Trip Report C’mon Everybody, Here We Go….*COMPLETED*

Think of all the joy you’ll find
When you leave the world behind
And bid your cares goodbye!

Ahh, a relaxing getaway from reality. No cares or concerns. Just bliss.

Not exactly a perfect picture of vacationing at Walt Disney World during Spring Break, is it?

But we’re going anyway. We’re Spring Break Veterans and it’s time for the annual reunion.

Two years ago we missed out on our usual adventure thanks to Covid. The stay-at-home vacation just wasn’t the same! (Although you can read about it here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-“no-trip”-trip-report-completed.964173/)

Last year we were able to return, albeit under Covid protocols. We believed that enduring masks 24/7, plexiglass and vinyl dividers on attractions, mobile order Door Nazis and limited shopping/dining/entertainment would be acceptable in exchange for the very low crowds that we’d experienced on earlier pandemic trips. But the parks were packed and we ended up spending a lot of time at the pool (which wasn’t a bad thing. We’re pool people.)

Now that park capacity has increased and nearly all Covid restrictions are gone, we expect to find the shoulder-to-shoulder spring break crowds of yore. And long lines. So we’re packing our patience and “It is what it is” attitudes.

Because in spite of all the negatives WDW is still our happy place.

We can’t wait.

60EFA200-96A8-450F-994E-B3B9C3BD6048.jpeg

Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: April 3-9, 2022
Where: Our favorite moderate resort

My plan is to go live upon our departure. Fingers crossed that Disney WiFi will be my friend.

Speaking of friends, we hope to meet up with a few. You’ll have to follow along to see if we do.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, May 6, 2022

It's been awhile since we had vacation creep. But a change in circumstances (or more accurately, flight time) for some new friends of ours meant we'd miss an opportunity to see them if we didn't adjust plans of our own. Driving affords us flexibility, and a glut of Hilton Honors points meant we could add a night to the start of our trip without cost. Brilliant!

Of course it meant another night of cat duty for Em, but both Kona and Poly clamored for her affection so I don't think she minded. :angelic:

We stopped at our usual breakfast place. IYKYK.

1866D599-F314-4F5D-B89A-732578DAB72F.jpeg

Six hours later we arrived at the Homewood Suites in Flamingo Crossing.

E5EF6F68-4233-4173-B2FD-DE23CAF29EE3.jpeg

CE4F1738-CDAA-42FB-84B5-DB3B72FADD92.jpeg

Flamingo Crossing is just outside the Western Way entrance to WDW. We’ve watched this area (slowly) grow over the last dozen years. It is not as chaotic as the 192/ I-4 corridors. Woody and I decided it was the perfect “outside the bubble” location for us.

Our 6th floor room was ready upon our arrival. There were four elevators off the lobby, each one themed to a different Disney park. I took pics of two of them.

3445D18C-6301-4F23-A0FF-71B59DDF86E1.jpeg

F081CF59-818F-45B6-9806-7623D64B3E4F.jpeg

The pool is nice. “It has a slide and everything!” (Bonus points for reference.)

0F9D27AC-1D37-4E3F-BFD3-217294146D2D.jpeg

Room pics for @Nunu.

14D5E46B-074F-4331-9E71-2E0ED5E61696.jpeg

39E1088B-7EE1-41C2-B050-172FE4A9E34D.jpeg

7B924250-57B7-4D1F-9483-660626B8D340.jpeg

473DB49A-2431-42CE-9085-BBAA2CC4FAF1.jpeg

It suited us well.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody and I didn’t hang around long.

The Magic was calling.

EA897266-DEAD-4F61-BC62-3564562B1B3C.jpeg

I warned Woody there would be no parking lot trams and asked him to find a close-in spot that earlier guests had vacated. We were the fourth car from the center walkway. It was still a hike though.

C76AFAF4-10F9-42C7-86F2-21597202AE7D.jpeg

Woody’s favorite character greeted him out front.

C728E3B6-FC16-4B8C-9A7A-74E0F2992A9B.jpeg

FE5EE50B-CF83-4EC7-A6B7-AFE9D592F885.jpeg

The 50 cake topper nearly disappears into SSE!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
It was a very warm afternoon. Woody and I needed a cool beverage. We also needed a snack since we hadn’t eaten since breakfast.

Connections Eatery (the Electric Umbrella’s replacement) had opened a mere ten days ago. I’d followed its construction on this site and made the mistake of reading all the Negative Nelly comments beforehand. (You know, from those folks who haven’t actually been there.) We decided to check it out for ourselves.

B3C95FCB-2A61-4A5F-92B2-009F2489C5E2.jpeg

This is a huge space that houses both the “Eatery” and the “Cafe” (otherwise known as Starbucks.) It is bright, open and welcoming and does not feel overwhelming at all.

Here is the Starbucks section.

ED02B7BB-BD90-4389-9073-A4CCDBB87A40.jpeg

This is the counter service section.

815CAD49-80BC-4109-BDF0-F2948D13E1BE.jpeg

Plenty of seating on multiple levels.

16AEE425-F6E6-4B50-BC77-581972036E7E.jpeg

We mobile ordered and chose a table next to one of the floor-to-ceiling windows. Our view ~

C090BE95-47E4-449B-9E17-D433174536A5.jpeg

2FA4AF7E-A09B-44FD-85E8-22759DB85926.jpeg

That delectable dish in front of Woody is a Liege Waffle (Brioche dough with pearl sugar, strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate sauce.) We knew we needed more than one!

We got two so we wouldn’t have to share.

8A862476-3971-4B5C-AD66-B52F11C3E9D6.jpeg

The waffles were warm with a hint of cinnamon. Delicious!

Connections has stainless flatware and reusable melamine plates and bowls. Paper cups for beverages. Very eco-friendly.

Color us impressed! Would we return?

Stay tuned.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It was a very warm afternoon. Woody and I needed a cool beverage. We also needed a snack since we hadn’t eaten since breakfast.

Connections Eatery (the Electric Umbrella’s replacement) had opened a mere ten days ago. I’d followed its construction on this site and made the mistake of reading all the Negative Nelly comments beforehand. (You know, from those folks who haven’t actually been there.) We decided to check it out for ourselves.

View attachment 639142

This is a huge space that houses both the “Eatery” and the “Cafe” (otherwise known as Starbucks.) It is bright, open and welcoming and does not feel overwhelming at all.

Here is the Starbucks section.

View attachment 639148

This is the counter service section.

View attachment 639146

Plenty of seating on multiple levels.

View attachment 639147

We mobile ordered and chose a table next to one of the floor-to-ceiling windows. Our view ~

View attachment 639143

View attachment 639144

That delectable dish in front of Woody is a Liege Waffle (Brioche dough with pearl sugar, strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate sauce.) We knew we needed more than one!

We got two so we wouldn’t have to share.

View attachment 639145

The waffles were warm with a hint of cinnamon. Delicious!

Connections has stainless flatware and reusable melamine plates and bowls. Paper cups for beverages. Very eco-friendly.

Color us impressed! Would we return?

Stay tuned.
Glad you both liked the new Connections Eatery. (Actually, I never minded the Electric Umbrella, its predecessor.) From your photos, I'm a bit on the fence about the interior design though. On the one hand, I like the seating area, as it appears inviting. What I don't care for is the first photo showing the entry and ordering area, which has an open, barren "vibe" to it. But again, perhaps it was just the angle of the photo and/or the overall lighting. In person, it may not come off that way.

Anyway, glad you both enjoyed your Liege waffles -- those do look yummy! :hungry:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Glad you both liked the new Connections Eatery. (Actually, I never minded the Electric Umbrella, its predecessor.) From your photos, I'm a bit on the fence about the interior design though. On the one hand, I like the seating area, as it appears inviting. What I don't care for is the first photo showing the entry and ordering area, which has an open, barren "vibe" to it. But again, perhaps it was just the angle of the photo and/or the overall lighting. In person, it may not come off that way.

Anyway, glad you both enjoyed your Liege waffles -- those do look yummy! :hungry:
The interior of Connections is better in person. I had similar thoughts as yours when I saw opening day pictures on this site. Unfortunately, my photos don’t help my case. :hilarious:

cgersic

The interior of Connections is better in person. I had similar thoughts as yours when I saw opening day pictures on this site. Unfortunately, my photos don’t help my case. :hilarious:
Completely agree!!! We were very impressed, relaxed and the food was delicious!!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

When we exited Connections, I saw a lone CM standing in front of a temporary “wall” of rolling bush planters. Disney uses these all the time in an attempt to “hide” whatever is behind them from guests. As walls go, they are more pleasing to the eye than the others all over WALLCOT.

“You’re standing GUARD,” I winked at her, smiling.

She nodded. She was guarding the super-secret preview exit for Guardians of the Galaxy.

It killed me that I was unable to secure AP preview slots for Woody and me. 90 minutes in an online virtual queue and zilch. I didn’t know it at the time, but sweet Em was also trying to grab one for us. I’m 99% sure I won’t be able to ride GotG (motion sensitivity) but I would like to see the queue and preshows. And I know Woody (and Em) will enjoy the coaster.

Guess we’ll be playing the BG lottery on future visits. 😞

Hydrated and satiated, we moved to the next item on my agenda. A very important task for a very important person in my life. One who loves all things Figment.

25AB60D6-EF8B-4E12-AD20-506C167C0F12.jpeg

My mother. I had purchased a Flower & Garden Festival shirt for her on my trip last month. Rarely does Disney merch run true to size. Em and I had guessed her size, and we guessed wrong. Mom adored the shirt and implored me to exchange it for the correct size.

18305B8A-0A83-4B88-B205-458A358862F9.jpeg

She was very concerned the shirt would be out of stock but there were plenty in all sizes at Port of Entry. It was easy peasy to make the switch.

In addition to Festival merchandise, Port of Entry is also a “Vault Disney” merch location.

7FF2A0A3-756F-4120-B33F-632E5545FDF0.jpeg

Woody….Mr. Basic Clothing himself….was eyeing up this shirt.

07A8B4CB-974E-48C7-8246-F041156F1FF9.jpeg

I was so stunned that I sent the above ^^^ to Em.

“DO NOT let Dad buy that shirt!!” was her quick text response.

Not to worry.

I didn’t.

Billy6

Friday, con’t

When we exited Connections, I saw a lone CM standing in front of a temporary “wall” of rolling bush planters. Disney uses these all the time in an attempt to “hide” whatever is behind them from guests. As walls go, they are more pleasing to the eye than the others all over WALLCOT.

“You’re standing GUARD,” I winked at her, smiling.

She nodded. She was guarding the super-secret preview exit for Guardians of the Galaxy.

It killed me that I was unable to secure AP preview slots for Woody and me. 90 minutes in an online virtual queue and zilch. I didn’t know it at the time, but sweet Em was also trying to grab one for us. I’m 99% sure I won’t be able to ride GotG (motion sensitivity) but I would like to see the queue and preshows. And I know Woody (and Em) will enjoy the coaster.

Guess we’ll be playing the BG lottery on future visits. 😞

Hydrated and satiated, we moved to the next item on my agenda. A very important task for a very important person in my life. One who loves all things Figment.

View attachment 639237

My mother. I had purchased a Flower & Garden Festival shirt for her on my trip last month. Rarely does Disney merch run true to size. Em and I had guessed her size, and we guessed wrong. Mom adored the shirt and implored me to exchange it for the correct size.

View attachment 639241

She was very concerned the shirt would be out of stock but there were plenty in all sizes at Port of Entry. It was easy peasy to make the switch.

In addition to Festival merchandise, Port of Entry is also a “Vault Disney” merch location.

View attachment 639239

Woody….Mr. Basic Clothing himself….was eyeing up this shirt.

View attachment 639238

I was so stunned that I sent the above ^^^ to Em.

“DO NOT let Dad buy that shirt!!” was her quick text response.

Not to worry.

I didn’t.
I have any uncle that would buy and don that shirt most proudly... Some people 🤷‍♂️

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I opened the app to check wait times.

2E430ADD-310B-406F-9D8C-89CB86DB3153.png

Busy afternoon at Epcot. :hilarious:

We left the World Showcase promenade and headed to Future World (or whatever it is called now.)

88623E53-837D-4224-B41F-82669AB06B16.jpeg

Another Figment pic for my mom.
9494F113-12B0-4579-8EF2-44BDF4D61BD9.jpeg

Love how he is always surrounded by purple and pink flowers!

Time to go inside.
36882969-51BC-4DF6-946A-B9EDEB0EFAD9.jpeg

Any other old timers out there who remember office lines? Anybody who worked as a company receptionist?

BFA2FD7A-3A2E-4EAA-B2B7-FC57142E9746.jpeg

#ShirleyStatus

371C849D-8A5C-40E5-A76E-CCBB7DF85E0F.jpeg

61A92B53-37EB-4215-A9E6-F67A2BD258B7.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom