Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

My totally unscientific observation, I imagine the cruise ships have upped their sanitation in general because of COVID; while it may not stop COVID, I imagine the additional sanitation should lessen the other typical cruise ship borne illnesses?

Lilofan

My totally unscientific observation, I imagine the cruise ships have upped their sanitation in general because of COVID; while it may not stop COVID, I imagine the additional sanitation should lessen the other typical cruise ship borne illnesses?
Has the cruise ship staffed increased the numbers in the cleaning crew? I doubt it. When I cruised on the Wonder I met some of the cleaning crew. One advised he worked 7 days a week 7-130pm, break 130-430pm , then 430-10pm.

Disstevefan1

Has the cruise ship staffed increased the numbers in the cleaning crew? I doubt it. When I cruised on the Wonder I met some of the cleaning crew. One advised he worked 7 days a week 7-130pm, break 130-430pm , then 430-10pm.
So it seems the cruise ships have "technically" upped their sanitation but with the same or less crew! How many short cuts are the overworked crew taking?

There goes my theory. Nevermind....

correcaminos

So it seems the cruise ships have "technically" upped their sanitation but with the same or less crew! How many short cuts are the overworked crew taking?

There goes my theory. Nevermind....
Truthfully since covid isn't really transmitted via touch sanitation isn't as big. That's more for other types of outbreaks. HVAC and other types of airflow would matter more.

Disstevefan1

Truthfully since covid isn't really transmitted via touch sanitation isn't as big. That's more for other types of outbreaks. HVAC and other types of airflow would matter more.
My point from my original post was any additional sanitation, although not helping to prevent COVID, should help to prevent other cruise ship borne illnesses.

As for illness from HVAC, that's probably more of a maintenance issue and not a sanitation issue, or maybe a little of both?

correcaminos

My point from my original post was any additional sanitation, although not helping to prevent COVID, should help to prevent other cruise ship borne illnesses.

As for illness from HVAC, that's probably more of a maintenance issue and not a sanitation issue, or maybe a little of both?
I was really trying to say that I don't think covid causes long term sanitation changes to happen. It would help some illnesses for sure but after a buncha outbreaks I know more cruises upped their game.

HVAC systems and how they run do matter beyond maintenance.

JoeCamel

I was really trying to say that I don't think covid causes long term sanitation changes to happen. It would help some illnesses for sure but after a buncha outbreaks I know more cruises upped their game.

HVAC systems and how they run do matter beyond maintenance.
I miss the much cleaner pandemic bathrooms sadly they are a distant memory now.

Lilofan

I miss the older bathrooms. Powder soap and totally clean. Disney bathrooms are still up a notch from many others but outside of hand washing I mostly avoid now.
Powder soap in theme park bathrooms ended during the Anthrax scare. The soap while deep cleaning also felt like a layer of skin was being taking off in the process.

Midwest Elitist

I miss the much cleaner pandemic bathrooms sadly they are a distant memory now.
The CTA stations in Chicago looked like they just opened.
We have an inside joke here that they power wash the train cars with urine and that they switched to using soap and water when COVID hit.

Lilofan

The CTA stations in Chicago looked like they just opened.
We have an inside joke here that they power wash the train cars with urine and that they switched to using soap and water when COVID hit.
Pump the chocolate candy bar smell though the AC vents for a change like Hershey does in their park in Hershey PA.

Lilofan

Funny you say that, the Blommer chocolate factory in the city blows it's smell down to the loop.
Company smells do add to the local atmosphere. The old RJR tobacco factories in Winston Salem, NC blew out sweet smell of tobacco smoke into the local streets nearby.

zapple

Here is a new preprint study about the tremendous undercounting of cases during the last couple months. Here is the main takeaway from the article (emphasis mine):

“We found a high prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 infection during the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 surge among adult New Yorkers in late April and early May, 2022 [April 23 to May 8]. We estimate that 22.1% of adult New Yorkers, approximately 1.5 million adults, had SARS-CoV-2 infection during the two study week period, when the prevalence of the more transmissible BA.2.12.1 subvariant was 20% and increasing rapidly. The estimate of 1.5 million infections is about 31-fold higher than the 49,253 cases in the official NYC case counts and suggests a vast underestimate of the magnitude of this surge. This gap between official case counts and actual burden of infection appears to be widening with time, as our prior similar survey during the BA.1 surge in NYC estimated that reported cases were 3-4 times lower than the true number of infections.”

“The estimate of 22.1% includes: 1) 11.4% (95%CI 8.4%-14.3%) who were positive based on one or more tests with a health care or testing provider (confirmed cases); 2) 6.5% (95%CI 4.2%-8.8%) who were positive exclusively based on one or more at-home rapid tests (probable cases); and 3) 4.2% (95%CI 1.8%-6.7%) who met the definition for possible SARS-CoV-2 infection based on having COVID-like symptoms and a close contact with a confirmed/probable case.”

DisneyCane

Here is a new preprint study about the tremendous undercounting of cases during the last couple months. Here is the main takeaway from the article (emphasis mine):

“We found a high prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 infection during the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 surge among adult New Yorkers in late April and early May, 2022 [April 23 to May 8]. We estimate that 22.1% of adult New Yorkers, approximately 1.5 million adults, had SARS-CoV-2 infection during the two study week period, when the prevalence of the more transmissible BA.2.12.1 subvariant was 20% and increasing rapidly. The estimate of 1.5 million infections is about 31-fold higher than the 49,253 cases in the official NYC case counts and suggests a vast underestimate of the magnitude of this surge. This gap between official case counts and actual burden of infection appears to be widening with time, as our prior similar survey during the BA.1 surge in NYC estimated that reported cases were 3-4 times lower than the true number of infections.”

“The estimate of 22.1% includes: 1) 11.4% (95%CI 8.4%-14.3%) who were positive based on one or more tests with a health care or testing provider (confirmed cases); 2) 6.5% (95%CI 4.2%-8.8%) who were positive exclusively based on one or more at-home rapid tests (probable cases); and 3) 4.2% (95%CI 1.8%-6.7%) who met the definition for possible SARS-CoV-2 infection based on having COVID-like symptoms and a close contact with a confirmed/probable case.”

My take away is that, assuming these estimates are accurate, this is really good news. It shows just how small the percentage of people ending up with serious illnesses was during this recent surge. If such a higher percentage of people are being infected and there was barely a blip in hospitalizations and deaths I don't know how this is considered a "public health emergency" anymore.

To me, a public health emergency is something that causes a very high risk of serious illness to a large percentage of the population. It would appear that some combination of vaccination, prior infection and state of the art therapeutics have rendered SARS-CoV-2 a minor inconvenience to the overwhelming majority of people infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom