Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy_UK

So how exactly would that go? “ Hi Johnny. Can you give this to your parents?” “Hey Sally, do your parents help you with your homework?” I dont see how parental dynamics would be introduced.
My sons school openly say 'Can you give this to your dad or daddy?' or 'Is it dad or daddy picking you up from school today'

It really isn't a big issue and from what I can tell so far, isn't turning my 6 year old son Gay ;)

lazyboy97o

So how exactly would that go? “ Hi Johnny. Can you give this to your parents?” “Hey Sally, do your parents help you with your homework?” I dont see how parental dynamics would be introduced.
Kids do things like show and tell. “These are my Mickey Ears. I got them when my dads took me to Disney World.”

Kids also learn that different people care for kids. Some have a mom and dad. Some just have a mom. Some are cared for by their grandparents.

Vegas Disney Fan

It will when a child has parents that are of the same sex like my son does.
I still don’t get this though, I’ve explained two dads to my nieces and nephews on a couple occasions without getting into sexuality, a simple some men like men got the job done, when they asked why I just said that’s just how they are, we’re all attracted to different people for different reasons. I didn’t have to get into a deep debate about sexuality or gender to explain why. I’ve seen nothing in this bill that would prevent that.

lazyboy97o

I still don’t get this though, I’ve explained two dads to my nieces and nephews on a couple occasions without getting into sexuality, a simple some men like men got the job done, when they asked why I just said that’s just how they are, we’re all attracted to different people for different reasons. I didn’t have to get into a deep debate about sexuality or gender to explain why. I’ve seen nothing in this bill that would prevent that.
There are those who consider that too much. That right there is indoctrination and celebration. This isn’t about what most people would consider reasonable.

Indy_UK

In terms of how you have discussed it to your family, that makes total sense. You explain what's age appropriate.

In a school environment it sounds like this bill makes it taboo to even mention?

BigFoot

I'm not sure why Disney is involved in this discussion at all. Disney's purpose is to provide products and services that people want to consume, not take moral stands one way or the other. You wouldn't ask your local church to build a car or the boy scouts to create legislation. That's not the purpose of those organizations. The best thing they could do is stay in their lane. Yes, someone will have a Twitter fit because they aren't openly "on my side" but people were going to have a Twitter fit anyway. Why give them ammo over an issue which you weren't created or designed to address?

EricsBiscuit

I'm not sure why Disney is involved in this discussion at all. Disney's purpose is to provide products and services that people want to consume, not take moral stands one way or the other. You wouldn't ask your local church to build a car or the boy scouts to create legislation. That's not the purpose of those organizations. The best thing they could do is stay in their lane. Yes, someone will have a Twitter fit because they aren't openly "on my side" but people were going to have a Twitter fit anyway. Why give them ammo over an issue which you weren't created or designed to address?
Agreed

Artemicon

In terms of how you have discussed it to your family, that makes total sense. You explain what's age appropriate.

In a school environment it sounds like this bill makes it taboo to even mention?
The text of the bill prohibits any at all classroom instruction of "sexual orientation and gender identity" through the grades of k-3, so by the very essence of the language used in the bill it also prohibits heterosexuality from being instructed, after grades k-3 there is nothing in the bill specifically that stops any instruction of sexual orientation or gender identity other than it must be "age appropriate" and that conforms to guidelines already set in place in Flordia, which do not prohibit sexual orientation or gender identity.

97 3. Classroom instruction by school personnel or third
98 parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur
99 in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age
100 appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in
101 accordance with state standards.

The language used in the bill isn't a target of LGBTQ+ individuals, and even if a supporter of the bill is anti-LGBTQ+, their opinion has no influence on the law. The same securities that are in place for non-LGBTQ+ individuals exist for them as well.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
What would the legal challenge be?

Despite the media name the bill doesn’t actually single out gay or trans specifically so as written it applies the restriction of sex and gender instruction to everyone, straight, gay, born, or tran.

This, from the sponsor of the bill, Senator Dennis Baxley, during floor debate on the bill itself...

"Why is everybody now all about coming out when you’re in school?’” Baxley told his fellow senators. “And there really is a dynamic of concern of how much of this are genuine-type of experiences and how many of them are just kids trying on different kinds of things.” "So my question is, simply, are we encouraging this or eliminating it by putting emphasis on it?" Baxley thought it was appropriate to legislate against his discomfort with what he called a “real trend change” in society.

Artemicon

This, from the sponsor of the bill, Senator Dennis Baxley, during floor debate on the bill itself...

"Why is everybody now all about coming out when you’re in school?’” Baxley told his fellow senators. “And there really is a dynamic of concern of how much of this are genuine-type of experiences and how many of them are just kids trying on different kinds of things.” "So my question is, simply, are we encouraging this or eliminating it by putting emphasis on it?" Baxley thought it was appropriate to legislate against his discomfort with what he called a “real trend change” in society.
What does this mean in regards to the bill? The bill stops all forms of sexual orientation and gender identity instruction, not just those who are non-hetero.

Focusing on this seems disingenuous when the legislation doesn't.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Kids do things like show and tell. “These are my Mickey Ears. I got them when my dads took me to Disney World.”

Kids also learn that different people care for kids. Some have a mom and dad. Some just have a mom. Some are cared for by their grandparents.
Right. I dont believe the law addresses what kids say in class. Just what the teachers say.

LAKid53

Premium Member
What does this mean in regards to the bill? The bill stops all forms of sexual orientation and gender identity instruction, not just those who are non-hetero.

Focusing on this seems disingenuous when the legislation doesn't.

Dennis Baxley sponsored the bill. His comments during floor discussions and voting gives you insight into the rationale of the legislation. Bill language is intentionally vague for a reason. When we needed clarification on a piece of legislation when performing a bill analysis, we always looked to committee testimony and floor discussion as the bill moved from committee to the House/Senate chambers and then to a vote yay or nay in each chamber. Baxley has been in the FL Legislature a long time. I've reviewed other legislation he's drafted/sponsored. I take him at his word.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The issue for many is this language in 1001.42(8)(c)(3), F.S.

"...or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

There are no such state standards in Florida Statute. Florida law does not prohibit the discussion of drugs, suicide, or any other topic in grades K-12. Other than what 1001.42(8)(c)(3) now prohibits.

Artemicon

The issue for many is this language in 1001.42(8)(c)(3), F.S.

"...or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

There are no such state standards in Florida Statute. Florida law does not prohibit the discussion of drugs, suicide, or any other topic in grades K-12. Other than what 1001.42(8)(c)(3) now prohibits.
Correct, there weren't standards set before the bill passed, and there aren't any now (pertaining specifically to sexual-orientation and gender identity, while there are for sexual education in a general sense). Florida bill 1557 doesn't change this at all and that language doesn't change anything in relation because there are no standards.

If anything maybe this bill would push Florida School board to define more inclusive rules for age appropriate sexual education including those topics, which would be a good thing to include in the standard. If it doesn't, then we're back to where we were before the bill.
Dennis Baxley sponsored the bill. His comments during floor discussions and voting gives you insight into the rationale of the legislation. Bill language is intentionally vague for a reason. When we needed clarification on a piece of legislation when performing a bill analysis, we always looked to committee testimony and floor discussion as the bill moved from committee to the House/Senate chambers and then to a vote yay or nay in each chamber. Baxley has been in the FL Legislature a long time. I've reviewed other legislation he's drafted/sponsored. I take him at his word.
Sure, but the law is the law and the only people who can interpret this law are the judges. It matters not what a persons opinions are if they don't make it into the final bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom