News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mikejs78

Premium Member
Possibly. But keep in mind, the two counties getting dumped on; Orange and Osceola are blue, he never had in the first place so there is nothing to lose.
True but that's a bit simplistic. Some % of people in those counties voted for DeSantis in 2018. It wasn't 100% for the Democratic candidate. If he loses some of those people it could be trouble for him.

lazyboy97o

Disney has some unique architectural elements though that aren't found elsewhere.
They’re generally not as unique as they look. It’s also not a generally accepted practice that inspectors have to be employees of the supervising agencies. Florida itself requires large Assembly buildings, called threshold buildings, to utilize a private inspector paid by the contractor but responsible to the building authority.

lazyboy97o

True but that's a bit simplistic. Some % of people in those counties voted for DeSantis in 2018. It wasn't 100% for the Democratic candidate. If he loses some of those people it could be trouble for him.
There is this narrative that DeSantis is actually this hugely popular politician who rode a wave of support into the governor’s mansion. He didn’t even receive 50% of the vote and won by less than 40,000 votes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn’t have any luck either until it got close to the 24 hour cancellation deadline, and that’s when they started coming. Make sure you have searches for the restaurant and the lounge, too. Hope it works out for you!
Yeah…not surprising.

I think slot of people have it booked for the and have no idea on the price. And I personally always cancel ressies on trips when the food coma starts to set in

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You know…you had to remind me that Morgan Stanley still existed 😂

Totally forgot. Morgan Stanley was started with seed money from Granddad JP Morgan…but that was long ago
We still trade with Morgan Stanley‘s commodities shop a lot. It was JP that merged with Chase and Merrill Lynch with BoA and Lehman Bros just went under.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, an argument could be made that WDW’s size is irrelevant.

It’s my understanding that special districts were (are?) intended for residents, not companies.

And Orlando County does not run WDW, it only governs it.

RCID’s budget is only $165M, a fraction of Orlando County’s $5 plus billion dollar budget.

This is not a reason to dissolve RCID, only a suggestion that Orange County is capable of governing it.
Orange County could absolutely absorb managing the services for WDW. It’s a county of 1.4M residents not a handful of swamp people living there like 50+ years ago when RCID was established.

At the end of the day it comes back to the same question, just because they could absorb it is that in the best interest for the people of FL to do? It seems pretty clear cut that with RCID Disney is still paying taxes to OC for services they really don’t receive and the cost of the services are paid for by Disney through taxes paid to RCID. For Orange County they are absolutely better off if RCID stays in place. Disney gets the benefit of autonomy and also the off balance sheet financing but that has no negative impact on anyone living in FL. So what’s the gain of dissolving? Punishing Disney. That’s about it, but the main benefit Disney gets has no detrimental impact on the citizens of FL. There is an attempt to craft a narrative that somehow Disney is getting a benefit at the cost of taxpayers that will be removed. It’s simply not true.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
RCID is a form of government with its own employees.

RCID assets transfer to Orange County.

Any idea if the employees do as well?
The devil is in the details on how that gets done. I would assume for something like the first responders they would want to keep the people with the experience and knowledge of facilities and unique equipment but they would roll under the existing Orange County management structure. I would hope they bridge their time for pensions and time of service. I cannot imagine a guy who is a few years short of vesting in a full pension would be made to start over. That would be harsh.

Disstevefan1

Agreed. That's why I said possibly.

Putting all Floridians aside, DeSantis only does or does not do things that he thinks will help HIMSELF politically.

Time will tell if he did the right thing for HIMSELF.

Whatever happens with WDW or the Florida taxpayers is of no matter to HIM.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The devil is in the details on how that gets done. I would assume for something like the first responders they would want to keep the people with the experience and knowledge of facilities and unique equipment but they would roll under the existing Orange County management structure. I would hope they bridge their time for pensions and time of service. I cannot imagine a guy who is a few years short of vesting in a full pension would be made to start over. That would be harsh.
How does that work though from the perspective that there are two counties involved?

mmascari

It's all in the details and takes time to work out. That's why people keep saying the impacts start now not in a year. All that planning takes time.

I worked with guy once where his department was outsourced. They rebadged him to work for the outsource contractor, and he got to bring his years of service with him. A few years go by, and the department was brought back in house. They rebadged him again, back to an employee. For the change back, he lost the years of service for the time he worked for the outsourcer. So, I worked with him for like 10 years, but he only had like 7 years of service. He lost the 3 while doing the exact same job but being paid by the outsourcer. Anything that was years of service based was impacted. Things like vacation time. He went from one company plan to anther and back but at a reduced grant all while doing the exact same job.

Disstevefan1

It's all in the details and takes time to work out. That's why people keep saying the impacts start now not in a year. All that planning takes time.

I worked with guy once where his department was outsourced. They rebadged him to work for the outsource contractor, and he got to bring his years of service with him. A few years go by, and the department was brought back in house. They rebadged him again, back to an employee. For the change back, he lost the years of service for the time he worked for the outsourcer. So, I worked with him for like 10 years, but he only had like 7 years of service. He lost the 3 while doing the exact same job but being paid by the outsourcer. Anything that was years of service based was impacted. Things like vacation time. He went from one company plan to anther and back but at a reduced grant all while doing the exact same job.
The WDW cast members, WDW guests, Orange and Osceola taxpayers are just pawns in the game between Disney and DeSantis.
Just expendable pawns..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom