Rumor Hollywood insiders say there's growing tension at Disney as CEO Bob Chapek chafes at Bob Iger's 'long goodbye'

doctornick

You don't think Guardians and Tron are going to give them a very long runway? They coasted on Mine Train for five years.
Plus some smaller stuff in Play and JoW will open. Probably get something like a RoL replacement in 2023/24 as well. Then they’ll coast to 2025 which will probably be when the next “big” thing opens after currently announced stuff.

Sir_Cliff

If it doesn't work out, they can always go back to offering cheap discounted admission, and fill the parks up to whatever hte market will bear. The experience might be less, but if the audience really wants to prioritize cheap entry over experience, then Disney can change back and cater to them.
I understand that this is the logic behind the current pricing and reservations model and accept it to some extent. The main problem is that Disney seems to be wanting to have its cake and eat it too by raising prices and barriers to entry while chipping away at the experience as much as possible. So, costs and all the hoops you have to go through to visit the parks all increase but things like DME disappear, the park crawls to bring back basic services like parking lot trams, the attractions are left to run with clear maintenance issues and they do things like the Splash refurbishment where they re-paint about a third of the mountain and the leaves in the briar patch, then just shrug and open it with the exterior looking like a bit of a mess and the figures inside still not working properly.

To me it's the conflicting signals that Disney is sending that are the real problem. If people keep showing up, then I can't really blame them for trying to figure out what the market will bear and using that to control attendance while maintaining high standards. Combing the price rises with nickel and dimeing those who show up and cutting costs on things like upkeep risks trashing the brand in the longer term and I think explains the growing ill-will the parks in particular are generating that is spilling into media coverage.

It's interesting to compare management at Disneyland Paris, where prices are also fairly steep and they have introduced their own version of paid Fastpass recently. However, management there has spent a lot of time and energy in raising the level of the experience through attraction and other refurbishments (including the castle) as well as new attractions. Despite being closed for longer, the pandemic also didn't seem to slow them down or derail their plans as much as was the case in Florida. What they seem to understand in Paris is that Disney needs to provide the premium experience that justifies the premium prices. In Florida they seem too obvious in just trying to hold guests upside down and shake them until their pockets are empty.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Plus some smaller stuff in Play and JoW will open. Probably get something like a RoL replacement in 2023/24 as well. Then they’ll coast to 2025 which will probably be when the next “big” thing opens after currently announced stuff.
You’re saying a “big” thing will open in wdw in 2025??

Where is it under construction already? Did bioreconstruct miss it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand that this is the logic behind the current pricing and reservations model and accept it to some extent. The main problem is that Disney seems to be wanting to have its cake and eat it too by raising prices and barriers to entry while chipping away at the experience as much as possible. So, costs and all the hoops you have to go through to visit the parks all increase but things like DME disappear, the park crawls to bring back basic services like parking lot trams, the attractions are left to run with clear maintenance issues and they do things like the Splash refurbishment where they re-paint about a third of the mountain and the leaves in the briar patch, then just shrug and open it with the exterior looking like a bit of a mess and the figures inside still not working properly.

To me it's the conflicting signals that Disney is sending that are the real problem. If people keep showing up, then I can't really blame them for trying to figure out what the market will bear and using that to control attendance while maintaining high standards. Combing the price rises with nickel and dimeing those who show up and cutting costs on things like upkeep risks trashing the brand in the longer term and I think explains the growing ill-will the parks in particular are generating that is spilling into media coverage.

It's interesting to compare management at Disneyland Paris, where prices are also fairly steep and they have introduced their own version of paid Fastpass recently. However, management there has spent a lot of time and energy in raising the level of the experience through attraction and other refurbishments (including the castle) as well as new attractions. Despite being closed for longer, the pandemic also didn't seem to slow them down or derail their plans as much as was the case in Florida. What they seem to understand in Paris is that Disney needs to provide the premium experience that justifies the premium prices. In Florida they seem too obvious in just trying to hold guests upside down and shake them until their pockets are empty.
Yeah…you can’t push “expensive and exclusive” for 20+ years and then after people decide it’s a ripoff, say “nevermind! We’re cheap and accessible with this here coupon…” the next day.

There are limits to even Disney’s power.

TikibirdLand

Yeah…you can’t push “expensive and exclusive” for 20+ years and then after people decide it’s a ripoff, say “nevermind! We’re cheap and accessible with this here coupon…” the next day.

There are limits to even Disney’s power.
I know there's a tipping point. I hope to be around when they finally find it. Sears, Kodak, Montgomery Ward, JCPenney, even RadioShack hit it and failed. Will Disney really ever do the same?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know there's a tipping point. I hope to be around when they finally find it. Sears, Kodak, Montgomery Ward, JCPenney, even RadioShack hit it and failed. Will Disney really ever do the same?
They’re more insulated because those examples were fundamental market shifts…

A better example is GE…which few people realize is all but gone (vastly reduced…If I’m more accurate) due to a management philosophy that killed them for “more yield”

Last edited:

UNCgolf

They’re more insulated because those examples were fundamental market shifts…

A better example is GE…which few people realize is all but gone (vastly reduced…If I’m more accurate) due to a management philosophy that killed them for “more yield”

Sears was an example of horrible management, considering they already had a lot of the necessary infrastructure to be Amazon well before Amazon could have things off the ground, but it's still a different thing.

Especially since the theme parks are only one segment of Disney. They make a lot of money, but they aren't the company.

the.dreamfinder

Dan Cockerell if he didn't retire from WDW at an early age and move into private consulting would have moved up the food chain. Perhaps for some the grass is greener on the other side.
People like Dan’s father, Lee Cockerell, laid the foundation for the dumbing down of WDW and the playbook people like D’Amaro use to get cast/fans to think he cares.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Difference of opinion for some , how ironic , great at their jobs, liked by others , terrible legacies🙄
1648073092891.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People like Dan’s father, Lee Cockerell, laid the foundation for the dumbing down of WDW and the playbook people like D’Amaro use to get cast/fans to think he cares.

Very curious for you to expand on this out of genuine interest
Yeah…I didn’t say it when you mentioned Dan the other day…

But I’m not a fan of Lee…he had a long history of coming off as disingenuous…and didn’t steer the management in the right direction.

Opinions vary, however. Still probably better than skinny pants

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom