Are park reservations going away?

Jrb1979

I am saying they are specifically looking into ways to further incentivize an on-site stay beyond the current incentives. The parks are there to fill hotels and sell-out DVCs.

I don’t want anything in particular for Genie+ other than it leaving. I preferred how lines moved before Genie+ arrived.

But I’m sure Genie+ is as permanent as D’Amaro and Chapek.

They never really wanted day-trippers using G+. Is was meant to help vacationers (esp. on-site) have a great trip without all the planning. But demand was much higher than expected. Now they need to find a new way to get this benefit to the folks paying big bucks to be close to the Magic. Sky-high stress among guests at the Grand was not the plan.
I have to laugh. I know Disney is much different then most other parks out there but the way they run the parks is messed up. The fact they use the parks to sell rooms and DVC is so messed up. It's no wonder they don't like AP holders. They get in the way of the people that spend the most.

I remember a time when Disney was meant for everyone. Now they only want those you spend money.

gerarar

Premium Member
Could it be that they didn’t bother cloning the code first? And don’t have a backup of it? It seems ridiculous to even contemplate that being the case. And yet ……. it probably isn’t beyond the realms of possibility. 🤦🏽‍♀️
I always see this being mentioned, but this is just plain gibberish.

Codebases that run an application/system like F+, G+, MDE, etc. always have a version control system in place that tracks any new code changes, as well the history of the code. At any given point, Disney can revert code, copy old code, reuse code, duplicate code, thanks to this version control system (ala GitHub, Bitbucket, whatever enterprise Disney licenses).

The issue more likely is that the codebase itself is a mess and hard to decipher. I remember reading from someone that used to work for Disney IT, that it was a mess and full of "bandaids". If this is true, this truly hurts the development of new features and such, as well fixing existing issues. It takes months to onboard new developers. Heck I joined a new company this past January, and I only understand like 40% of our application's codebase as of now.

However, Genie+ seems to be a new app written from the ground up, and they've already demonstrated that changes can be swiftly made if need-be; eg party creations before drops with VQs. So why they can't make any demanded changes with G+? Seems to be a management thing holding them back.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I always see this being mentioned, but this is just plain gibberish.

Codebases that run an application/system like F+, G+, MDE, etc. always have a version control system in place that tracks any new code changes, as well the history of the code. At any given point, Disney can revert code, copy old code, reuse code, duplicate code, thanks to this version control system (ala GitHub, Bitbucket, whatever enterprise Disney licenses).

The issue more likely is that the codebase itself is a mess and hard to decipher. I remember reading from someone that used to work for Disney IT, that it was a mess and full of "bandaids". If this is true, this truly hurts the development of new features and such, as well fixing existing issues. It takes months to onboard new developers. Heck I joined a new company this past January, and I only understand like 40% of our application's codebase as of now.

However, Genie+ seems to be a new app written from the ground up, and they've already demonstrated that changes can be swiftly made if need-be; eg party creations before drops with VQs. So why they can't make any demanded changes with G+? Seems to be a management thing holding them back.

Just because they have the source code in a VCS, doesn't mean they can just check it out and use it.

* If the public APIs for park reservations are the same as what was used for FP+, then they would need to create new APIs.
* If the database that managed and stored the FP+ reservation data is now being used for park reservations, they would need a new database.

In both cases they would need to update all the code to use these new endpoints/data objects, even if the functionality stayed the same, as long as they keep park reservations in existence. And if the code is at all messy, then the above can become a pretty large and complex task.

gerarar

Premium Member
Just because they have the source code in a VCS, doesn't mean they can just check it out and use it.

* If the public APIs for park reservations are the same as what was used for FP+, then they would need to create new APIs.
* If the database that managed and stored the FP+ reservation data is now being used for park reservations, they would need a new database.

In both cases they would need to update all the code to use these new endpoints/data objects, even if the functionality stayed the same, as long as they keep park reservations in existence. And if the code is at all messy, then the above can become a pretty large and complex task.
Afaik they utilize AWS API Gateway (at least for VQ and G+ stuff), so theoretically it wouldn't take much to set up new endpoints and repoint stuff. The database stuff is a good point tho.

I was more tackling the common idea that Disney somehow lost the code for the original F+ stuff. It may be true they did repurposed the existing F+ infrastructure for the park pass system, however.

nickys

Premium Member
Afaik they utilize AWS API Gateway (at least for VQ and G+ stuff), so theoretically it wouldn't take much to set up new endpoints and repoint stuff. The database stuff is a good point tho.

I was more tackling the common idea that Disney somehow lost the code for the original F+ stuff. It may be true they did repurposed the existing F+ infrastructure for the park pass system, however.
Which was what I was getting at. If they completely repurposed the FP+ system and infrastructure it could be time consuming to recreate.

Genie+ has been in development alongside FP+ so all these “features” people complain about are either by design, omission or there was not enough testing. For example the changing time issue. Clearly there is no code to hold the time offered until the guest confirms. Was that not thought about? Was it thought about but considered unnecessary? Or could it be they didn’t test that sufficiently for the number of simultaneous requests that would be made on the system?

bcoachable

The system at WDW is swamped b/c there is not enough ride capacity. I see Two ways to fix it:
1. Build out more things to do
2. Increase the cost of G+

If I’m a betting man, I’m “placing my chips on door 2, Monty”
1652630973829.jpeg

Fido Chuckwagon

The system at WDW is swamped b/c there is not enough ride capacity. I see Two ways to fix it:
1. Build out more things to do
2. Increase the cost of G+

If I’m a betting man, I’m “placing my chips on door 2, Monty”
View attachment 638802
How long has it been since the last time that Disney announced any new attraction at any of it’s 4 parks? 4 years? 5 years?

Edit: Reskinning Splash Mountain shouldn’t count.

bcoachable

How long has it been since the last time that Disney announced any new attraction at any of it’s 4 parks? 4 years? 5 years?

Edit: Reskinning Splash Mountain shouldn’t count.
Well- there is Tron, and Remy’s. Then you have that Black Spire Bright Sun place. And don’t forget about Andy’s back yard! I believe it is within the five year window to include the Avatar duo as well…

Fido Chuckwagon

Well- there is Tron, and Remy’s. Then you have that Black Spire Bright Sun place. And don’t forget about Andy’s back yard! I believe it is within the five year window to include the Avatar duo as well…
I said “announced” not “built.” Those attractions were all announced at least 4 to 5 years ago. That’s my point, there is nothing new on the horizon. Even if they announced a new attraction tomorrow, they tend to take at least 4 to.5 years to build one.

bcoachable

I said “announced” not “built.” Those attractions were all announced at least 4 to 5 years ago. That’s my point, there is nothing new on the horizon. Even if they announced a new attraction tomorrow, they tend to take at least 4 to.5 years to build one.
Ahh - absolutely true…
You are not wrong

RyMickey

As I sit on a beach near my hometown typing this, wanted to comment that we had planned a spur of the moment Disney trip this week with some different members of the family to take advantage of annual passes. Two weeks ago for the non-pass holders, only park available was Epcot. So no trip. No on-site hotel. No spending at restaurants. (Yes, options may have opened as the weeks progressed, but decisions had already been made on our end.) It just truly makes me wonder how many others are in the same boat and just decided to nix the whole thing and how much money Disney is losing despite posting record profits. (Yes, yes, staff shortages and whatnot, I know…). It’s just a turnoff.

That said, this may very well be the wave of the future — there was just a story on CBS Sunday Morning about National Parks doing this and it even referenced Disney in the story. I won’t ever not hate this though. I can buy in to Genie+ (although I also STRONGLY dislike aspects of that), but the park reservation system could truly be a game changer for us.

And I’m spending A TON less at the beach.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom