News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Heard from insiders tonight: Splash remake is off due to Space being remade in Tokyo and the upcoming Tommorowland remake in California.
i-dont-believe-you-ron-burgundy.gif

EPCOT-O.G.

Armchair imagineering here, but how much space is available on TSI? Make it Bayou themed and add in a Tiana dark ride, restaurant, store & meet and greet area.
You could maybe do something with that in Disneyland? It would be odd to have a PATF attraction/experience in Disneyland without it being adjacent to New Orleans Square, but they also have Star Tours in Tomorrowland (for now —?) and SW: GE.

I don’t know that the footprint in MK would lend itself the same way.

999th Happy Haunt

I mean, Tiana deserves a place in the parks. This was just never the correct place for her, especially in Disney World. And in general, why re-skin something that has literally never waned in popularity? Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain don't need any help. If you were going to re-develop something in Frontierland, why not Tom Sawyer Island?
There are plenty of IPs that "deserve" an attraction. Princess and the Frog can get in line again.

Midwest Elitist

So if this is true, a few things:

Disney never explicitly said that Splash is racist, just PR fluff about being "inclusive" (again, they think their fans are children).

I don't believe The "blowback" will be as large as some might think. Aside from loudmouths on Twitter and Reddit (which is also changing), I have seen far more hate for the change than the current ride. I am not lumping in those who genuinely want a PaTF ride to replace Splash because they like the movie.

This will give Carter a chance to show how her and the DEI team can create an original attraction instead of poorly shoehorning IP into a building not built for it. Also would increase capacity for the MK. Overall win.

One thing I wish they would do, which they probably wont is to drop the stigma about the music. Zip is so far removed from the movie at this point. Heck, just release the movie already as a learning experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Like was mainly because of Ron Burgundy, but I also agree that I want to hear this from other sources before thinking it even has a chance of being true.
Well, lack of other insiders saying the same is a sign, as well as:

1. Long time poster who never referenced insider sources before (AFAIK)

2. Claim to hear it from more than one insider.

3. The reason not to makes no sense. Disney knew they were going to do other projects as well as retheme Splash... nothing has changed.

I believe and sincerely hope it was meant to be an obvious joke and not a prank.

Ghost93

So if this is true, a few things:

Disney never explicitly said that Splash is racist, just PR fluff about being "inclusive" (again, they think their fans are children).
While the initial press release didn't mention Song of the South, there was an interview where Bob Chapek mentioned despite Splash being popular it needed to change because it was tied to Song of the South which he said made slavery seem happy. He made some false statements in the interview (like saying the ride was 60 years old), but he made it clear that SOTS was the problem.

celluloid

While the initial press release didn't mention Song of the South, there was an interview where Bob Chapek mentioned despite Splash being popular it needed to change because it was tied to Song of the South which he said made slavery seem happy. He made some false statements in the interview (like saying the ride was 60 years old), but he made it clear that SOTS was the problem.

Apparently, Bob does not even know when the film takes place, nor when the ride opened within three decades.

UNCgolf

Well, lack of other insiders saying the same is a sign, as well as:

1. Long time poster who never referenced insider sources before (AFAIK)

2. Claim to hear it from more than one insider.

3. The reason not to makes no sense. Disney knew they were going to do other projects as well as retheme Splash... nothing has changed.

I believe and sincerely hope it was meant to be an obvious joke and not a prank.

Yep, exactly my thoughts.

Sir_Cliff

There are plenty of IPs that "deserve" an attraction. Princess and the Frog can get in line again.
I must say I don't find the argument such and such a film "deserves" an attraction particularly compelling. I can understand why they would want to give PatF priority, but they've struggled to come up with more than a show or meet-and-greet for many of their far more popular IPs such as The Lion King or Moana. Sometimes the results when they finally do get around to developing an actual ride (such as TLM and BatB) suggest maybe they didn't have any great ideas of how to translate popular IPs into good attractions and maybe should have just left them without a ride. This has come up on the Encanto thread, but there are other films like that one which seem to lend themselves more easily to theme park attractions regardless of how popular it is relative to other IPs. I'm kind of surprised they never came up with a decent Stitch attraction as they have a good character and fun settings to work with as well as high merchandising potential, regardless of the strengths or weaknesses of the film he's from.

In the case of PatF, I guess the setting of New Orleans and the bayou is appealing for a water-based attraction? I'm not sure whether any other aspects of the film make it particularly ideal for a theme park attraction in and of itself. I'm not sure how well known (or appealing) the characters are outside of Tiana and the songs also haven't really caught on.

Ghost93

I must say I don't find the argument such and such a film "deserves" an attraction particularly compelling. I can understand why they would want to give PatF priority, but they've struggled to come up with more than a show or meet-and-greet for many of their far more popular IPs such as The Lion King or Moana. Sometimes the results when they finally do get around to developing an actual ride (such as TLM and BatB) suggest maybe they didn't have any great ideas of how to translate popular IPs into good attractions and maybe should have just left them without a ride. This has come up on the Encanto thread, but there are other films like that one which seem to lend themselves more easily to theme park attractions regardless of how popular it is relative to other IPs. I'm kind of surprised they never came up with a decent Stitch attraction as they have a good character and fun settings to work with as well as high merchandising potential, regardless of the strengths or weaknesses of the film he's from.

In the case of PatF, I guess the setting of New Orleans and the bayou is appealing for a water-based attraction? I'm not sure whether any other aspects of the film make it particularly ideal for a theme park attraction in and of itself. I'm not sure how well known (or appealing) the characters are outside of Tiana and the songs also haven't really caught on.
I agree that just because a movie is good doesn't mean it warrants an attraction. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my favorite Disney films, but with it's somber tone and subject matter I don't think it's very suited for a "ride" at Disney World. Frollo, despite being a great character, sorta feels out of place when he shows up with the Disney villains in Fantasmic and other events.

Same goes for movies like Bambi and the Fox and the Hound. Good stuff, but I can't think of a ride that would suit them. Many are indifferent to James Cameron's Avatar as a movie, but agree that the land in Animal Kingdom is really cool and that Flight of Passage is a great ride.

I do think that if Splash Mountain had to be rethemed, the Princess and the Frog is an extremely good fit due to its bayou setting. The fireflies and Dr. Facillier's Friends on the Other Side could also lend themselves well to impressive lighting effects.

GoneForGood

I agree that just because a movie is good doesn't mean it warrants an attraction. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my favorite Disney films, but with it's somber tone and subject matter I don't think it's very suited for a "ride" at Disney World. Frollo, despite being a great character, sorta feels out of place when he shows up with the Disney villains in Fantasmic and other events.

Same goes for movies like Bambi and the Fox and the Hound. Good stuff, but I can't think of a ride that would suit them. Many are indifferent to James Cameron's Avatar as a movie, but agree that the land in Animal Kingdom is really cool and that Flight of Passage is a great ride.

I do think that if Splash Mountain had to be rethemed, the Princess and the Frog is an extremely good fit due to its bayou setting. The fireflies and Dr. Facillier's Friends on the Other Side could also lend themselves well to impressive lighting effects.
Frollo's inclusion in WDW Fantasmic always made me laugh. Especially when he accuses Mickey of "Witchcraft!" at the end.... when he is literally in league with evil sorcerers. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom