Cruise line ad attacks price of Disney World

Hitchens

Original Poster
(I'm sharing this here because I want to know, if you've done both a Disney and a Princess Cruise, how did they contrast?)

I thought this was a clever ad . . .

. . . but the cost of the additional excursions they show in the commercial would make it an expensive cruise,
and an inside cabin on a Disney Cruise to Alaska is a good value, I think.

My young daughter LOVED our Disney Wonder vacation to Alaska, as did my wife & I.
I've written this before, but the outstanding Disney Cruise cast/crew members made us feel like we were never in coach
despite being in our inside cabin.

That written, I would prefer a non-Disney cruise, unless I was with a kid who was between 4 & 12.
Also, my wife & I would splurge on a cabin with a balcony now.

I've only done one cruise (the Disney one to Alaska), and I'd like to hear how you liked & disliked other cruise lines, specifically why you liked them less or more than Disney cruise. Note: Gary Bembridge's well-made "Tips for Travellers" videos on Youtube often compare the different cruise lines.

imahistorygeek

I've only done one cruise (the Disney one to Alaska), and I'd like to hear how you liked & disliked other cruise lines, specifically why you liked them less or more than Disney cruise. Note: Gary Bembridge's well-made "Tips for Travellers" videos on Youtube often compare the different cruise lines.

We've sailed Disney for years. DCL has never been cheap, but we've appreciated the upkeep of the ship and the service. We recently sailed the Wonder and this still holds true. I also believe DCL has the best room attendants. What I don't like about DCL no drink package. You can have a drink package without being sloppy about it. It's nice to not have a drink bill at the end of the cruise. The food is so-so and you can find better on other cruise lines. Their loyalty program is a joke. With all that said, we have an upcoming sailing on the Wish and I'm really excited.

We've sailed Celebrity, Virgin, and NCL.

Celebrity is now our preferred line. Drinks, tips, and wifi are included (in most fares). The ships, especially the Edge class, are beautiful. Prices for the new ships are about the same as Disney, but you can get some great deals on older ships and they are well maintained. The food is as good or better than Disney and there's a lot more variety.

We did NCL once and it was ok. Food wasn't good, but they had an open bar, wifi, shore excursion credit, and specialty dining included in the fare.

Virgin was also good. The pool is ridiculously small, but the rest of the ship is really nice. No drink package here either. The food is outstanding and some of the best food I've ever eaten.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The ships, especially the Edge class, are beautiful.
1651093575662.png

Same energy.

1651093660884.png

I know there are a lot of great things about other cruise lines, but most of their ships are uuuuuuuuuuuuuugly.

Last edited:

John park hopper

We did a 2 week Alaska Holland America trip and it was excellent the service and the food was outstanding. It is not a Disney cruise with a lot of kids it is an older crowd so if you have kids I would not do Holland America. The nightly entertainment was great and geared for an adult audience. The staff on the ship could not have been more helpful.

Phonedave

Celebrity is now our preferred line. Drinks, tips, and wifi are included (in most fares). The ships, especially the Edge class, are beautiful. Prices for the new ships are about the same as Disney, but you can get some great deals on older ships and they are well maintained. The food is as good or better than Disney and there's a lot more variety.

I agree 100%

Having sailed both Celebrity and Disney multiple times, I maintain my opinion that unless you have younger kids, DCL is way overpriced. DCL kids clubs and offerings for kids are head and shoulders above Celebrity. But as far as anything else, not so much, and most assuredly not worth the additional cost.

I do find the Edge class Celebrity ships (and for that matter, most large cruise ships) kind of uninspiring from the outside. Disney does have some very pretty looking ships. However, once you are on board, you really cannot see the ship from the outside. Yeah, when you are in port you can see your ship - big deal. Is it really worth the extra money?

imahistorygeek

I agree 100%

Having sailed both Celebrity and Disney multiple times, I maintain my opinion that unless you have younger kids, DCL is way overpriced. DCL kids clubs and offerings for kids are head and shoulders above Celebrity. But as far as anything else, not so much, and most assuredly not worth the additional cost.

I do find the Edge class Celebrity ships (and for that matter, most large cruise ships) kind of uninspiring from the outside. Disney does have some very pretty looking ships. However, once you are on board, you really cannot see the ship from the outside. Yeah, when you are in port you can see your ship - big deal. Is it really worth the extra money?

I should have clarified inside and outside of the ship. I mostly meant the inside. There is a ton of art work (if that's your thing) and everything is modern and tastefully decorated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom