News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GSP Guy

It’s hard not to be political in a thread that has a political title, but I stopped commenting this morning after the warnings were doled out because I wouldn’t want to be banned from a thread that I’m not allowed to comment on in the first place. 🙄
Personally I have no problem with the political banter. I have stayed out of the whole conversation. Just lurking and reading. But if only one political side were to be removed that would be a microcosm of what's wrong with the world today. My two cents.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Unless you happen to own some of the bonds, there is a >99% chance that it will not affect you at all.

As an aside, the RCID issued a statement on EMMA that the legislation allows them to re-form the district under a different law, and the new district will assume the obligations of the old district. Since the RCID has a responsibility to its bondholders, my guess is that all you will see is the district changed to a CDD. It will do all of the same things except for zoning changes (I think) and Orange/Osceola counties will rubber stamp those changes (see Universal/Sea World).

Full statement:

What is EMMA?

Sir_Cliff

I do. I think this is good policy enacted for cynical political purposes.
You don't have a problem with even "good policy" being used to retaliate against companies or individuals for expressing their opinion?

Beyond that, do you have confidence considering how quickly this was passed that those responsible for the legislation have studied all the implications of this move such that they (and you) can be confident that it is good policy?

DisneyNittany

I question how deep our democracy runs when a governor is blatantly violating the 1st amendment and his supporters are cheering him on. “Democracy for me but not for thee.”
To be fair, nothing about democracy guarantees free speech. Democracy is just two wolves and a sheep deciding what’s for dinner.

We’re a constitutional republic, bound to the laws of the Constitution, which guarantees us the right to speak out freely against the government, without fear of punishment from said government.

Disstevefan1

I can spell out those 'big tax benefits' for you if you wish? I live in Orlando & work in finance. The tax breaks are nearly a $1b from the state - I can get you all the documents you want if you wish. It's all public info. Pretty easy to find if you know where to look.

The parks devision is gonna be sold off in the not too distant future. Keep watching. Money talks, BS walks. Disney has now become 'persona non grata' in the state of FL.
@Jlasoon I have an honest and sincere question.
Will a home owner in Osceola county property taxes go up as a direct result of the removal of RCID?
If yes, how significant would it be?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I question why the moderation in this thread needs to be so heavy-handed. It’s difficult to discuss this particular political event without context, yet discussion of the context is banned.
Because based on a lot of experience, these thread turn into a complete disaster very quickly with insults flying left, right and center. People get offended, and it just turns what should be a fun and informative site about Disney into a mess.

sullyinMT

I'm sympathetic to all of this. My argument isn't so much a defense of what the Florida legislature is doing in 2022, it's more of a criticism if what the Florida legislature did in 1967. The state shouldn't revoke special benefits because they're unfriendly with a company? Fine. Then they shouldn't have granted the special benefits when they were friendly with the company in the first place.
If that’s the argument to dissolve RCID and reassess all special district after “x” timeframe, then fine. That’s an argument for sound minds on either side of the aisle.

The pretense, or lack thereof, that drove this whiplash special session extension is the same kind of “cancel” move conservatives have spent the last few years screaming about. Just with the power of government behind it, which is a different kind of “woke mob” than a bunch of social media influencer types and TV pundits.

Hopefully over the next year until this takes affect cooler heads prevail. That’s not the path our society has been on, though.

CaptainAmerica

You don't have a problem with even "good policy" being used to retaliate against companies or individuals for expressing their opinion?
Correct. I think the vast majority of politicians are incapable of acting in good faith, so I'll take good policy for bad reasons over bad policy for bad reasons. I don't think good policy for good reasons is a viable option.

Beyond that, do you have confidence considering how quickly this was passed that those responsible for the legislation have studied all the implications of this move such that they (and you) can be confident that it is good policy?
I do not. But I wouldn't have any more confidence in their judgment if they had taken three years to study the matter.

JoeCamel

This is what Disney gets for not minding it's own business. You want to stop being a business and stick your nose in polictics, well WELCOME TO THE CONSEQUENCES OF POLITICS MICKEY!
If all business did that legislators would starve. The way it works is the business pays people to "lobby" spread money around in the halls of power. Either way you play if you look at past donations they are pretty evenly split. This is a petty squabble without basis because of arrogance

Sir_Cliff

Correct. I think the vast majority of politicians are incapable of acting in good faith, so I'll take good policy for bad reasons over bad policy for bad reasons. I don't think good policy for good reasons is a viable option.

I do not. But I wouldn't have any more confidence in their judgment if they had taken three years to study the matter.
I have to say that this is a very nihilistic view of the world that seems to justify a "whatever it takes" approach to politics involving all sorts of circumventing of democratic norms as long as you arrive at the "correct" outcome.

JoeCamel

If that’s the argument to dissolve RCID and reassess all special district after “x” timeframe, then fine. That’s an argument for sound minds on either side of the aisle.

The pretense, or lack thereof, that drove this whiplash special session extension is the same kind of “cancel” move conservatives have spent the last few years screaming about. Just with the power of government behind it, which is a different kind of “woke mob” than a bunch of social media influencer types and TV pundits.

Hopefully over the next year until this takes affect cooler heads prevail. That’s not the path our society has been on, though.
Remember this nonsense is at the expense of time they were supposed to work on the ongoing insurance problems in the state. I guess that nut is too hard to crack so they take RCID to task. Glad I moved out....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom