Hour long wait to get through TTC security today - May 23

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am saying if the 2pm rule didn't exist, these crowds would be exasperated even further. Park Pass capacity is designed to handle a set number of rope droppers and then some part timers drop off mid-morning. Staffing at the gates increase again around 2pm.
Staffing levels fluctuate throughout the day; that's why the 2pm rule exists. This is the stated reason for it internally.

You have it backwards.

The 2pm rule exists so Disney CAN optimize their staffing - not because they MUST - and not because of the crowd patterns. Every park deal with these peak periods followed by lulls in their demand at the gate.. and every park schedules their staffing based on these expected patterns.

The 2pm rule allows Disney to reshape that pattern and optimize (aka reduce) staffing throughout the day because they are shaping when people arrive into concentrated periods. They are funneling people - not spreading them out.

The lack of the 2pm rule wouldn't make the crowds worse - it would make Disney staff the booths to match the crowd patterns like they always did in the past.. and everyone else does. And it worked for decades. The reason removing 2pm rule would make gate crowds worse would be because if Disney stuck with their 'optimized' park pass staffing instead of what they've always done before.

You have the tail wagging the dog - Disney is doing this SO THEY CAN optimize staffing - not because crowds would be worse otherwise.

Disney Glimpses

You have it backwards.

The 2pm rule exists so Disney CAN optimize their staffing - not because they MUST - and not because of the crowd patterns. Every park deal with these peak periods followed by lulls in their demand at the gate.. and every park schedules their staffing based on these expected patterns.

The 2pm rule allows Disney to reshape that pattern and optimize (aka reduce) staffing throughout the day because they are shaping when people arrive into concentrated periods. They are funneling people - not spreading them out.

The lack of the 2pm rule wouldn't make the crowds worse - it would make Disney staff the booths to match the crowd patterns like they always did in the past.. and everyone else does. And it worked for decades. The reason removing 2pm rule would make gate crowds worse would be because if Disney stuck with their 'optimized' park pass staffing instead of what they've always done before.

You have the tail wagging the dog - Disney is doing this SO THEY CAN optimize staffing - not because crowds would be worse otherwise.
I don't have it backwards, you don't seem to be understanding. They don't have the staff to keep a consistent level at the gate all day. You are suggesting they do. They don't.

This isn't permanent. If it were, you'd be correct. This is very much going away. Park Pass is going to change dramatically.

You're also suggesting that just because everyone has a park pass that everyone is rope dropping. No one is being funneled. It's the same number of people with a more predictable pattern of arrival. The parks are busiest in the afternoon and evening. If you were correct, they'd be blocking hopping on certain days (which they don't do).

I am just telling you what I know and the stated reasons for the current circumstances. You're free to continue to make your own assumptions.

Disney Glimpses

I know it's difficult to sort out what's Chapek bean counting vs. COVID related, but I can assure you the low staffing levels are not what they want. It's killing them right now. They just think this is a storm they can weather without raising wages across the board (which would in turn cause them to further raise prices).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't have it backwards, you don't seem to be understanding. They don't have the staff to keep a consistent level at the gate all day. You are suggesting they do. They don't.

This isn't permanent. If it were, you'd be correct. This is very much going away. Park Pass is going to change dramatically.

You're also suggesting that just because everyone has a park pass that everyone is rope dropping. No one is being funneled. It's the same number of people with a more predictable pattern of arrival. The parks are busiest in the afternoon and evening. If you were correct, they'd be blocking hopping on certain days (which they don't do).

I am just telling you what I know and the stated reasons for the current circumstances. You're free to continue to make your own assumptions.
I gotta be blunt here…

But you’re repeating a classic cover story they tell the name tags.

My “yoda” aged experience leaves me little doubt Flynn is correct here.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
No…I’m just making fun of how many people were adamant they would give perks to hotel customers when it became clear that a paid line was coming in…

…like an alternate dimension with infinity stones or something?
I'll continue to stay at the Swan/Dolphin/Reserve until actual value is brought back to Disney owned resorts. Save $200 + a night with the same benefits outside of being able to book your dining for your entire trip at the 60 day mark.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I didn't say they had to 'staff at a consistent level at the gate all day' - They need to staff based on the DEMAND. Instead, Disney is forcibly shaping the demand into patterns that work better for them so they can optimize staffing by reducing demand during off peak periods.

The 2pm rule benefits Disney to keep people from in their first park longer and make their movement more predictable.

I have no idea what you are reading and how you get all that from what I said. You just said 'a more predictable pattern of arrival' -- Yes, that's what funneling is! Taking a dispursed pattern of behavior, and condensing it down into more predictable patterns.

And I'm telling you you're drinking the koolaid being handed to you.

Disney Glimpses

I didn't say they had to 'staff at a consistent level at the gate all day' - They need to staff based on the DEMAND. Instead, Disney is forcibly shaping the demand into patterns that work better for them so they can optimize staffing by reducing demand during off peak periods.

The 2pm rule benefits Disney to keep people from in their first park longer and make their movement more predictable.

I have no idea what you are reading and how you get all that from what I said. You just said 'a more predictable pattern of arrival' -- Yes, that's what funneling is! Taking a dispursed pattern of behavior, and condensing it down into more predictable patterns.

And I'm telling you you're drinking the koolaid being handed to you.
We're agreeing mostly but not agreeing on the reason. You're 100% correct and apologies that I misinterpreted you. But the reasons for doing it are not voluntary nor are they permanent. They are absolutely necessary right now.

Consider how many things they've announced are returning with no date? Because they are just praying they have the bodies at some point soon. They are begging to restore offerings, this isn't voluntary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom