Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Also, wasn't there just a cruise ship that had an outbreak of 200+ cases? Imagine how much worse it would have been with no restrictions and unvaccinated guests allowed.
A) there’s no way to know if they caught it on board or in ports since Covid is everywhere
B) the infection rate on most ships is rather low. Around 0.3%
C) as almost all guests are vaccinated, unlike really anywhere else, severe cases are exceedingly rare.

I would argue it is arbitrary to require so many to be vaccinated and to still test. No where else does that. I‘m not entirely sure what the CDC is aiming to prevent. Vaccinated people from getting Covid? They’re getting it regardless. Just demand a booster at 270 days.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
A) there’s no way to know if they caught it on board or in ports since Covid is everywhere
B) the infection rate on most ships is rather low. Around 0.3%
C) as almost all guests are vaccinated, unlike really anywhere else, severe cases are exceedingly rare.

I would argue it is arbitrary to require so many to be vaccinated and to still test. No where else does that. I‘m not entirely sure what the CDC is aiming to prevent. Vaccinated people from getting Covid? They’re getting it regardless. Just demand a booster at 270 days.
Good news for the cruise lines is when they do have some type of outbreak, much are asymptomatic and not really anything that requires hospitalization.

ToTBellHop

Good news for the cruise lines is when they do have some type of outbreak, much are asymptomatic and not really anything that requires hospitalization.
Right. I would argue vaccinations for all eligible and testing for those who can’t be vaccinated would make the most sense. The obsession with tracking asymptomatic infections is an exercise in futility at this point. We aren’t going to contain this.

DisneyCane

Right. I would argue vaccinations for all eligible and testing for those who can’t be vaccinated would make the most sense. The obsession with tracking asymptomatic infections is an exercise in futility at this point. We aren’t going to contain this.

Some people like "the numbers" so asymptomatic people continue to be tested.

I've argued for a long time that asymptomatic positives should not be counted as COVID "cases." There should be a separate count of documented infections and "cases" the latter of which should be reported by a doctor who diagnoses someone who has symptoms AND tests positive.

Then we'd have a better handle on how many people were made sick by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

ToTBellHop

Close quarters living may increase virus contact so thankfully cruise ships have to report outbreaks to health officials.
And yet more large-scale analyses in cities with high vaxx rates (yet rates that still don’t approach the 90%+ vaxx rates on ships) tell us we have nothing to worry about. I wish America was as vaccinated as a cruise ship.

Lilofan

And yet more large-scale analyses in cities with high vaxx rates (yet rates that still don’t approach the 90%+ vaxx rates on ships) tell us we have nothing to worry about. I wish America was as vaccinated as a cruise ship.
It would differ when you have an outbreak in the middle of the Pacific Ocean , Outbreak stateside one can isolate at home, on a cruise ship isolate in a room no bigger than a bread box, good luck trying to get food. If one doesn't have upgraded balcony room, no windows to open for fresh air in cruise line stateroom.

Last edited:

willtravel

So, I get my next round of free Covid at home test kits and they expire in August 2022. What are they doing, clearing old stock out. This is the second time.

ToTBellHop

It would differ when you have an outbreak in the middle of the Pacific Ocean , Outbreak stateside one can isolate at home, on a cruise ship isolate in a room no bigger than a bread box, good luck trying to get food. If one doesn't have upgraded balcony room, no windows to open for fresh air in cruise line stateroom.
I’m unclear on how that creates a health crisis though. Asymptomatic people who can’t leave their stateroom is not grounds for the CDC to demand testing. They don’t test for norovirus.

The CDC should step in if there are hospitalizations or deaths resulting from a cruise (as there were in late winter 2020). Otherwise, the CDC continues to damage their own credibility which leaves me concerned for the next pandemic.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’m unclear on how that creates a health crisis though. Asymptomatic people who can’t leave their stateroom is not grounds for the CDC to demand testing. They don’t test for norovirus.

The CDC should step in if there are hospitalizations or deaths resulting from a cruise (as there were in late winter 2020). Otherwise, the CDC continues to damage their own credibility which leaves me concerned for the next pandemic.
It doesn't create a health crisis. And studies prior to the pandemic showed you are more likely to get a virus during other forms of vacation such as staying in a hotel than during a cruise. Not to mention the upgrades done to cruise ships HVAC systems, which are far superior to what the average building/hotel is going to have.

I am not against certain protocols on cruise ships. I just think they are treated a bit unfairly..especially now with the current variant.

Lilofan

It doesn't create a health crisis. And studies prior to the pandemic showed you are more likely to get a virus during other forms of vacation such as staying in a hotel than during a cruise. Not to mention the upgrades done to cruise ships HVAC systems, which are far superior to what the average building/hotel is going to have.

I am not against certain protocols on cruise ships. I just think they are treated a bit unfairly..especially now with the current variant.
Last time I checked a norivirus doesn’t spread as fast in a hotel setting than on a cruise line in the middle of the ocean. Being sick and confined in a tiny cruise ship stateroom would be a very difficult experience.

Disstevefan1

I just stopped in to the thread to check the page count and to see how we are doing in our #DriveFor6Kpages :D

My totally unscientific observation (when has science stopped anyone for the past 2.5 years ;) ), there are a lot of YouTubers getting COVID recently, Thankfully, all are mild and the recover quickly.

There are also some YouTubers I watch who are all over the place and have not got it.... yet.

"Yes, Virginia, you can get COVID at WDW..."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Last time I checked a norivirus doesn’t spread as fast in a hotel setting than on a cruise line in the middle of the ocean.
Again, studies and real-life data indicate that catching a virus such as this is more likely to occur during other forms of vacation than on a cruise ship.

Being sick and confined in a tiny cruise ship stateroom would be a very difficult experience.
In regards to omicron specifically, considering most of these recent cruise outbreaks (one from Carnival and one from NCL for example) are almost all asymptomatic cases, the being sick part hasn't been a concern. This is what happens when you put a bunch of vaccinated people together. Asymptomatic cases..not a health crisis.

Jenny72

I'm not arguing for any particular approach at this point, but it is worth noting that asymptomatic cases can lead to long covid. This is what happened, rather horribly, to someone I know. So at minimum it's worth tracking them to better understand the disease.

Lilofan

Again, studies and real-life data indicate that catching a virus such as this is more likely to occur during other forms of vacation than on a cruise ship.

In regards to omicron specifically, considering most of these recent cruise outbreaks (one from Carnival and one from NCL for example) are almost all asymptomatic cases, the being sick part hasn't been a concern. This is what happens when you put a bunch of vaccinated people together. Asymptomatic cases..not a health crisis.
However one describes it cruise ships are a breeding ground for viruses and rightly so if passengers are affected, ill, confined to their tiny cabins many cabins with no open windows , that is a crisis, a health crisis and this thankfully is reporting to health officials warns future passengers as FYI including me

Chip Chipperson

However one describes it cruise ships are a breeding ground for viruses and rightly so if passengers are affected, ill, confined to their tiny cabins many cabins with no open windows , that is a crisis, a health crisis and this thankfully is reporting to health officials warns future passengers as FYI including me

Also, it would be impossible for the CDC to mandate vaccinations for all hotel guests. The CDC dropped its Conditonal Sail Order in January because the cruise lines all indicated their willingness to continue with restrictions voluntarily (and in some cases were already exceeding the CDC's requirements). At this point, there are no mandatory restrictions but the industry has opted to continue as if there were. The cruise lines must feel that doing so is best for their bottom line, best for the health and safety of their crew and passengers, or both.

ToTBellHop

Last time I checked a norivirus doesn’t spread as fast in a hotel setting than on a cruise line in the middle of the ocean. Being sick and confined in a tiny cruise ship stateroom would be a very difficult experience.
Not debating the unpleasantness. I’m questioning the CDC imposing itself on this. “Guests will be bored in their stateroom” isn’t a reason for policies that are more stringent than anywhere else on earth. The variants will spread everywhere regardless. Mandating vaccines is the best way to avoid serious disease, which should certainly be a goal.

Testing people before international flights is even more ridiculous. What are we trying to prevent exactly? The variants are here already.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
At this point, there are no mandatory restrictions but the industry has opted to continue as if there were.
Each port and country will have their own requirements/restrictions. Anyways, I am not arguing that there shouldn't be certain protocols. I just don't think how they handle testing is very useful or necessary. And there is clearly a misconception about health aboard cruise ships that has existed well before the pandemic.

ToTBellHop

Also, it would be impossible for the CDC to mandate vaccinations for all hotel guests. The CDC dropped its Conditonal Sail Order in January because the cruise lines all indicated their willingness to continue with restrictions voluntarily (and in some cases were already exceeding the CDC's requirements). At this point, there are no mandatory restrictions but the industry has opted to continue as if there were. The cruise lines must feel that doing so is best for their bottom line, best for the health and safety of their crew and passengers, or both.

Eh, the CDC is trying to have its cake and eat it too. There’s no order in place but they know no major cruise line would want to opt out of the program due to optics. They are basically saying “you should do this if you care about the passengers” even though the policies are not really grounded in science. Widespread testing yet COVID still spreads everywhere. Nothing is being contained.

Up-to-date vaccines are simply more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom