News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder how DVC would factor into that. Since almost a quarter of taxes paid to RCID come from DVC owners would they get a vote? In a practical sense they don’t own the land since it goes back to Disney after x number of years but they are paying real estate taxes as if they are land owners and a deed is generated when you buy in.
I don't know timeshare peculiars here.. but just because DVC people are the ones paying out of pocket doesn't mean they are the same as the owner with rights. This limited deed stuff complicates stuff... and frankly I've never looked into it.

DVC doesn't break out property tax in your fees right? So you don't even get to claim the tax deduction.

Chip Chipperson

I don't know timeshare peculiars here.. but just because DVC people are the ones paying out of pocket doesn't mean they are the same as the owner with rights. This limited deed stuff complicates stuff... and frankly I've never looked into it.

DVC doesn't break out property tax in your fees right? So you don't even get to claim the tax deduction.
They actually do break out property taxes on the annual dues statement. I wouldn't be surprised if the contract has a proxy voting clause that grants any RCID voting rights to DVC rather than each individual member, though.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The statute terminating RCID is worded in such a way as to negate the requirement that landowners vote.

The statute requiring that landowners vote was passed with a simple majority, and it only takes a simple majority to nullify it.
It's unclear whether or not it could apply retroactively, or whether a simple "Notwithstanding" is enough to remove the requirement. I.e. the legislature could remove the requirement for voters for new districts formed today and beyond but can't retroactively do so for districts incorporated when that statute existed.

There's also a provision in the state constitution about a vote required to transfer services from one taxing entity to another they may come into play.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Taxes are broken out separate as a per point charge and they vary by resort. They do reference both the Orange County and RCID tax collectors. In theory you can claim a tax deduction or could before most people stopped itemizing.

Prince-1

Agreed. That's why I said possibly.

Putting all Floridians aside, DeSantis only does or does not do things that he thinks will help HIMSELF politically.

Time will tell if he did the right thing for HIMSELF.

Whatever happens with WDW or the Florida taxpayers is of no matter to HIM.

You are correct on this. DeSantis has his eyes on moving to a much bigger house, in a nice shade of white, in the near future. Everything he does is to reach that goal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They actually do break out property taxes on the annual dues statement. I wouldn't be surprised if the contract has a proxy voting clause that grants any RCID voting rights to DVC rather than each individual member, though.
Yes, most powers reside with the association. Owners have little control over anything. There is an annual meeting but I’ve never heard of the budgets or plans being changed based on owners objections.

Buried20KLeague

I‘m sure they could do it, but is anyone considering whether they should? What’s to stop the state of CA from creating a special taxing unit for Tesla since Elon Musk spoke out about something political the governor didn’t like. Or the state of NY creating a special tax on Morgan Stanley because their CEO leans right and they donate to GOP campaigns. This is not the way governments should be run. You don’t punish political opponents by taxing them more. It frightens me that some people seem to be OK with this. It’s bad for the economy and it’s bad for the country.

I think we’re maybe at the point where we need a 3rd party, the center party, for the majority of Americans who aren’t at either extreme.

I've got news for you... The instant an ACTUAL third party becomes large enough to be an ACTUAL threat to win elections, you'd instantly see the left and the right get together to crush them. Then once that threat was squashed, those same people that just worked together to crush the dissention would go back to "hating" each other on Twitter.

This country is in trouble, and it's likely too late to fix it. The horse is already out of the barn.

Anteater

At least help wash some dishes!

I really hate it when they have a sports game on and scream and cheer at the screen while we’re in the kitchen prepping food that takes us hours to cook.

Okay, I’m done ranting now. Lol.
Don't Do. It. It's their party, let them plan and execute their own food choices. In that case, they'll get chips, dips, and meat cooked on a grille. Remember, make THEM do the clean-up too! 🤣

WEDYENSID

I've got news for you... The instant an ACTUAL third party becomes large enough to be an ACTUAL threat to win elections, you'd instantly see the left and the right get together to crush them. Then once that threat was squashed, those same people that just worked together to crush the dissention would go back to "hating" each other on Twitter.

This country is in trouble, and it's likely too late to fix it. The horse is already out of the barn.
Correct... H. Ross Perot is a good example of what happens...

DisneyDebRob

Taxes are broken out separate as a per point charge and they vary by resort. They do reference both the Orange County and RCID tax collectors. In theory you can claim a tax deduction or could before most people stopped itemizing.
Ive always claimed the interest paid way back when i was still paying on it. In the early 2000’s I remember my tax guy saying thats fine but thats all you can claim. Cant claim your dues etc. Both my contracts have been psid off since 2010 so not sure if anything changed on the interest front.

Last edited:

brb1006

Live look at The Mom preparing another warning about staying on topic for the "insert number here" time in this thread these past couple of days/weeks.
booze.gif

"I'm getting too old for this"

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

Is Disney's silence regarding this (and lack of any legal action) a sign that they are simply renegotiating the terms of the district? DeSantis will take the win from his base and practically nothing changes on Disney's side.

lazyboy97o

Is Disney's silence regarding this (and lack of any legal action) a sign that they are simply renegotiating the terms of the district? DeSantis will take the win from his base and practically nothing changes on Disney's side.
I can’t imagine negotiations would stay secret.

I was wondering earlier if it might make sense to wait until after the election to actually make any moves. The current situation is good for District support, the locals are being left with a huge tax burden and nobody can claim that the big corporation is just trying to keep its tax benefits. In court the delay can just be presented as the parties doing their due diligence to figure things out.

brb1006

ConfushedSpongebob.gif

Alright guys, after hours of reading over 206 pages in this thread (due to enjoying the heck out of Kirby and the Forgotten Land on my Nintendo Switch). I'm currently lost on what we're discussing. We went from discussing Florida Legislators wanting to remove The Reedy Creek Improvement District. To discussing about LGBTQ parenting and the Florida Bill, then talking about if Disney Animated Movies (the pre-Renissance Era) are appropriate for modern parents/audiences. Then back to discussing Reedy Creek (sometimes), then hints of religious parenting, and suddenly back on topic.

Poor Mom.

If you excuse me, I'm going to finish up the post-game section of Kirby and the Forgotten Land then I'll revisit this thread for more pages to read (if they aren't removed that is).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ive always claimed the interest paid way back when i was still paying on it. In the early 2000’s I remember my tax guy saying thats fine but thats all you can claim. Cant claim your dues etc. Both my contracts have been psid off since 2010 so not sure if anything changed on the interest front.
Interest on the mortgage can be deductible in most cases if you borrow money to buy DVC. We were talking about deducting the real estate taxes paid. You can also do that but I think for BLT it was $1.72 per point last year so not a huge deduction unless you own a whole lot of points. Since the 2017 tax bill most people stopped itemizing deductions so it’s not a benefit anymore for the majority of owners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom