Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Baymax! on Disney+ will premier on June 29th -

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 12.41.29 PM.png

TrainsOfDisney

Actually, you did. Twice...
if you can’t tell I was speaking generally and not intending to speak for “all adult Disney fans” that’s on you. This is a Disney fan forum and not a court of law lol.

I think there is a case for confusing what the Disney brand is and is not but this is nothing new.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
if you can’t tell I was speaking generally and not intending to speak for “all adult Disney fans” that’s on you. This is a Disney fan forum and not a court of law lol.

I think there is a case for confusing what the Disney brand is and is not but this is nothing new.
I think there is a case to be made that Disney actually does know what their fans want, just that they are no longer catering to only a specific subsection of those fans like they have in the past.

TrainsOfDisney

I think there is a case to be made that Disney actually does know what their fans want, just that they are no longer catering to only a specific subsection of those fans like they have in the past.
They are also bringing in new fans with Marvel, Lucas, Simpsons, etc. that will want and expect more adult content.

Will be interesting to see how the streaming wars end up. Disney is certainly winning so far but if they change the model that works too much I’m not sure if they will continue. Time will tell.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They are also bringing in new fans with Marvel, Lucas, Simpsons, etc. that will want and expect more adult content.

Will be interesting to see how the streaming wars end up. Disney is certainly winning so far but if they change the model that works too much I’m not sure if they will continue. Time will tell.
The larger question is whether there is enough subs of the other content that outweighs any loses by those that don't like Disney bringing in that content, and I say the answer is yes. The issue as I see it is that Disney still continues to be seen as a company that creates watered down sanitized content only for kids and families. That is a huge turn off for a large portion of the population. So when it comes to streaming they need to break that stigma and be seen as a streamer that creates content for everyone, not just kids and families. And they appear to be doing just that, especially outside the US. Especially since the younger generations are less likely to have kids and families, as seen by the declining birth rates worldwide.

So the model that worked for Disney up until the early 2000s no longer works when it comes to streaming. They have to and should want to be the "everything to everyone" streaming service in order to compete with Netflix, Amazon, and others.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Also, keep in mind that 20th Century and SearchLight are now owned by Disney, and those studios are still making more adult fare worthy of award nominations. A Marvel movie ain't ever going to wind a Best Picture, but a Searchlight film might. And outside the U.S., all that adult fare winds up on D+ under the Star label.

TrainsOfDisney

The issue as I see it is that Disney still continues to be seen as a company that creates watered down sanitized content only for kids and families. That is a huge turn off for a large portion of the population.
Correct. Disney should focus on what they are known for and what they do best. If people want to go elsewhere for other styles of entertainment, they should.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A new Daredevil series is in development at Disney+, with Covert Affairs creators Matt Corman and Chris Ord attached to write and executive produce, sources close to the project have confirmed to Deadline.

Fans have been wanting a new Daredevil series since Netflix’s Daredevil was canceled in 2018 after three seasons. Talk has ramped up recently following the appearance of Daredevil (Charlie ) in Spider-Man: No Way Home and main antagonist Kingpin (Vincent D’Onofrio) in Disney+ series Hawkeye.

Marvel Studios does not comment on projects in development."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Correct. Disney should focus on what they are known for and what they do best. If people want to go elsewhere for other styles of entertainment, they should.
Well that is certainly your opinion. However Disney doesn't have the same opinion as they don't want people to go elsewhere, they want those subs to stay within Disney+ for all their entertainment needs. Think of it as the Disney Bubble for streaming, just that it also involves Adult content. You don't have to like it, but others do and that is who Disney is going after.

TrainsOfDisney

Well that is certainly your opinion. However Disney doesn't have the same opinion
Correct. Sadly, Disney doesn’t share my opinion on having more equity actors, atmosphere musicians, more steam trains, monorail expansion, etc.

I’ve come to accept the sad reality that the Disney corporation doesn’t not agree with me at all times :p

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Correct. Sadly, Disney doesn’t share my opinion on having more equity actors, atmosphere musicians, more steam trains, monorail expansion, etc.

I’ve come to accept the sad reality that the Disney corporation doesn’t not agree with me at all times :p
Well my opinion is Disney should start a churro delivery service, but we don't always get what we want....

MarvelCharacterNerd

So that is a long winded way of saying, you can always setup a "Kid profile" if you don't want to see anything that you would consider not part of the "Disney Brand". You have the ability to choose your Disney+ experience.
I wish we had more ability to tailor what we see. I was just checking What's New and it's all either Nat Geo or Disney Junior - neither of which I'm interested in. Would be great to be able to filter out content that you don't want to see.

But that wish is still behind the "hover over movie/show to add or delete from watchlist", "stop requiring going to multiple other pages when your show/movie ends instead of back to its original page or your watchlist" and "don't limit the quantity shown on my watchlist" wishes I've had since the service started. SO IRRITATING.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wish we had more ability to tailor what we see. I was just checking What's New and it's all either Nat Geo or Disney Junior - neither of which I'm interested in. Would be great to be able to filter out content that you don't want to see.

But that wish is still behind the "hover over movie/show to add or delete from watchlist", "stop requiring going to multiple other pages when your show/movie ends instead of back to its original page or your watchlist" and "don't limit the quantity shown on my watchlist" wishes I've had since the service started. SO IRRITATING.
Yes, I agree there are usability features that the apps do need. Some of those you want would be great. I also wish they'd add a better way to sort by year released.

If you go to help.disneyplus.com there is a Give Feedback option. One of the feedback categories is "Suggest a new feature". I'd suggest you submit all the features you'd like to see. And since it doesn't appear to limit how many times you can submit something you can submit it a bunch of times. The more times a feature is suggested the more likely they'll add it, so ask your friends and family to do the same thing.

So not only that but there is also a "Request a film or show" category, and I know there is plenty of old shows or films that we still want to see released on D+. So do the same thing for those as well.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Six months after leaving Netflix, the New Directions are back on streaming.

“Glee,” the mega-popular Ryan Murphy musical comedy series, will debut on Disney+ and Hulu June 1, Disney announced Friday. The announcement was made a day after the 13-year anniversary of the pilot, which initially aired on Fox in 2009."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom