Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

celluloid

Technically, both Ice Breaker and Hagrid's have reverse launch sections as does Tigris at Busch Gardens. Admittedly, those are mid-cycle launches - so technically boosters. But it seems that may be the case for Gaurdians too. So, the fourth reverse launch in Florida?
Mummy technically launches in reverse to get you down that dip into the turntable as well, just not as fast. Gringotts would have sideways launches(slowly). And I guess the only one in most places.

Incomudro

Tower of Twrror isn't a freefall. I'm not sure if there is any other drop tower controlled like it is anywhere.

The 4th dimension room was absolutely next level when it opened.

This rides big thing is its the "worlds first backwards launch" which isn't even true, as I'm pretty sure Mr. Freeze has operated backwards some. Not to mention Arrow shuttle loopers, and plenty of others with multiple launches.

Do you think all the CMs are in on a huge surprise that has yet to be revealed?
Technically, ToT is pulled by cables, and not dropped by gravity.
But in essence, it's a free fall - and one in a box - if we are going to over simplify.
And if we're going to do that, what makes any roller coaster that's not even in a box so great?
They're just roller coasters after all.

mergatroid

Technically, ToT is pulled by cables, and not dropped by gravity.
But in essence, it's a free fall - and one in a box - if we are going to over simplify.
And if we're going to do that, what makes any roller coaster that's not even in a box so great?
They're just roller coasters after all.
It's usually called a 'lazy argument'. Similar to those who don't like a particular sport or type of movie will say stuff like "It's just a group of overpaid men kicking a football" or "It's a movie about spacemen and robots fighting". They're either just trying to get a rise from somebody into that particular sport or movie, or they have no strong argument so think simplifying something in that way trumps a far more coherent argument from the person with the better, more reasoned side.

It can be effective to use, but in reality can be used for pretty much anything. Once you realise this, it's laughably ineffective I find and a bit odd.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
You're really comparing the masterpiece that is Tower of Terror to this roller coaster in a box? And essentially the FIRST coaster in the dark.
You haven’t even ridden it yet.

I’d hate to see what this forum would have been like in the 90s when everyone found out they were building a screen-based drop tower ride at MGM and how horribly out of place it would be,…

djkidkaz

Didn’t read all 22 pages of this thread so not sure if anyone cares anymore at this point but I was able to ride it twice so far. The one word I would use to describe it is FUN! While I’m on it I’m smiling ear to ear. It’s not intense or scary at all, but the two elements that really pull it together and put it over the top is the music and the movement of the cars. The vehicle cars don’t spin crazy like your on a tea cup or anything, it’s more like your sitting side ways and whipping around a turn while you listen to Disco Inferno. The whole thing is just fun! To get an idea, think about this for a second…you have a roller coaster that plays a Tears for Fears song. Like if that doesn’t make you laugh, giggle or atleast smirk then I don’t know what will.

The ride that most impressed me and gave me all the feels in my 20+ years of going to Disney was Flight of Passage. Obviously a completely different ride but I wouldn’t say Guardians tops that for me. This is still very rock n roller coaster-esque where your in the dark and then see something and then in the dark and see something else, all synced to music. But the coaster track layout is fun and MUCH longer then RNRC.

One last thing I would add is that this ride is going to be tough for people prone to motion sickness for sure. I can ride every ride at WDW but the turning of the cars and having to look in different directions at what is going on definitely made my stomach a little woozy. But I’m also someone who can’t read a book in a car without feeling nauseous.

Overall, great ride and I think people will love it as long as they can deal with the “spinning” motion for 3 minutes on a coaster.

FUN FUN FUN!

imagineer97

In the Parks
No

I’d hate to see what this forum would have been like in the 90s when everyone found out they were building a screen-based drop tower ride at MGM and how horribly out of place it would be,…
Except Tower of Terror isn't at all out of place. Sunset Boulevard was a new street built to transition into late 1930s Hollywood and culminate with the Hollywood Tower Hotel in the distance. Sure, it's based on an IP, but it's in an IP-based park. The placement of the attraction makes so much sense. Heck, Tower of Terror even fits into the Morocco pavilion over in Epcot (by design)!

You must admit that Guardians is a bit of a stretch for Epcot. That's why they photoshopped young Peter Quill visiting Epcot. That's why they lied about "educational" aspects of this (granted, it could be in the preshow, but I'm not exactly expecting anything that is truly attempting to teach anyone anything about the real world).

Maybe it's the greatest attraction ever, but it should be somewhere else in WDW, like the Studios park that is supposedly devoted to transporting us to the lands of familiar films. Or the park with a land with a whimsical view of space travel and the future (meaning Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland). Epcot's view of space travel and the future was always much more realistic than Tomorrowland's.

yensidtlaw1969

"Screen-Based" is not an accurate description of The Tower of Terror. It features a few screens, but they are nestled sporadically within one of the most physically elaborate environments Disney has ever produced, and in multiple cases are applied in the form of serious illusions. A screen is only ever merely a screen in Tower of Terror when you're being shown the Twilight Zone TV Show in the Library and when leaving the Drop Tower, both of which suit the story and property.

There's no comparison to what's being done in Cosmic Rewind.

Incomudro

It's usually called a 'lazy argument'. Similar to those who don't like a particular sport or type of movie will say stuff like "It's just a group of overpaid men kicking a football" or "It's a movie about spacemen and robots fighting". They're either just trying to get a rise from somebody into that particular sport or movie, or they have no strong argument so think simplifying something in that way trumps a far more coherent argument from the person with the better, more reasoned side.

It can be effective to use, but in reality can be used for pretty much anything. Once you realise this, it's laughably ineffective I find and a bit odd.
I've got to confess to have used the same argument against sports - well, team sports.
I bike ride, lift weights, ride a skateboard, go on hikes, go fishing... But I'll dismiss basketball and golf as putting a ball through a hoop or in a hole.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Didn’t read all 22 pages of this thread so not sure if anyone cares anymore at this point but I was able to ride it twice so far. The one word I would use to describe it is FUN! While I’m on it I’m smiling ear to ear. It’s not intense or scary at all, but the two elements that really pull it together and put it over the top is the music and the movement of the cars. The vehicle cars don’t spin crazy like your on a tea cup or anything, it’s more like your sitting side ways and whipping around a turn while you listen to Disco Inferno. The whole thing is just fun! To get an idea, think about this for a second…you have a roller coaster that plays a Tears for Fears song. Like if that doesn’t make you laugh, giggle or atleast smirk then I don’t know what will.

The ride that most impressed me and gave me all the feels in my 20+ years of going to Disney was Flight of Passage. Obviously a completely different ride but I wouldn’t say Guardians tops that for me. This is still very rock n roller coaster-esque where your in the dark and then see something and then in the dark and see something else, all synced to music. But the coaster track layout is fun and MUCH longer then RNRC.

One last thing I would add is that this ride is going to be tough for people prone to motion sickness for sure. I can ride every ride at WDW but the turning of the cars and having to look in different directions at what is going on definitely made my stomach a little woozy. But I’m also someone who can’t read a book in a car without feeling nauseous.

Overall, great ride and I think people will love it as long as they can deal with the “spinning” motion for 3 minutes on a coaster.

FUN FUN FUN!
Did you get Disco Inferno both times? If you didn’t were there different profiles based on the song?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Except Tower of Terror isn't at all out of place. Sunset Boulevard was a new street built to transition into late 1930s Hollywood and culminate with the Hollywood Tower Hotel in the distance. Sure, it's based on an IP, but it's in an IP-based park. The placement of the attraction makes so much sense. Heck, Tower of Terror even fits into the Morocco pavilion over in Epcot (by design)!

You must admit that Guardians is a bit of a stretch for Epcot. That's why they photoshopped young Peter Quill visiting Epcot. That's why they lied about "educational" aspects of this (granted, it could be in the preshow, but I'm not exactly expecting anything that is truly attempting to teach anyone anything about the real world).

Maybe it's the greatest attraction ever, but it should be somewhere else in WDW, like the Studios park that is supposedly devoted to transporting us to the lands of familiar films. Or the park with a land with a whimsical view of space travel and the future (meaning Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland). Epcot's view of space travel and the future was always much more realistic than Tomorrowland's.
I love EPCOT Center. It’s been my favorite park of all time for as long as I can remember. And I can remember being a small child riding World of Motion and Horizons.

Cosmic Rewind sounds like a blast! And I’m stoked for it. The EPCOT we are going to have in 2023 is miles better than the Epcot we’ve had for the past 15 years.

It’s okay to have fondness for what came before. It’s also okay to be excited for what’s to come.

Fun is also really great.

yensidtlaw1969

I love EPCOT Center. It’s been my favorite park of all time for as long as I can remember. And I can remember being a small child riding World of Motion and Horizons.

Cosmic Rewind sounds like a blast! And I’m stoked for it. The EPCOT we are going to have in 2023 is miles better than the Epcot we’ve had for the past 15 years.

It’s okay to have fondness for what came before. It’s also okay to be excited for what’s to come.

Fun is also really great.
It would also be fun if they put a Ferris Wheel in the hub, right in front of the Castle. I bet a lot of people would be excited for that.

That would obviously be sacrilege of a much higher magnitude than that of Guardians going into EPCOT, but the very nature of a theme park is a place full of fun experiences that fit the theme.

With all the space, time, money, and resources Disney has had access to in trying to right the ship at EPCOT, there's no legitimate reason they cannot provide something that is both lots of fun and in theme.

They just haven't the interest.

mergatroid

Ain't this the norm in this forum for any new attractions anyways - to nitpick and tear it apart before it even opens or disagree with anyone who likes it.
We seem to be at the stage with some posters where 'enjoying' or 'loving a ride' isn't the aim it would appear? Instead it has to tick their own specific boxes otherwise it's classed as a failure.

"Doesn't use animatronics ................. FAILURE"
"People compliment the music .......... FAILURE"
"Disney didn't contact NASA and Space-X to demand they give them new tech to shoe horn into this attraction ......... FAILURE"
"People ride it, love it, post how great it is and that they want to ride it over and over again ......... DEFINITE FAILURE"

:rolleyes:

yensidtlaw1969

We seem to be at the stage with some posters where 'enjoying' or 'loving a ride' isn't the aim it would appear? Instead it has to tick their own specific boxes otherwise it's classed as a failure.

"Doesn't use animatronics ................. FAILURE"
"People compliment the music .......... FAILURE"
"Disney didn't contact NASA and Space-X to demand they give them new tech to shoe horn into this attraction ......... FAILURE"
"People ride it, love it, post how great it is and that they want to ride it over and over again ......... DEFINITE FAILURE"

:rolleyes:
Have you ever heard of "making up things to complain about"?

Because, I hate to tell you this . . .

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
It would also be fun if they put a Ferris Wheel in the hub, right in front of the Castle. I bet a lot of people would be excited for that.

That would obviously be sacrilege of a much higher magnitude than that of Guardians going into EPCOT, but the very nature of a theme park is a place full of fun experiences that fit the theme.

With all the space, time, money, and resources Disney has had access to in trying to right the ship at EPCOT, there's no legitimate reason they cannot provide something that is both lots of fun and in theme.

They just haven't the interest.
Except it fits perfectly in World Discovery.

yensidtlaw1969

Except it fits perfectly in World Discovery.
Only because they changed Future World (partially) into World Discovery so they could build this. A change which, outside of adding Guardians, is so far a change in name only. It's lip service paid solely so they could disregard what the park was actually about.

Changing the theme of a land really isn't commendable when the land you're replacing had a better and more legitimate theme than the new one. World Discovery is such a non-thing - it's merely an excuse to include IP that didn't fit before. You know they could have built a killer, in-theme roller coaster in Future World as it was . . . but that wasn't what they wanted. They wanted to build one using a big name brand. And if the big name brand didn't fit in Future World, then to hell with Future World. Which is the antithesis of a Theme Park ethos.

If you swapped out every projected element in Cosmic Rewind for one that fit Future World's theme and left the rest of the ride as-is, you'd still have a monstrously successful attraction. It could have been a proper Future World attraction - and probably would have saved some big bucks on the fees of those A-List actors they filmed. But the vested interest is in leveraging existing properties regardless of the park's theme. We're seeing this all over and Guardians really isn't any different in this regard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom