Go-away green construction wall hiding "the forest." Also seems to be work taking place under the monorail line west of the MK station.

According to the source, there is work happening to prepare for potential hotel plans in that area. Anybody know anything else?
Isn't it being used as a staging site for the DVC Villas work? Last time I saw pics it had roofing tiles back there that are being installed.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Before Reflections: A Lakeside Embassy Suites Knock off Resort was anywhere near starting construction, there were plans submitted for soil management and wetlands preservation. As I can recall, nothing like that this has been done for the area in question near the MK or GF. Tagging @danlb_2000

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Isn't it being used as a staging site for the DVC Villas work? Last time I saw pics it had roofing tiles back there that are being installed.
Not sure. The construction wall is/was literally in the forest with no signs of construction equipment or cleared land near it.

That eyesore has been there since the swing bridge install and concrete walkway replacement of the legacy pavers. It's been quite obviously idle for years since.
Perhaps there has been work in the past week? It appeared so.

castlecake2.0

can you point out on a map where the wall is? If it’s the one under the monorail it’s just staging for DVC updates at g flo

Disone

100% this. It is the lay down yard for the DVC Villa construction and then the refurbishment of the rest of the buildings at the Grand Floridian.

It is not site prep work for a new hotel.

the.dreamfinder

Good time to remind folks that retired Disney architect Robert Holland confirmed the Venetian/Mediterranean site is indeed buildable and when something is built there, it will be very high end. Seems like something from a $$$ perspective they’d want to do as they are addicted to their PGRS margins.

He did caution that Disney wants/wanted to do it right when the site is developed, but they clearly no longer have taste or respect for their customers so…

DVCakaCarlF

Good time to remind folks that retired Disney architect Robert Holland confirmed the Venetian/Mediterranean site is indeed buildable and when something is built there, it will be very high end. Seems like something from a $$$ perspective they’d want to do as they are addicted to their PGRS margins.

He did caution that Disney wants/wanted to do it right when the site is developed, but they clearly no longer have taste or respect for their customers so…
Yes, I remember the podcast, but he is referencing a different site, isn’t he? Between the TTC and contemporary.

Are you saying that to provide perspective or saying this is the site?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Quoting this for visibility.
@WDW Pro This is the easiest way to clear up exactly what you're talking about and if its something we already know about or not.

Directly north of Grand Floridian, west of the Magic Kingdom access canal, southwest of Adventureland.

donsullivan

Premium Member
That eyesore has been there since the swing bridge install and concrete walkway replacement of the legacy pavers. It's been quite obviously idle for years since.
that area alongside the monorail track west of MK monorail station has been used as a laydown yard for construction projects in the Magic Kingdom for close to two decades. In recent years they've planted some tall trees around it to mask it a little. One of the most dramatic items seen there over the years was the mirror that was going to be installed on the castle. it was staged there for final assembly before being brought into the park for actual installation on the castle.

I'm guessing the other site being described is a laydown yard and construction offices for the Poly DVC tower. There is pretty much no room on the actual construction site for any of that to fit so they're putting it up the street so as not to disrupt the adjacent resorts and gold course any more than absolutely needed. It's being used for Grand Flo now and then will transition to Poly DVC use.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Directly north of Grand Floridian, west of the Magic Kingdom access canal, southwest of Adventureland.
Capture.PNG

Which #?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom