Connections Cafe and Eatery

SplashJacket

Only 6 hours of operation seems to be a bit small of a sample size to call it a “massive success across the board”. But what do I know, I’ve only been going to Epcot for 39 years.
At this point, what could make it not a success? No one goes? They make it operate seasonally? They slash the menu?

The design looks gorgeous. The interior nighttime lighting package (I mean where else does this exist?) looks stunning. The food seems scrumptious. The jury is still out on the popularity, but from the guest standpoint, that’s entirely irrelevant. I don’t need this restaurant to be popular for it to be successful to me.

I am not TWDC. I am simply an individual that chooses to vacation at Disney World. They opened something that seems to be phenomenal, can bolster my vacation, capture my intrigue, and place me in a desirable environment.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Only tried the General Tso Chicken Salad as we had plans elsewhere and wasn't expecting the Eatery to be open! It was solid dish. The chicken was crispy and the salad was well dressed, though I thought it could have handled a bit more heat.

Yes!
That salad sounds like something I'd enjoy too. Very glad you got to visit, and try a dish. Thank you for the review!

Fox&Hound

I think there is a lot to like here. I loooooove the mural. It seems kind of tucked away in the back though, or am I incorrect? Seems like it should be been more of a focal point. I like how modern and open it looks but a lot of white. A little too sterile in places. But overall, looks nice.

The Empress Lilly

For: This honestly doesn't look bad. The murals are a nice EPCOT touch. The Progress City floor gets me drooling too, but ultimately is a bit of fan pandering, too self-referential, and without meaning. In fact, if you look out the window you see how EPCOT's center just destroyed its symmetry and concentric circle plan for meandering paths.
Good fonts, good use of the open CommuniCore space, with a sense of place - they understand they are at EPCOT and actually seem to want to be there, rather than portray they are Nathaepcot, as has been the case for so much at EPCOT for decades.

Against:
I still think EPCOT ought to have unique eateries. For a brand spanking new slick designed Starbucks with wide open spaces, complete with coffee around the world mural and pottery, I could just hang out at the departure hall of my local airport then head back home again. Saves me an Orlando ticket.

Secondly, it's great that you look EPCOTy, but outside the window are but its ruins. Replaced by superhero coasters, giant Buzz Lightyear fake topiaries, playgrounds, dj dance parties, drunks, and half of your circular building missing. (Did they not understand that CommuniCore forms a circle? Just look at your own new floor tiles, EPCOT the city and park have always been a circle!)

Last edited:

IMDREW

Different kind of question, does anybody know if those starbucks you are here mugs are still available in the parks? I looked through these videos en photos and didnt see them :/

yensidtlaw1969

Against:
I still think EPCOT ought to have unique eateries. For a brand spanking new slick designed Starbucks with wide open spaces, complete with coffee around the world mural and pottery, I could just hang out at the departure hall of my local airport then head back home again. Saves me an Orlando ticket.
I'm starting to think this place is called "Connections" because it perfectly recreates the experience of grabbing a quick snack in the airport terminal cafeteria before your next flight begins boarding.

The Empress Lilly

I'm starting to think this place is called "Connections" because it perfectly recreates the experience of grabbing a quick snack in the airport terminal cafeteria before your next flight begins boarding.
It does a bit, doesn't it?

But there's a such a difficult line to thread. When this point is brought up, management responds by trying to differentiate from 'can be seen elsewhere' by injecting Disney characters.

The call for non-IP design in WDW results in hotel towers that are a dime a dozen all along the Miami coast, eateries that look like airport departure halls, and shops that could be Apple stores.

But if asked to differentiate, for uniqueness, a Disney difference, we get Toy Story stickers plastered on skyliner cabins and cartoon fish dumped in an aquarium.

It is actually not that easy to do a contemporary look that is still distinctly Disney.

Perhaps a solution is a broad vision of what place you want to be, and to stick with it. EPCOT was always decidedly EPCOT, even if its design was firmly rooted in contemporary format. Maybe we are too harsh about Connections, which actually does seem to make a genuine effort to understand and implement genuine EPCOT design.

The Empress Lilly

FB_IMG_1650619241357.jpg

For your viewing pleasure. The wonder that was this location during EPCOT Center, if I'm correct.

Noteworthy is how much that 1982 sign looks like a 2022 iPhone screen, complete with icons. The 21st century began right here.

Also, if some malificent power had cast a sleeping spell upon EPCOT Center, and it would awaken now just as it was, without any afterwards tinkering, it would be the most gorgeous place on earth. A marvel. Look at those colours, look at those icons. All that light, all that vegetation, the elegance of those lines and forms.

montyz81

View attachment 634727

For your viewing pleasure. The wonder that was this location during EPCOT Center, if I'm correct.

Noteworthy is how much that 1982 sign looks like a 2022 iPhone screen, complete with icons. The 21st century began right here.

Also, if some malificent power had cast a sleeping spell upon EPCOT Center, and it would awaken now just as it was, without any afterwards tinkering, it would be the most gorgeous place on earth. A marvel. Look at those colours, look at those icons. All that light, all that vegetation, the elegance of those lines and forms.
It's more like the 2007 iPhone screen, but yeah.
I miss the tiled breezeway. It felt so tropical walking through there. Now it feels more like walking through a breezeway at an IBM office building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom