Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotofx

And just like that, Disney's planned offices in Lake Nona get moved back to California (or elsewhere), and the State of Florida realizes that Disney's attorneys are better than theirs and outnumber them.

Because why not.
I don't agree, Disney like any other company wants to make money. It is getting too expensive (and restrictive) to make money in California. I think it is a tightrope for Disney that they probably should be sitting on the sidelines watching.

I like probably many of you, am a Disney shareholder. I want Disney to focus on entertainment, not politics.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I don't agree, Disney like any other company wants to make money. It is getting too expensive (and restrictive) to make money in California. I think it is a tightrope for Disney that they probably should be sitting on the sidelines watching.

I like probably many of you, am a Disney shareholder. I want Disney to focus on entertainment, not politics.
Eliminate the special deal that Florida gets, then Florida's not any more special than anywhere else.

Maybe they won't go back to California, but what's to stop them from moving those roles to Virginia or North Carolina, which don't have Florida's political baggage, while being considered more pro-business than Florida (by a lot).

wdw71fan

Lots of kids have two dads or 4 moms that aren’t gay too… household and family complexities are not the exclusive domain of same sex couples. So I don’t see how the two things have anything to do with this.

People say they want business to stop influencing governmental decisions through lobbyists and campaign contributions.. yet they are asking Disney to do just that?

Hypocritical if you ask me. But Disney is stuck here, it’s a catch 22 for them

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Lots of kids have two dads or 4 moms that aren’t gay too… household and family complexities are not the exclusive domain of same sex couples. So I don’t see how the two things have anything to do with this.

People say they want business to stop influencing governmental decisions through lobbyists and campaign contributions.. yet they are asking Disney to do just that?

Hypocritical if you ask me. But Disney is stuck here, it’s a catch 22 for them
Wade into the water. Get bit by sharks.

Sam Magic

Eliminate the special deal that Florida gets, then Florida's not any more special than anywhere else.

Maybe they won't go back to California, but what's to stop them from moving those roles to Virginia or North Carolina, which don't have Florida's political baggage, while being considered more pro-business than Florida (by a lot).
Weren't all the jobs Imagineering jobs? It doesn't make sense to move Imagineers to a state that does not have Disney Parks.

Mr. Moderate

I think we all can agree we want our teachers instructing our kids properly, on the subjects we need them taught. We don’t want them sharing their politics, we don’t want them sharing their religion, and we want all of these discussions if they come up to be treated appropriately based on the age of the children.

But again, I believe this is already the case. There may be a few teachers who have gone rogue, but I don’t see why this bill would be necessary to address it. That’s what makes the bill more suspect.

It only targets a specific sector of people, which says more the enough about its true intent.
I have to say throughout this discussion, the bolded part is something I can agree with and your post is most reasonable. Which is what I wish more in the social media bubble that exists in this country, would do.

TP2000

I just saw this tonight. I'm putting it here, because it's Governor DeSantis and Tucker Carlson discussing Bob Chapek and specifically Disney's corporate response to this legislation and signing into law the last few days.

Before some of you refuse to watch it because it's Evil Tucker Carlson and Ron DeSantis, King Of The Deplorables, just know that Tucker is the most watched show (both in total viewers, and in advertiser's coveted 25-54 year old age range viewers) on the most watched cable news network in the country. Millions of middle class Americans across the country saw this exchange tonight, even if you didn't. So it's worth watching and contemplating as an alternate point of view.

February, 2022 Cable TV News Ratings Per Night
Fox News Tucker Carlson Tonight at 8PM = 3,620,000 Viewers
MSNBC All In With Chris Hayes at 8PM = 1,300,000 Viewers
CNN Anderson Cooper 360 at 8PM = 871,000 Viewers

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I just saw this tonight. I'm putting it here, because it's Governor DeSantis and Tucker Carlson discussing Bob Chapek and specifically Disney's corporate response to this legislation and signing into law the last few days.

Before some of you refuse to watch it because it's Evil Tucker Carlson and Ron DeSantis, King Of The Deplorables, just know that Tucker is the most watched show (both in total viewers, and in advertiser's coveted 25-54 year old age range viewers) on the most watched cable news network in the country. Millions of middle class Americans across the country saw this exchange tonight, even if you didn't. So it's worth watching and contemplating as an alternate point of view.

February, 2022 Cable TV News Ratings Per Night
Fox News Tucker Carlson Tonight at 8PM = 3,620,000 Viewers
MSNBC All In With Chris Hayes at 8PM = 1,300,000 Viewers
CNN Anderson Cooper 360 at 8PM = 871,000 Viewers

I think you broke this woke.

DisneyHead123

I wonder if Disney anticipated this story blowing up in conservative media the way it has, or if this caught them by surprise? I wouldn’t necessarily have expected this to be a big story in right wing media but things have been shifting fast recently. (I think there is a really interesting analysis behind this shift but I gather additional analysis is considered political in this thread, so I’ll leave it at that.)

From here it will be interesting to see if Disney gets more emphatic about their stance or drops the topic and quietly moves on. I’m 50/50 on which way they’ll go.

GimpYancIent

The thing is...it's not an alternate point of view. It's flat-out propaganda that's been made up to keep people angry and afraid because Carlson needs the ratings and DeSantis wants the presidency. (Yes, I watched it. Tucker's facial expressions couldn't look more rehearsed if his life depended on it.)

LAW EXPERTS have called out the bill for the same reasons people in this thread oppose it.

ETA: Further...the news outlets you listed are among the worst. All three have "mixed" factuality ratings, with FOX being the only one with the honor of being labeled "questionable" because it pushes conspiracy theories.
Fake News / spin and noise. Stop already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom