News Last night's Moonlight Magic at Disney's Hollywood Studios continued with distanced character sightings

Wendy Pleakley

I've never understood the appeal of paying hundreds of dollars for the holiday parties and waiting an hour to meet a character.

I know this isn't the same type of event, but I do agree having both options is preferable.

They still had the distanced characters when I was at Disneyland in February and it was great. Walk up, get a quick photo, and move on. No waiting forever while little Timmy hugs Goofy for 10 minutes and then the whole family brings out the autograph books.

Anteater

I've never understood the appeal of paying hundreds of dollars for the holiday parties and waiting an hour to meet a character.

I know this isn't the same type of event, but I do agree having both options is preferable.

They still had the distanced characters when I was at Disneyland in February and it was great. Walk up, get a quick photo, and move on. No waiting forever while little Timmy hugs Goofy for 10 minutes and then the whole family brings out the autograph books.
I think the main reason for the party appeal is smaller lines for attractions. I don't think most are using that time to wait to visit furries. The DVC party may be the exception since it was "free" for them to attend.

drizgirl

I think the main reason for the party appeal is smaller lines for attractions. I don't think most are using that time to wait to visit furries. The DVC party may be the exception since it was "free" for them to attend.
You should check back after the first party when all the stories come out about how long the character lines are.

Truth is if you are on a multi day ticket, you can add an extra day for around, what $20? Add G+ for $15 and it's still far cheaper than buying a party ticket. People attend the parties for the unique things you can't do during a regular park day. Parades, shows and yes, special character meets.

Anteater

You should check back after the first party when all the stories come out about how long the character lines are.

Truth is if you are on a multi day ticket, you can add an extra day for around, what $20? Add G+ for $15 and it's still far cheaper than buying a party ticket. People attend the parties for the unique things you can't do during a regular park day. Parades, shows and yes, special character meets.
That's not what I've been reading on just about every party thread on this board over the last few years.
I'm sure there are those that love the parades and special appearances. But, they're also rabid about the short lines.

drizgirl

That's not what I've been reading on just about every party thread on this board over the last few years.
I'm sure there are those that love the parades and special appearances. But, they're also rabid about the short lines.
The last 2 years the only thing the parties really had to offer was the short(er) ride lines.

drew81

The fact that these characters haven’t been seen in decades and DVC puts them behind a rope. 🙄

If that’s the policy, it’s a policy that isn’t guest friendly. If certain people are still afraid of September 13th 2013 then it’s time to get over it. Bringing out rares shouldn’t make leadership go behind a bush and hide, hoping it all goes well.

From what I understand, Monty and Fat Cat had no line their last couple sets. Tell me again how that makes sense at all?

Premium price for a less than premium product.

drew81

What happened on 9/13/13?
Unleash the Villains limited time magic event at Studios. The biggest hot mess in Walt Disney World history.

Cars backed up for miles. Busses unable to get in or get out. Guests unable to get in or get out.

The meet and greets were all set very close together and they had characters rotating with different ones. Oogie Boogie caused quite a mess because everyone wanted him and Jafar was trading with him.

If you google it you can find several articles about it.

drizgirl

Unleash the Villains limited time magic event at Studios. The biggest hot mess in Walt Disney World history.

Cars backed up for miles. Busses unable to get in or get out. Guests unable to get in or get out.

The meet and greets were all set very close together and they had characters rotating with different ones. Oogie Boogie caused quite a mess because everyone wanted him and Jafar was trading with him.

Right, I recall the stories now. So Disney is afraid of Disney making bad decisions again and overselling an event?

drew81

Right, I recall the stories now. So Disney is afraid of Disney making bad decisions again and overselling an event?
IMO they’re afraid of utilizing rare characters because “they can draw a line”.

Granted, Moonlight Magic is different than the Villains event, but they could easily allow those 2 characters to meet normal instead of behind a rope.

dreday3

oh my gosh, time flies!!! I remember that! Back when I was planning our 2014 trip when we hadn't been back (together) since 2000. And fast pass + was introduced around then and the internet had a meltdown. "Pick rides in advance...WHAAAAAAT????" :D

drizgirl

IMO they’re afraid of utilizing rare characters because “they can draw a line”.

Granted, Moonlight Magic is different than the Villains event, but they could easily allow those 2 characters to meet normal instead of behind a rope.
Or maybe they shouldn't have oversold the event like they did.

Furiated

Unless it was part of a regular park day, Disney still decided how many tickets to distribute (or sell).

It was part of the regular park day (well, night) if I remember right. I was there but only popped in for a bit and didn't do any characters after hearing the horror stories about the lines on social media

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom