What’s the best way to make room requests?

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I have always called about a week or so before check in. Is that the best way to try to get a particular room request? And is a week out the best time to do it?

Also, what exactly does online check in accomplish for you? And if you do decide to do online check in, does that in any way undermine or affect a subsequent call that you make for room requests?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and guidance!

nickys

Premium Member
I have always called about a week or so before check in. Is that the best way to try to get a particular room request? And is a week out the best time to do it?

Also, what exactly does online check in accomplish for you? And if you do decide to do online check in, does that in any way undermine or affect a subsequent call that you make for room requests?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and guidance!
I know that Touring Plans send in emails 30 days before check-in. Since the Fall of 2019 the room assigner roles have been centralised, so there are no longer separate teams for each resort. I assume that means they have to start earlier. I would use that as a guide and call 3-4 weeks out.

How to make room requests? There are two ways that have a pretty much equal chance of working. One is to call and make your request (if you have booked through DVC or rented points then the owner should call Member Services because the Disney team cannot access the DVC system to add the request.

The other way is to use Touring Plans to send one. You do need a paid subscription to be able to use that service, and all they do is send in an email which you generate and edit as you want.

Whichever way you choose populates the same data field on your reservation, so no reason to do both otherwise the later one will over-write the earlier one.

The online check-in options are very generic and sometimes nonsensical even. The universal advice is to leave those options blank if you make a request using another method.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I know that Touring Plans send in emails 30 days before check-in. Since the Fall of 2019 the room assigner roles have been centralised, so there are no longer separate teams for each resort. I assume that means they have to start earlier. I would use that as a guide and call 3-4 weeks out.

How to make room requests? There are two ways that have a pretty much equal chance of working. One is to call and make your request (if you have booked through DVC or rented points then the owner should call Member Services because the Disney team cannot access the DVC system to add the request.

The other way is to use Touring Plans to send one. You do need a paid subscription to be able to use that service, and all they do is send in an email which you generate and edit as you want.

Whichever way you choose populates the same data field on your reservation, so no reason to do both otherwise the later one will over-write the earlier one.

The online check-in options are very generic and sometimes nonsensical even. The universal advice is to leave those options blank if you make a request using another method.
Great info! Thank you so much!

correcaminos

I'm pretty sure TP room requests are not being looked at. 4 for 4 in the last year nothing was noted with them.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure TP room requests are not being looked at. 4 for 4 in the last year nothing was noted with them.
Maybe for some resorts. Although room assignments are done centrally it could be that there are different teams for separate groups of resorts. And maybe some teams don’t take notice of requests as much as others.

That said the Touring Plans forum has a tracking thread of room requests and people report being reasonably successful far more than not, and across most resorts. But there are also complete misses reported too.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Maybe for some resorts. Although room assignments are done centrally it could be that there are different teams for separate groups of resorts. And maybe some teams don’t take notice of requests as much as others.

That said the Touring Plans forum has a tracking thread of room requests and people report being reasonably successful far more than not, and across most resorts. But there are also complete misses reported too.
Do those threads happen to make any mention of how far in advance of check in TP typically makes the particular requests?

Thanks!

correcaminos

I know you are a fan. I am reporting what I have experienced and a few other friends too. This was for 4 different resorts over the last year. Not once were they noted. Three confirmed it via CMs. I'm sorry but after this year personally and the reports of good friends saying the same I will never recommend using them again. I even pay for their site without using. Just not worth it at all. It seems post pandemic that their requests from many other I have read about have been flat out ignored

nickys

Premium Member
I know you are a fan. I am reporting what I have experienced and a few other friends too. This was for 4 different resorts over the last year. Not once were they noted. Three confirmed it via CMs. I'm sorry but after this year personally and the reports of good friends saying the same I will never recommend using them again. I even pay for their site without using. Just not worth it at all. It seems post pandemic that their requests from many other I have read about have been flat out ignored
And that’s fair enough, experiences will differ. Requests may be met or not, whichever method you use.

I’ve never actually made a room request, whether DVC or not. So I don’t have a preferred method one way or the other.

For our upcoming trip we’re doing a split stay. I might try requesting a room using just one method for each part. I’ll then have a completely unscientific direct comparison between the two methods to relate!

correcaminos

And that’s fair enough, experiences will differ. Requests may be met or not, whichever method you use.

I’ve never actually made a room request, whether DVC or not. So I don’t have a preferred method one way or the other.

For our upcoming trip we’re doing a split stay. I might try requesting a room using just one method for each part. I’ll then have a completely unscientific direct comparison between the two methods to relate!
That is true about requests not being met no matter what. June the room request wasn't even close but I just ignored it. However a friend at that time had used TP and was told there was no request in upon check in. In November at PVB I had MDE issues so I couldn't see if my room was ready or not. The front desk had been super kind in helping me. No room yet but a CM was going to assign me a room since I was just annoyed with the MDE issues to be nice. She said nothing was in the system for my room.

Then when I moved on to SSR I had requested Congress Park and got Springs for my room, I was like really? Not even close. I had an issue with the room and the elevator - super tiny - and the manager called me to see if I wanted to switch or something. Suggested where to request and noted that I had not put any request in. Hmmmm..... fourth trip I learned my lesson and wound up running a test. I put in a room request online just generic and then something similar but different for TPs after. Usually then the 2nd request wipes the first. The first is what I got and was totally happy with.

I'm appreciative of what Touring Plans does and I'll pay for it if I want to support the site - which I often do (Keep forgetting to do it here) but I won't bother with using them for room requests. No big deal for me to e-mail it in with MS and how it works. I am curious how your stay goes though!

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
For those of you who have called in with room requests, is there any particular number which is best to call?

Thanks so much!

MissViv

We used Touring Plans for our last two resort visits and DID NOT get anywhere near the location that we requested.

If you do the online checkin, you do get a text with your room # without having to go to the front desk.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
We used Touring Plans for our last two resort visits and DID NOT get anywhere near the location that we requested.

If you do the online checkin, you do get a text with your room # without having to go to the front desk.
Thanks for that info! I think I actually prefer having to go to the front desk to check in, because if for some reason I don’t get what I requested, at least that way I can speak to someone about seeing if the situation can be changed.

wdwfan22

The personalised touring plans is the main reason.

They’re miles ahead of Disney at their own game.
I guess I just don't see the point in a touring plan. I've never used one and manage to ride every attraction in every park without a lengthy wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom