News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

I agree.

Still, the Florida constitution allows counties to taxing units, while the legislature has the power to alter statutes to define the rules governing those special units.

My point is, if it wants to, the Florida legislature can amend current statutes so that Disney pays for benefits that it receives. It does not require (as far as I know) a change to the Florida constitution, just a simple majority bill.
Yes, the legislature could do something like you propose. They could also do something completely different. They could also do nothing. Right now, they have done nothing and are doing nothing.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

How does it marginalize anyone. If a child asks a question the teacher's reply should be 'Ask your parent'. Full stop. Disney is saying parents should not have a voice in what their child is being taught. Why do these things need to be discussed at all for young children? Parents of Florida overwhelmingly approve of this action. Disney executives live in California - do not vote in Florida and should not interfere with what Floridians want. When my children were small they were taught to read and write in the early grades - no mention was made of gender. Why do my grandchildren have to be subjected to subjects they are not mature enough to understand? Disney shopuld have stayed out of the conversation and not proclaimed they would use their resources to overturn the bill. They do NOT know better than the parents of Florida.
I wasn’t there to witness it, but I’m 99.9% sure that gender-related topics absolutely were mentioned in classes when your children were in school.

Castle Cake Apologist

fashion disney GIF

Cute gif.

Why don't you rationalize that position for me? Because I can't for the life of me wrap my head around it.

Brian

Cute gif.

Why don't you rationalize that position for me? Because I can't for the life of me wrap my head around it.
If you can explain to me how it's related to the RCID, I'd be glad to. Otherwise, I'm not going to continue to be baited into some lame political argument.

Castle Cake Apologist

I wasn’t there to witness it, but I’m 99.9% sure that gender-related topics absolutely were mentioned in classes when your children were in school.

Of course they were okay with those discussions, because they only mentioned the "correct" and "normal" genders and relationships. Not that thinking along those lines is a little homophobic. Couldn't be!

Californian Elitist

CRT is the new GOP boogeyman. Most have no idea what it really is and are confused between historical facts and right wing talking points. Kind of like thinking that there is graphic discussions about sex with kindergartners.
Right. Also, CRT is taught in college for certain fields of study, not in K-12. I studied it for my educational counseling Master’s program. Never saw it once in K-12.

Castle Cake Apologist

If you can explain to me how it's related to the RCID, I'd be glad to. Otherwise, I'm not going to continue to be baited into some lame political argument.
Nice try. This conversation literally started from me quoting your post, which had zero to do with the RCID. But tell me more about how I'm baiting you into a lame argument by asking you to clarify statements you've already made. Ridiculous, but pretty much expected.

Californian Elitist

Of course they were okay with those discussions, because they only mentioned the "correct" and "normal" genders and relationships. Not that thinking along those lines is a little homophobic. Couldn't be!
Exactly. Also, a lot of people confuse sex and gender a lot. I spent over an hour explaining what the difference is between the two to my mom just last week. I don’t think she understands. But yeah, we talk about it without even necessarily realizing it.

As long as it’s heterosexual, it’s fine. Gay, not okay!

Brian

Nice try. This conversation literally started from me quoting your post. But tell me more about how I'm baiting you into a lame argument by asking you to clarify your positions. Ridiculous.
I'm happy to admit I took the bait initially by responding to another member. That said, unless you can somehow prove that this issue is related to RCID, I'm not going to engage with you on this matter in this thread, as its wholly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I've been having a great conversation with another member who PMed me to discuss a topic that deviated too far off the rails from RCID. You're welcome to do the same.

Castle Cake Apologist

Exactly. Also, a lot of people confuse sex and gender a lot. I spent over an hour explaining what the difference is between the two to my mom just last week. I don’t think she understands. But yeah, we talk about it without even necessarily realizing it.

As long as it’s heterosexual, it’s fine. Gay, not okay!

How quickly everybody is forgetting that most preschools and kindergartens have playtime involving toy appliances and such where one child is the "mommy" and another is the "daddy" and they practice their heteronormative gender roles under the guise of themed play. When I was in preschool some thirty years ago, only girls were allowed to be the mommy and do the housework and only boys were allowed to be the daddy and "go to work" or mow the lawn or whatever, despite that not matching most of the families I would see around me in the 90s. But I'd love to hear more from some in this thread about how it's the gays indoctrinating children.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It works at MCO, to be fair. If they bring in more money Monday through Saturday than another option can bring in over a full 7 days then it's hard to justify refusing to let them operate. And since San Antonio didn't (to my knowledge) cite any reason other than the founder's beliefs (which I disagree with, to be clear), then it could only be assumed that loss of revenue from not operating on Sundays wasn't a factor in that case.
It works most places. Hershey Park has a Chic-FIL-A and it’s wildly popular there. It’s closed on Sunday but they have so many other options. Not a big deal. MCO has tons of other options so it works there too. I could see it being an issue at a smaller airport or 1 with food stands beyond security at smaller terminals. There was a point in Philly where the terminals not controlled by American/USAir only had a handful of food options. It would have been a problem there.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm happy to admit I took the bait initially by responding to another member. That said, unless you can somehow prove that this issue is related to RCID, I'm not going to engage with you on this matter in this thread, as its wholly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I've been having a great conversation with another member who PMed me to discuss a topic that deviated too far off the rails from RCID. You're welcome to do the same.

I don't know that an entire exchange via PM is really necessary. I was just trying to point out that being called homophobic and being called a child groomer are two wildly different things, and it's laughable to me that anybody would try to draw some sort of comparison between them. Being called sloppy or dirty is also an "affront to your character," but it's hardly comparable to saying you want to take advantage of children.

For one thing, being called homophobic really has no consequences other than being called homophobic. Being accused of grooming children comes with a much different set of consequences, many of then legal.

And I'll say it again, people don't typically label you as homophobic because you're out here being an ally to the queer community.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Creating a new taxing unit for Disney was discussed earlier on this thread.

It would require a simple majority vote from the legislature to amend current statutes.
I‘m sure they could do it, but is anyone considering whether they should? What’s to stop the state of CA from creating a special taxing unit for Tesla since Elon Musk spoke out about something political the governor didn’t like. Or the state of NY creating a special tax on Morgan Stanley because their CEO leans right and they donate to GOP campaigns. This is not the way governments should be run. You don’t punish political opponents by taxing them more. It frightens me that some people seem to be OK with this. It’s bad for the economy and it’s bad for the country.

I think we’re maybe at the point where we need a 3rd party, the center party, for the majority of Americans who aren’t at either extreme.

Californian Elitist

How quickly everybody is forgetting that most preschools and kindergartens have playtime involving toy appliances and such where one child is the "mommy" and another is the "daddy" and they practice their heteronormative gender roles under the guise of themed play. When I was in preschool some thirty years ago, only girls were allowed to be the mommy and do the housework and only boys were allowed to be the daddy and "go to work" or mow the lawn or whatever, despite that not matching most of the families I would see around me in the 90s. But I'd love to hear more from some in this thread about how it's the gays indoctrinating children.
Perfect example of gender. And yes, if anyone is indoctrinating us into these roles, it’s straight people.

We talked about this in another thread on this topic, but I had multiple toy kitchens and tea sets as a kid. To this day, the men in my family are not expected to contribute to large family holiday dinners, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. They not only don’t cook anything, but they don’t help clean up either. And yet, some of them have the nerve to ask when dinner will be ready.🙄

Sorry for veering off topic a bit.

Lilofan

Disney has been involved in FL politics for 50+ years now just like every other major corporation. In the last 2 years alone over 60% of their donations have gone to Republican candidates including most of the bill sponsors and $50K to the Governors re-election campaign. There is a false narrative being painted that Disney is only now getting involved and they shouldn’t. None of these people had a problem cashing the checks when they got their donations.

Should all corporations be banned from political contributions all together? That would have to be passed as a law first and then survive the Supreme Court. Good luck finding enough politicians to vote for that. They almost all take political contributions from corporations and even if you ban direct contributions they would just donate to PACs to avoid the rule.
I would say one of the greatest political events at WDW and Eisner who was there helped pull it off is when Ronald Reagan had his inaugural parade at World Showcase with a parade and fireworks , invited guests on a hot and humid morning in May 1985 I believe.

Disstevefan1

Can, doesn’t mean they will. Or have even put such a bill in the pipeline. Orange and Osceola are blue counties, so they may well not be in any hurry to do so and they may allow that tax bomb to hit for not voting the “right” way.
Totally correct. DeSantis does not care about all Floridians, only the ones in the red counties. DeSantis ever had Orange and Osceola counties so, who cares, dump the RCID tax burden on them.

It's ironic that the folks that live in these counties are not the folks who go to the parks (unless they work there) and must "help" WDW to pay for the debt the left for them.

What stood out to me is that a company as rich as TWDC allowed the debt to happen simply because they could get away with not paying.

Just like they will get away with paying any additional taxes after RCID is gone

Disney AND DeSantis wins again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I‘m sure they could do it, but is anyone considering whether they should? What’s to stop the state of CA from creating a special taxing unit for Tesla since Elon Musk spoke out about something political the governor didn’t like. Or the state of NY creating a special tax on Morgan Stanley because their CEO leans right and they donate to GOP campaigns. This is not the way governments should be run. You don’t punish political opponents by taxing them more. It frightens me that some people seem to be OK with this. It’s bad for the economy and it’s bad for the country.

I think we’re maybe at the point where we need a 3rd party, the center party, for the majority of Americans who aren’t at either extreme.
Morgan Stanley?? Chase bought them about 20 years ago.

You talking about Diamond Jamie?!!

He’s take more sweet blue dem dollars of the years than anyone…similar to the disgraced real estate king of queens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom