News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

Disney Maddux

So maybe Zootopia coming as a potential Primeval Whirl/Dino-Rama replacement.

Rivers of Light ain't ever coming back.

Stitch is still gonna rot away?

SplashJacket

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the insistence of IP going everywhere and anywhere is so incredibly short sighted. Will there be a single vacation booked because of a Zootopia attraction?
An inherent discrepancy seems integral to Zootopia. It's a great movie, but unlike other IPs, I just completely lack the interest to visit its theme park manifestation.

I'm not sure why, even if it was at Hollywood Studios, I don't care for its representation, even though I enjoy the IP.

UNCgolf

An inherent discrepancy seems integral to Zootopia. It's a great movie, but unlike other IPs, I just completely lack the interest to visit its theme park manifestation.

I'm not sure why, even if it was at Hollywood Studios, I don't care for its representation, even though I enjoy the IP.

Maybe because it would essentially just be a recreation of a modern American city? That's generally not what people are looking for at a theme park.

WorldExplorer

Regardless of the general quality of what's currently there, ripping out the dinosaur section of the park for anything other than a different dinosaur section seems idiotic just from a money point of view.

People love dinosaurs. That's part of the theme of the current land. It's totally believable that Chester and Hester could make a good livelihood with cheap attractions so long as they're dinosaur themed because people already like them. Disney should really be able to leverage that pre-existing interest into a successful land.

But they can't, I guess. Because it's not something they've already successfully pulled off with a movie.

SplashJacket

Maybe because it would essentially just be a recreation of a modern American city? That's generally not what people are looking for at a theme park.
It's hardly a grounded recreation, and even if it was, Tokyo DisneySea's New York is stunning.

I think the main appeal of Zootopia is its concept and message. The characters and world simply function as a vassal for that message more so than in other movies or stories.

To me, Zootopia's impact arose from what it made you think and feel. Compare that with, Ratatouille, where it makes you feel and think, but it also makes you want to smell, taste, and see.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Zootopia has critics' and audience ratings that rival and surpass the likes of Aladdin, Lion King, and BatB. And, it made over a $1B at the box office. It certainly beats out Frozen, Moana, Raya, and Encanto in those same categories, tho, only the Frozen movies made higher B.O.

So... as far as *deserving* to be in the parks, as much as any other Disney Animation Studios IP, it should be at the head of the line.

Don't let one's personal meh-ness to the movie blind oneself to just how immensely popular the IP is.

If there's going to be IP, then Big Data says Zootopia is one of the most deserving.

And being in the parks has that synergistic feedback loop which encourages people to see the movie on D+ and retain their subscriptions, and all together, sell more merch.... and want to go even more so on a Zootopia ride.

Of course, that doesn't mean it should be just plopped down anywhere.

Phicinfan

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the insistence of IP going everywhere and anywhere is so incredibly short sighted. Will there be a single vacation booked because of a Zootopia attraction?
4 or 5 years ago, maybe. Now this long after the movie has been out...I don't think so

pdude81

Regardless of the general quality of what's currently there, ripping out the dinosaur section of the park for anything other than a different dinosaur section seems idiotic just from a money point of view.

People love dinosaurs. That's part of the theme of the current land. It's totally believable that Chester and Hester could make a good livelihood with cheap attractions so long as they're dinosaur themed because people already like them. Disney should really be able to leverage that pre-existing interest into a successful land.

But they can't, I guess. Because it's not something they've already successfully pulled off with a movie.
No matter how you shake it, any Dinosaur IP they come up with is competing with Jurassic Park. Dig site theme is potentially doable though.

doctornick

No matter how you shake it, any Dinosaur IP they come up with is competing with Jurassic Park. Dig site theme is potentially doable though.

the counterbalance to JP is simply to be a dinosaur area where you get to meet and learn about dinosaurs... rather than be potentially scared and eaten by them. Dinosaur (the ride) doesn't do this, but stuff the boneyard works. They simple need a slow moving ride to allow you to see dinosaurs the Dino Institute has brought back from the past and nursed to health, etc. (i.e. a dinosaur zoo).

UNCgolf

the counterbalance to JP is simply to be a dinosaur area where you get to meet and learn about dinosaurs... rather than be potentially scared and eaten by them. Dinosaur (the ride) doesn't do this, but stuff the boneyard works. They simple need a slow moving ride to allow you to see dinosaurs the Dino Institute has brought back from the past and nursed to health, etc. (i.e. a dinosaur zoo).

A 10 minute dark/boat ride where you see a bunch of animatronic dinosaurs would be a massive hit.

yensidtlaw1969

4 or 5 years ago, maybe. Now this long after the movie has been out...I don't think so
This is part of the risk with building IP based attractions - at the level of investment it takes to build in a theme park, you're looking at a 20-50 year intended lifespan. Rush too quickly on a property that ends up being a flash in the pan and you're still stuck with it for a good while yet. The main reason Stitch's Great Escape lasted as long as it did was that they spent a pretty penny on the AE to SGE conversion and didn't want to spend more money redoing it so quickly. Lilo & Stitch wasn't a flash in the pan movie, but the attraction was poorly recieved and far outstayed its welcome.

Now, the flip side of this is that a sufficiently excellent attraction has the ability to succeed despite its IP or lackthereof - Splash Mountain is generally the most famous (if also notorious) example of this, where most people riding have never seen the movie it's based on and that hasn't lessened its popularity one bit. And of course Pirates, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain . . . plenty of enduring attractions succeed for decades without any IP basis.

Generally speaking, the "cheat code" here is to base your attraction or anything you want or nothing at all, and just put the pedal to the metal and commit to making it an amazing attraction and chances are statistically good that it will carry its weight.

kalel8145

This is part of the risk with building IP based attractions - at the level of investment it takes to build in a theme park, you're looking at a 20-50 year intended lifespan. Rush too quickly on a property that ends up being a flash in the pan and you're still stuck with it for a good while yet. The main reason Stitch's Great Escape lasted as long as it did was that they spent a pretty penny on the AE to SGE conversion and didn't want to spend more money redoing it so quickly. Lilo & Stitch wasn't a flash in the pan movie, but the attraction was poorly recieved and far outstayed its welcome.

Now, the flip side of this is that a sufficiently excellent attraction has the ability to succeed despite its IP or lackthereof - Splash Mountain is generally the most famous (if also notorious) example of this, where most people riding have never seen the movie it's based on and that hasn't lessened its popularity one bit. And of course Pirates, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain . . . plenty of enduring attractions succeed for decades without any IP basis.

Generally speaking, the "cheat code" here is to base your attraction or anything you want or nothing at all, and just put the pedal to the metal and commit to making it an amazing attraction and chances are statistically good that it will carry its weight.
This is a very good point. Admittedly I am one that goes OHHHH new Marvel ride or OHHHH new attraction with the new thing. But what are the favorites? Pirates, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain. While Marvel has staying power, will it 10-15 years from now? If not what happens? Why you gotta make me think?

UNCgolf

Exactly. The IP's lifespan is irrelevant if the attraction itself is great. If the attraction is average (or even bad -- see FEA), the IP can prop it up for as long as it remains relevant, but the safest thing is to just, you know, build actual quality attractions.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom