Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

Toni25

I can't help but wonder if this is going to be less like new facing on the building and more like complete demo of the existing structure. The similarities to the current building basically end with "It's white and vaguely conical". That would give them the chance to do basically anything they wanted inside without being hampered by the existing dome. Though if it's closed for 3 years they probably won't have any problem ripping it wide open for interior access, at the very least.

From my understanding from twitter, the whole building will be demolished and the new structure built from scratch.
Very ambitious and truly, they can do anything with it without being limited at all.
I'm thinking they might also reposition it? Keeping in mind a future expansion involving that parking space behind?
I think this project is really bold and makes me excited for the future of Tokyo & also other Disney Parks.

It's really interesting the way Disney experiments with changing up their icons (The castle in Hong Kong, now the Space Mountain in Tokyo). It seems they started this trend in Asia since maybe the population is not as emotionally attached to certain buildings the way Americans might be. Reinvention was always part of Disney essence, but they still pay homage to the past.

It's not like they're erasing the past, the idea of space mountain is literally the same as the original...they're just rebuilding it to fit in the modern times. It's not like they're demolishing some national treasure, it's just an amusement park after all.

I LOVE THIS !!!
Tokyo Disney is always THE BLUEPRINT for other parks.

britain

That's what's so weird - is this new design really significantly more futuristic than the original Space Mountain dome? So much so that it's worth the millions they're gonna spend to get it there? I would argue that Space Mountain has FAR more problems on the inside than it does on the outside . . . like, to the degree where the inside is practically a liability after how cool and (I would have thought) timeless the original exterior is. Tokyo's Tomorrowland feels more like a throwback than any of the others, but the look of Space Mountain seems hardly the problem.

It seems silly to ask if Tokyo's Space Mountain sustained any damage in the 2011 earthquake, but . . . did it? They nearly moved Small World a few years ago due to problems the building had even years after. If Space has been in constant need of bandaids I can see why they might decide it's time to just swing big and start fresh. But short of that it's hard to fathom why they'd make SUCH a big project out of an already-headlining attraction.

I know OLC takes more pride in their parks than management does stateside, but this seems too big to simply ascribe to that, doesn't it?

Possibly. You never know what the local audience perceives. We might see the classic Space Mt shape as timeless, but the Japanese audience might "see" a late 70's Mt. Fuji.

co10064

Premium Member
The new structure gives me vibes of Space Mountain, mixed with the building for The Seas, mixed with Tron, with a Pandora-esque plaza.
Yes! I thought the same thing. I also see some elements of DCA's Avenger's campus (particularly the ancient sanctum) in there with the lighting package.

britain

Interesting when looking at the old design - it comes off as austere, cold, dangerous. Which is fine when you're trying to emphasize "Space Travel is a dangerous adventure!"

1651080574216.png

And then to look at the new design and read their new story/theme: "Earth as precious part of harmony in the universe." It's still a thrill ride, but interestingly, they seem to be making this TDR's Pandora/Epcot moment. It looks like it's made of galactic flower petals.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Rather than looking back to the 50's and 60's for retro-futurism, were now looking back at the 90s and 2000s for organic-futurism.

Think Farscape.

It'd be nice to have a Space Mountain with a more contemporary coaster and better SFX in the dark.

1651081212690.png

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

What they're doing to Tokyo's Space Mountain does make me wonder if they might try doing this to WDW's Space Mountain to make it fit more next to its new TRON neighbor. I would be surprised . . . but then, I already am surprised they're doing this in Tokyo.

I too am thinking this may be a ploy by WDI to split the cost with Tokyo for a rebuild of WDW's SM, BUT the two are quite different (TDL's is a copy of DLR, and much smaller), and I'm not sure Disney proper has the nerve to do something this big for WDW...but then they are redoing Splash Mountain, so who knows...

There's also vague mention of using "renewals of existing attractions" to drive attendance.

Sounds similar to what DLP did. Overhaul one E-ticket at a time and put in new effects, though Tokyo kind of started that already with rides like Jungle Cruise and Small World. Could be related to the upcoming lengthily closure of Pirates.

Tokyo's Space is the worst IMO. A boring copy of DLR, but now rough and worn. I support a total gut and rebuild, but I'm not sold on the new look and I'm concerned about the rest of Tomorrowland. Don't get rid of the spires at the entrance!

I think this is all part of a broader effort to "update" TDL and have it not look so much like 1970s MK, which WDI has been biased against for some time. However, for myself and others that's the whole appeal of Tokyo Disneyland and I really don't trust this generation of Imagineers to do any substantial overhaul right. Eddie Sotto's New Tomorrowland had greater potential IMO.

I fear the worst for some of my personal favorites like Snow White and Haunted Mansion. WED got them right the first time.

BasiltheBatLord

I can't help but wonder if this is going to be less like new facing on the building and more like complete demo of the existing structure.
I believe that's what "complete rebuild" is referring to.

Sounds similar to what DLP did. Overhaul one E-ticket at a time and put in new effects,
Could be as simple as the limited time gimmicks they've started experimenting with this year like Splash with more water etc. But also could be something else. "Renewal" in Japanese usually means "renovation".

Last edited:

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
I too am thinking this may be a ploy by WDI to split the cost with Tokyo for a rebuild of WDW's SM, BUT the two are quite different (TDL's is a copy of DLR, and much smaller)
There’s a big part of me that thinks OLC has two big road blocks they themselves installed that makes this not likely.
  1. OLC is no longer in the business of directly cloning attractions. Those days ended after Toontown in 1996, everything new since then (except Stitch Encounter and Toy Story Mania save for the queue) has been something new. Sure, it could’ve been a previously used ride system/layout (Indy, Soaring, Baymax), but things always get their own spin for Japan. This both makes me severely doubt Tron will come to TDL and also leads into point two:
  2. I’m willing to put money on the idea that OLC has started instituting exclusivity clauses into their terms for funding new attractions. Especially with how desperately and obviously Disney wants to use OLC’s capital to save some cash, I think they want to make sure their hard-earned money isn’t then used by Disney to cheaply add things to their parks.
Disclaimer: Speculation based on observation.

Comped

There’s a big part of me that thinks OLC has two big road blocks they themselves installed that makes this not likely.
  1. OLC is no longer in the business of directly cloning attractions. Those days ended after Toontown in 1996, everything new since then (except Stitch Encounter and Toy Story Mania save for the queue) has been something new. Sure, it could’ve been a previously used ride system/layout (Indy, Soaring, Baymax), but things always get their own spin for Japan. This both makes me severely doubt Tron will come to TDL and also leads into point two:
  2. I’m willing to put money on the idea that OLC has started instituting exclusivity clauses into their terms for funding new attractions. Especially with how desperately and obviously Disney wants to use OLC’s capital to save some cash, I think they want to make sure their hard-earned money isn’t then used by Disney to cheaply add things to their parks.
Disclaimer: Speculation based on observation.
All Asian parks have exclusivity clauses in their attractions and shows, and have for decades.

SweetDuffy101

That hotel is so incredibly ugly it’s insane
TBH the video doesn't really justify on how it looks in person and lets be fair that this hotel is still under construction, If you see it in person its not as bad as it looks but what i Can tell you, Is that this might be the biggest hotels within the resort very comparable to Mira costa and Disneyland Hotel.

TTA94

Theres currently a buzz that a brand new drum train for Dreamlights has been spotted backstage,
No pics yet as of the moment. Maybe a mistaken Float from Spooky boo western railroad float.

Hopefully it’s for Dreamlights, the current train is still the original correct? I don’t believe it was updated at all like the rest of the parade has been. I had assumed whenever they did decide to update the train it would be included in the next large overhaul of the parade, not just one float.

PiratesMansion

Hopefully it’s for Dreamlights, the current train is still the original correct? I don’t believe it was updated at all like the rest of the parade has been. I had assumed whenever they did decide to update the train it would be included in the next large overhaul of the parade, not just one float.
Yes, the current Dreamlights train float is the only one still around from the parade's debut in 2001.

All others have been replaced or updated.

SweetDuffy101

Dreamlights has been broken multiples times this year alot of causes where from Train float which ironically 21 years old and recently the Small airship float has gotten some issues as well.

The float got a debut in 2018 and broke last month
and here is the video of tractors pulling the unit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom