Are park reservations going away?

Notes from Neverland

One other note of frustration about the park reservation system - We've been trying to do the Up Close with Rhinos tour for years now, and when it finally has availability, Animal Kingdom is full and has no passes. Extremely disappointing.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This is exactly the point I was making. DVC wasn't paying for it as part of their MFs as @helenabear stated. Likely, it was considered part of some promotion expense charged against all the rentable rooms on property (i.e. hidden). I think DVC was a beneficiary of DME. And, now, they're getting the extended hours (rightfully so); it's just included in your MFs either ;)
You really don't know what you are talking about, but @helenabear does. For example, the cost for transportation for SSR for 2021, while DME was running was $12,574,772. For 2022 when DME is no longer running, the cost is $12,461,629. A reduction of $113,143 even though there was an increase in labor costs for the resort bus drivers. If we weren't paying for DME, then the transportation cost would have gone up. So yes, we were paying for DME, and now we are not. And one thing to remember about the DME cost is that it was shared amongst multiple resorts. The SSR bus also went to OKW, POFQ, and POR. So the cost is spread out.

WDWYankee15

Smallish update here: they're caught between a rock and a hard place. They realize the shortcomings of the current Park Pass program but they are still quite necessary as they return to normal staffing levels. The program isn't permanent (not at least any where near its current form) but it's going to be a while until it changes. The faster they can hire, the faster it changes. The good news is though, that this will get better.
So what do you think this update means for a timeframe in resuming AP sales? I have an August trip planned and having an AP or not will effect my plans considerable. The not knowing is so difficult, especially with something that they want (almost require) you to plan so much for in the future.

Anteater

You really don't know what you are talking about, but @helenabear does. For example, the cost for transportation for SSR for 2021, while DME was running was $12,574,772. For 2022 when DME is no longer running, the cost is $12,461,629. A reduction of $113,143 even though there was an increase in labor costs for the resort bus drivers. If we weren't paying for DME, then the transportation cost would have gone up. So yes, we were paying for DME, and now we are not. And one thing to remember about the DME cost is that it was shared amongst multiple resorts. The SSR bus also went to OKW, POFQ, and POR. So the cost is spread out.
Still looking for documentation on these numbers. Care to provide a link to the detailed info, not just your summary?

Disney Glimpses

So what do you think this update means for a timeframe in resuming AP sales? I have an August trip planned and having an AP or not will effect my plans considerable. The not knowing is so difficult, especially with something that they want (almost require) you to plan so much for in the future
That's a really tough one. I would say purchase tickets at the last minute so you can make your park reservations. And then if APs resume by the time your trip starts, you can roll the cost of tickets into the AP. That being said, from what I understand, they should be back by then.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Still looking for documentation on these numbers. Care to provide a link to the detailed info, not just your summary?
You're kidding, right? Well, even though off topic, to satisfy your crazy desire to be wrong, I have attached the 2 pdfs from DVC detailing the exact costs for each line item - first for 2021 and second for this year. Just scroll down until you see - Transportation. If you really are a DVC member, you would know that we get these every year, so I doubt that you are a member.

On topic. We also hope that the park reservation crap goes away. While we did secure our 3 FP+ in the past, we frequently made them for the park we were going to hop to, and not the first park. But we could change our minds the morning of, and now you can't, since you have to tap into the first park in order to park hop. I really can't fathom why Disney is trying to kill the guest experience with everything that they are doing to us. It's not enough to stop us from going yet, but further changes may.

Attachments

• 2020_Condo_Notice_SSR.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 2021-condo-notice-ssr.pdf
    91.6 KB · Views: 77

Anteater

You're kidding, right? Well, even though off topic, to satisfy your crazy desire to be wrong, I have attached the 2 pdfs from DVC detailing the exact costs for each line item - first for 2021 and second for this year. Just scroll down until you see - Transportation. If you really are a DVC member, you would know that we get these every year, so I doubt that you are a member.

On topic. We also hope that the park reservation crap goes away. While we did secure our 3 FP+ in the past, we frequently made them for the park we were going to hop to, and not the first park. But we could change our minds the morning of, and now you can't, since you have to tap into the first park in order to park hop. I really can't fathom why Disney is trying to kill the guest experience with everything that they are doing to us. It's not enough to stop us from going yet, but further changes may.
Don't worry. I have a WILD desire to be wrong. The PDFs do not include the detail for transportation costs, only the summary. So, we're getting close. I'm guessing you don't have the detailed breakdown of that line item?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Don't worry. I have a WILD desire to be wrong. The PDFs do not include the detail for transportation costs, only the summary. So, we're getting close. I'm guessing you don't have the detailed breakdown of that line item?
So you just can't accept the fact that the cost went down after DME was stopped is proof enough, even though the labor costs were higher? Since there is no satisfying you, I'm done with you and you can believe whatever stupid crap you like. Good day to you.

Anteater

So you just can't accept the fact that the cost went down after DME was stopped is proof enough, even though the labor costs were higher? Since there is no satisfying you, I'm done with you and you can believe whatever stupid crap you like. Good day to you.
Attack the person when you can't answer the question. That's really becoming of you. Have a Magical Day!

correcaminos

I would give up on this one tbh. It is well known what we pay (or paid) for. Some just want to be contrary or hide behind the fact that their comment wasn't really relevant in the first place. I couldn't use my OKW because thanks to rising salaries our transportation went up. I forgot to look at PVB and too lazy to look at CCV. I do know the discussion about ME back in 2005 when it started and how many member who drive were like "oh yay we have to subsidize this too"

Probably wise to just ignore and stay on topic.

payload

Something we agree on! I think the pullback will be accelerated by the rapid inflation in air fares, gasoline costs and hotel room rates. That combined with inflation taking away disposable income.
The FOMC meeting was today and Powell says, "further surprises can unfold"...

The pain of inflation, rate hikes, and fiscal policy will take months to play out. We are already seeing a drop in CPI and a pullback in GDP. There will surely be a slowdown as the middle class and the like can no longer expense a Disney trip when your grocery bill and utilities are magnified.

Disney4Lyfe

Something we agree on! I think the pullback will be accelerated by the rapid inflation in air fares, gasoline costs and hotel room rates. That combined with inflation taking away disposable income.

The FOMC meeting was today and Powell says, "further surprises can unfold"...

The pain of inflation, rate hikes, and fiscal policy will take months to play out. We are already seeing a drop in CPI and a pullback in GDP. There will surely be a slowdown as the middle class and the like can no longer expense a Disney trip when your grocery bill and utilities are magnified.
One “positive” of all this. My trip last week, the food costs seemed pretty normal
Since I am being regularly ripped off at home now.

Ayla

We were going to add a park day to our tickets for Friday, but since they are supposedly at capacity 🙄, nope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom