Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Which, by the way, Universal’s creative lead explicitly and publicly admitted. Has Disney ever pointed to a ride the current regime built and stated, yeah, we blew it?
They did. Didn’t they also promise to “never do it again”? Though the initial decree came from higher than the lead. SeaWorld did the same with Infinity Falls.

Offhand I don’t think Disney have ever gone public with admittance. Not even for Rocket Rods, Light Magic, Rivers of Light etc. - the only admission would perhaps be blaming prior management for DCA, WDSP and HKDL.

hopemax

I attended the D23 event on Sunday, and rode 3 times. Twice back-to-back to start the event, and the final one at the end post-Harmonious, post-natural light show.

Starting with the TL;DR: It's an updated Space Mountain. On ride #3, I tried to pay attention to the "story" but still my experienced deteriorated into "I'm riding a Space Mountain at WDW, that doesn't hurt and has music!" But Space Mountain isn't really a needle pegging experience. Fun, but as coasters go Hagrid's and Velocicoaster offered more for us in the: "that was unexpectedly cool AND fun."

Longer review... Check-in was at 3:30, and the ride opened at 4, so it gave time for a long queue to form, and then they walked us up in chunks. This gave time to have a few moments in each of the queue areas. We were near the front, so we didn't spend that much in the first room. Did I read this is a 30 minute loop? So we saw about 3 minutes of it. The model in the 2nd area is pretty cool, it would be nice to have more time to watch and look at it. The other displays... the costumes in the old GMR did more for me. It felt pretty static presentation for such a technologically advanced society. Like old exhibits in museums instead of the newer, curated exhibits. I noticed the floor, and asked my Dad if he saw more "stacked cubes" or "diamond star/flower" pattern. We declared this floor more successful than the one in Club Cool 😄. Then you get up to the "interview" section, and everyone just wanted to see the "old Epcot, reference" clip. On ride #1, I didn't realize that was where it was. Ride #2, everyone just stopped until that section played, and once it finished then everyone moved on. Ride #3, we went through the LL queue, and there is a very small spot where the same video plays and we happened to walk by it just as Peter was talking about "Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit."

Then you are put in a large room with purple lighting, and you just stand there for a couple minutes. It was boring. It seemed like the interview segment should have continued to be watchable / hearable in the is section. Into the first pre-show. The first time, when Terry Crews came on the screen, people laughed. All through his schtick, people laughed. Ride #2 and 3. Nothing. Everyone already saw it and it was apparently no longer funny. My favorite pre-pre show was the goggles stuff in the Minion ride, and I would laugh at "they are guaranteed to last 5 times as long as the person wearing them" and "they may be used as a flotation device, but not to hold cheese and jalapeño dip. (that's gross)" every time. I still quote it, and it's not even there anymore. So you can write a script that holds up to more than one viewing. Honestly, I think I laugh more at the Dinosaur preshow than I did at this and that's been playing for almost 25 years now. Main pre-show room. On ride #2, and #3 people were just automatically heading to the spot closest to where the exit to the room is.

Main ride. We ended up working our way from the back of the ride to the middle. Ride #1 we were Row 10, #2 Row 8, #3 Row 6. Our songs were: September, Conga and I Ran. September was the one I wanted most, and got that first, and so I was happy. Unexpectedly, "I Ran" was my favorite of the three. All three started strong, but I felt like "I Ran" was the most high energy and paced well with the track throughout the entirety of the ride, the other two there were moments like the song needed to be "more" for what the track was doing. On my flight home, my playlist played "We are Here to Change the World" from Captain EO, and I would really like to hear what *that* sounds like on the ride. In the future, I may try to use my own ear buds and phone to play it. Made me nostalgic for Rip Ride Rocket (and no one should say that) and the option to pick your own soundtrack.

Intensity. The previous Sunday, we rode Velocicoaster in the back row. That is an intense ride. This is not. My Dad and I were both looking at each other over the previous reports of intensity. That first backwards turning bit, which feels like Everest, but not as long as on Everest would be the only point that might have felt intense. The rest just seemed smooth, and fun. As the discussion of the last few pages. Roller coaster + soundtrack = Fun. The ride is fun. We'd both ride it, if people wanted to wait. But the big question is how long are we, willing to wait in line? Longer than for SDMT, but not as long as Hagrid's. Given the state of the Yeti, probably longer than Everest. We had nothing resembling motion sickness. I didn't see anyone who had a rough time upon exiting our trains. I did see some people on a bench after Ride #3 but it was so late I don't know if they reacted to the ride, or just tired at the end of the day.

Story... I had seen a comment that the soundtrack competes with the dialog, and I agree with this. It's hard to follow what's happening when your brain starts singing along with the song playing. After Ride #1, I looked up the Easter Eggs and so on Ride #2 and #3 I tried to listen for the Universe of Energy theme in the right spot, before the soundtrack is even playing and the other noises were just so loud, we couldn't pick it up. I would have much rather had something like the Xandarians "showing off" their spaceship technology, by having Terrans do a ride-along as the ship performed a series of maneuvers, so we could just listen to the soundtrack while flying around in Space, instead of whatever we are supposed to be doing. I just spent time watching the track, the stars, the Earth, the Moon and reminding myself "I'm supposed to be paying attention to a story."

So anyway, it was fun, and it's re-rideable. However, it seems like there was far more that could have been done to elevate the experience, and so it felt like it was a bit of a waste of the new ride system. There was so much that felt empty, boring and done before, that we didn't get off and immediately think "I need to ride that again!" We were fortunate we could immediately get back in ride as much as we wanted, but we only chose to ride it twice. My Dad wondered what the point was. I told him, he knows what the point was... "Marvel representation, East of the Mississippi." And at that I guess it succeeds. Unless there is a bigger motion sickness reaction than we felt (which was nothing in the slightest), people will ride, have a good time, it will survey well, LLs will be sold. I have ridden Mission: Breakout at DCA, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It was a terrible ToT, but a fun and on-point Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. This is, like I said at the beginning... more Space Mountain, despite the presence of the Guardians of the Galaxy characters.

ZodIsGr8

What changed in your understanding of the story when you experienced it in person? What made it make “perfect sense?”
When you watch YouTube videos online, you just can't completely understand what all is going on. Being in person and riding the ride allows you to put the preshow storyline together with what you experience, see and hear on the ride itself. The audio and visuals that you see online do not do the ride justice because the devices being used can't keep up with the speed of the rides and the turns and spins of the ride system itself. This in not the fault of the people taking the videos as the gimbals being used can't handle the speed or spins that they encounter during the ride. I still think in order to fully appreciate the ride, one will need to ride it multiple times and experience front, back and middle get a full understanding. The middle is the best in my opinion. I think this is a fantastic ride, but it was placed in the wrong park. It should have been placed at MGM/HS in my opinion. EPCOT as we knew it is gone and unfortunately not coming back but that is nothing new around here. I know this is off your original question but I just wanted to get that out there. Other than Spaceship Earth and Journey (only so I can see Figment), I do not spend much time in Future World or whatever they call it now. I prefer to spend my time in World Showcase and admiring the beauty of it minus the tacos on the lake. I appreciate your question and hope you have a great rest of your day.

TDLFan

I'm being told that even with the adjustments that were made, they're simply not enough with the amount of people getting sick. Four code v's in a single hour. I'm waiting to hear if and when the changes to the degree of rotation occur again but its looking more likely it will undergo a second round of changes.

reptar77

I'm being told that even with the adjustments that were made, they're simply not enough with the amount of people getting sick. Four code v's in a single hour. I'm waiting to hear if and when the changes to the degree of rotation occur again but its looking more likely it will undergo a second round of changes.
I really hope they don’t change anything. I was a little dizzy when I got off the ride but I really think that was my fault for trying to focus on one thing instead of looking around.

Animaniac93-98

In about a month we'll be able to compare this to the Avengers redo of RnRC in Paris (which has at least one AA).

Not sure how much different the queue, pre-show and overall experience will be than before.

Disstevefan1

I attended the D23 event on Sunday, and rode 3 times. Twice back-to-back to start the event, and the final one at the end post-Harmonious, post-natural light show.

Starting with the TL;DR: It's an updated Space Mountain. On ride #3, I tried to pay attention to the "story" but still my experienced deteriorated into "I'm riding a Space Mountain at WDW, that doesn't hurt and has music!" But Space Mountain isn't really a needle pegging experience. Fun, but as coasters go Hagrid's and Velocicoaster offered more for us in the: "that was unexpectedly cool AND fun."

Longer review... Check-in was at 3:30, and the ride opened at 4, so it gave time for a long queue to form, and then they walked us up in chunks. This gave time to have a few moments in each of the queue areas. We were near the front, so we didn't spend that much in the first room. Did I read this is a 30 minute loop? So we saw about 3 minutes of it. The model in the 2nd area is pretty cool, it would be nice to have more time to watch and look at it. The other displays... the costumes in the old GMR did more for me. It felt pretty static presentation for such a technologically advanced society. Like old exhibits in museums instead of the newer, curated exhibits. I noticed the floor, and asked my Dad if he saw more "stacked cubes" or "diamond star/flower" pattern. We declared this floor more successful than the one in Club Cool 😄. Then you get up to the "interview" section, and everyone just wanted to see the "old Epcot, reference" clip. On ride #1, I didn't realize that was where it was. Ride #2, everyone just stopped until that section played, and once it finished then everyone moved on. Ride #3, we went through the LL queue, and there is a very small spot where the same video plays and we happened to walk by it just as Peter was talking about "Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit."

Then you are put in a large room with purple lighting, and you just stand there for a couple minutes. It was boring. It seemed like the interview segment should have continued to be watchable / hearable in the is section. Into the first pre-show. The first time, when Terry Crews came on the screen, people laughed. All through his schtick, people laughed. Ride #2 and 3. Nothing. Everyone already saw it and it was apparently no longer funny. My favorite pre-pre show was the goggles stuff in the Minion ride, and I would laugh at "they are guaranteed to last 5 times as long as the person wearing them" and "they may be used as a flotation device, but not to hold cheese and jalapeño dip. (that's gross)" every time. I still quote it, and it's not even there anymore. So you can write a script that holds up to more than one viewing. Honestly, I think I laugh more at the Dinosaur preshow than I did at this and that's been playing for almost 25 years now. Main pre-show room. On ride #2, and #3 people were just automatically heading to the spot closest to where the exit to the room is.

Main ride. We ended up working our way from the back of the ride to the middle. Ride #1 we were Row 10, #2 Row 8, #3 Row 6. Our songs were: September, Conga and I Ran. September was the one I wanted most, and got that first, and so I was happy. Unexpectedly, "I Ran" was my favorite of the three. All three started strong, but I felt like "I Ran" was the most high energy and paced well with the track throughout the entirety of the ride, the other two there were moments like the song needed to be "more" for what the track was doing. On my flight home, my playlist played "We are Here to Change the World" from Captain EO, and I would really like to hear what *that* sounds like on the ride. In the future, I may try to use my own ear buds and phone to play it. Made me nostalgic for Rip Ride Rocket (and no one should say that) and the option to pick your own soundtrack.

Intensity. The previous Sunday, we rode Velocicoaster in the back row. That is an intense ride. This is not. My Dad and I were both looking at each other over the previous reports of intensity. That first backwards turning bit, which feels like Everest, but not as long as on Everest would be the only point that might have felt intense. The rest just seemed smooth, and fun. As the discussion of the last few pages. Roller coaster + soundtrack = Fun. The ride is fun. We'd both ride it, if people wanted to wait. But the big question is how long are we, willing to wait in line? Longer than for SDMT, but not as long as Hagrid's. Given the state of the Yeti, probably longer than Everest. We had nothing resembling motion sickness. I didn't see anyone who had a rough time upon exiting our trains. I did see some people on a bench after Ride #3 but it was so late I don't know if they reacted to the ride, or just tired at the end of the day.

Story... I had seen a comment that the soundtrack competes with the dialog, and I agree with this. It's hard to follow what's happening when your brain starts singing along with the song playing. After Ride #1, I looked up the Easter Eggs and so on Ride #2 and #3 I tried to listen for the Universe of Energy theme in the right spot, before the soundtrack is even playing and the other noises were just so loud, we couldn't pick it up. I would have much rather had something like the Xandarians "showing off" their spaceship technology, by having Terrans do a ride-along as the ship performed a series of maneuvers, so we could just listen to the soundtrack while flying around in Space, instead of whatever we are supposed to be doing. I just spent time watching the track, the stars, the Earth, the Moon and reminding myself "I'm supposed to be paying attention to a story."

So anyway, it was fun, and it's re-rideable. However, it seems like there was far more that could have been done to elevate the experience, and so it felt like it was a bit of a waste of the new ride system. There was so much that felt empty, boring and done before, that we didn't get off and immediately think "I need to ride that again!" We were fortunate we could immediately get back in ride as much as we wanted, but we only chose to ride it twice. My Dad wondered what the point was. I told him, he knows what the point was... "Marvel representation, East of the Mississippi." And at that I guess it succeeds. Unless there is a bigger motion sickness reaction than we felt (which was nothing in the slightest), people will ride, have a good time, it will survey well, LLs will be sold. I have ridden Mission: Breakout at DCA, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It was a terrible ToT, but a fun and on-point Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. This is, like I said at the beginning... more Space Mountain, despite the presence of the Guardians of the Galaxy characters.
I think the intention was to be less intense. They tried intense, it was Mission Space and they killed some folks, then had to come up with less intense green mission. I for the record, I am Orange mission, sadly I rode it after the deaths and it had been slowed down apparently.

celluloid

Have people been walking right on out of the FL summer heat or is there a good wait even after checking in? Just curious as that will not fix everything but standing in a cool building awhile before boarding will help also.

mergatroid

Personally I think the only change will be in the warning signs and letting people decide. Just like at Universal, Sea World and Busch etc, there's some rides that cause motion sickness and it's accepted. Sucks a bit for those who can't ride, but that's life? I can't see something like the rotating ever being turned off.

TDLFan

I don't think the rotating will go away either, but I could see them changing the 90° angles to 45°. That would probably make a world of difference in the amount of people getting motion sickness, but, we shall see what happens.

Deadly Danson

We appear to have reached the stage with some where there's no rating a new attraction anymore by riding it, because if the guest enjoys it then that can be dismissed by the 'Ooo, look - Shiny new thing phenomenon'? Strangely this phenomenon only affects Disney new rides, other park new attractions are immune to this and can be judged just by riding and enjoying them ;)
Agree. The bitter nature of some Disney fans really is sad to see although I understand the reasons. If I enjoy a ride then I enjoy a ride - end of story. I'm a UK fan (been going since 1989) and am far from immune to the faults and mistakes of Disneyworld (Genie+, park reservations and the harmonious barges for example are loathsome) but this snarky need to put down people's enjoyment and never to recognise good things is really odd. I recently had an outstanding holiday in Orlando and was really impressed with some of the new additions and the general upkeep and quality (with some reservations of course). I've also had plenty of trips to Paris and consider much of it to be shoddy by comparison (hotels, Studios, Downtown Disney etc) although some parts are beautiful and, although it's been a few years, Hong Kong was merely OK.

I think what I'm trying to say is the grass isn't always greener elsewhere, enjoy what you can, recognise the good and the bad and you'll be a lot happier. For what it's worth I can't wait to ride Cosmic Rewind on my next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom