Rumor Hollywood insiders say there's growing tension at Disney as CEO Bob Chapek chafes at Bob Iger's 'long goodbye'

el_super

And yet, when it was Pressler, Chapek, pick your villain, it was completely known.

Funny how that works.

It wasn't really then either. People just wanted to fall into the trope of having a villain to blame. Point at Chapek and say he's the problem, then you get to sleep easy at night thinking that if Chapek gets replaced, everything will be fine.

It won't be. The board will always pick someone like Chapek to run the company, and the shareholders will always pick board members that will make the same exact decisions.

Maybe at the end of it, you can just blame the shareholders for wanting to retire. Even that solution though, ignores the demands of the customers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It wasn't really then either. People just wanted to fall into the trope of having a villain to blame. Point at Chapek and say he's the problem, then you get to sleep easy at night thinking that if Chapek gets replaced, everything will be fine.

It won't be. The board will always pick someone like Chapek to run the company, and the shareholders will always pick board members that will make the same exact decisions.

Maybe at the end of it, you can just blame the shareholders for wanting to retire. Even that solution though, ignores the demands of the customers.
The “villains” are the last two CEOs…the underlings have no power.

As time goes on…this will become more evident. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:

Brer Oswald

Maybe today, but 5 to 10 years from now, Disney could still be producing IP where Universal will still be seeking to buy. Lack of IP is not a problem for Disney.
Aside from princess movies, what new successful IP are they creating? Universal may be making more partnerships than they are creating in house, but it’s given them far greater variety than what Disney offers. With Disney, it’s 5 core brands, all of which are cinematic offerings targeted at the 14 and under crowd.

el_super

Aside from princess movies, what new successful IP are they creating?

I don't know, they seem to be doing alright with super hero movies, and of course space franchise is still pretty popular.

The broader point though is that Disney is still creating, and creating a LOT. Even if nothing new hits it off in the next 5 to 10 years, there is still a HUGE back catalogue to be utilized.

And what's wrong with princess movies?

wdwfan4ver

Disney certainly can change their quality output. But reputation is not something that “turns on a dime”. It takes time to change.

And if they want to fight “IP Wars”, they are surely going to lose. Universal just has access to more of the most popular media franchises, and this is going to become clear 5 to 10 years into the run of Epic Universe. Part of the reason is that Disney is reluctant to even touch an ever growing entertainment medium (video games) that Universal is now openly embracing. If they wait to long, and Uni keeps scooping up the franchises, how will they compete?
Disney has another issue with Universal long term. Universal after Epic Universe has enough space to do a 4th park if they want to. That park can be up to 100 acres. I also read Universal is planning to move the offices of the first parks to that 750 acres of land to get more room for attractions for the first 2 parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know, they seem to be doing alright with super hero movies, and of course space franchise is still pretty popular.

The broader point though is that Disney is still creating, and creating a LOT. Even if nothing new hits it off in the next 5 to 10 years, there is still a HUGE back catalogue to be utilized.

I think the point was new material…which was always tough.

They’ve cranked out about 30 MCU movies at this point and the “other” franchise has been mostly train wreck…

Couple that wish live action remakes and Pixar sequels and the creative juices might already be wine at this point.

They have strong IP…but the danger in repetition is real.

Hollywood writers have written about the developing need for adult entertainment to bridge the marketplace again…

And by “again”…it’s exactly what Disney had to do in 1985 when they started the “adult” movie studios.

Everyone stoked for the live action Bambi?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has another issue with Universal long term. Universal after Epic Universe has enough space to do a 4th park if they want to. That park can be up to 100 acres. I also read Universal is planning to move the offices of the first parks to that 750 acres of land to get more room for attractions for the first 2 parks.
I’d be shocked if universal does a 4th amusement gate. I think they’ll learn from the template and focus back on IOA and USO afterward.

But that’s good too…they will likely move as much storage as they can to the new property and have sorely needed development space.

FigmentJedi

The Princess Industrial Complex and its needs keeps Disney Animation from making more movies in the genres that all the popular "rides that had nothing to do with pre-existing movies" are. Imagineering's basically been banking on the overlap of "Park Nerds" and "Atlantis/Tarzan/Treasure Planet fans" to get more attention put onto their Society of Explorers and Adventurers lore outside the park bubble.

Brer Oswald

New IP. As in, not something that was created already. They fit within the 5 core franchises that Disney (over)relies on: Marvel, Star Wars, Princesses, Core Pixar, and Mickey. Two of those are action blockbusters. Two of those are formulaic kids movies. And then there’s Mickey. Not a ton of variety in terms of content and targeted audience.

el_super

They’ve cranked out about 30 MCU movies at this point and the “other” franchise has been mostly train wreck…

They don't really get to choose which ones turn into hits and which ones flop. If they knew for sure how to produce nothing but hits, they would.

The key point though is that they are still creating. 33 billion dollars worth this year right? The more you create the more chance something will hit it big with the audience.

The Princess Industrial Complex and its needs keeps Disney Animation from making more movies in the genres that all the popular "rides that had nothing to do with pre-existing movies" are. Imagineering's basically been banking on the overlap of "Park Nerds" and "Atlantis/Tarzan/Treasure Planet fans" to get more attention put onto their Society of Explorers and Adventurers lore outside the park bubble.

The park product isn't solely focused on princesses though. We've just recently had attractions based on Spiderman, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Tron (lol from 1982), Ratatouille, Toy Story, Mickey Mouse, Star Wars and even Zootopia in the works.

They didn't get to decide that Frozen would be a cultural phenomenon that would transcend all cultural boundaries.

And that’s not good.

Which means an eventually sale…possibly a breakup. Only a matter of time.

It will be good enough and they will be fine. I wasn't even really ready to write off Chapek until this whole PR disaster he imagineered in the last week. Most of the decisions made during his tenure haven't been pretty, but a case could be made that they were absoultely necessary.

Brer Oswald

I don’t think they will do a 4th traditional park. But 3 fully loaded parks is more than enough to topple Disney’s one solid park and 3 half dayers.

el_super

New IP. As in, not something that was created already. They fit within the 5 core franchises that Disney (over)relies on: Marvel, Star Wars, Princesses, Core Pixar, and Mickey. Two of those are action blockbusters. Two of those are formulaic kids movies. And then there’s Mickey. Not a ton of variety in terms of content and targeted audience.

That's still a pretty big variety for Disney. And more to the point: their family friend IP draws a bigger demographic than what Universal currently can do. Universal has always skewed toward the teenage/action set because that was the market that Disney didn't pay attention to, and it was easy for Universal to pick up. Disney's core children/family market though, is far bigger than what Universal is pulling. Hard to convince families to come out for the Fast and the Furious or Velocicoaster.

TikibirdLand

If you really think either Bob or Josh care about "the fifth key", I think you'll want to study The D's past. They've certainly had plenty of time to invest using other keys. It's what brings in the guests -- only. I doubt there's much any of us pontificate here can change that nor their trajectory. But, I'll watch the stock price to see if I'm wrong there. We'll chat more about this when their stock value gets below $125...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox&Hound

Disney certainly can change their quality output. But reputation is not something that “turns on a dime”. It takes time to change.

And if they want to fight “IP Wars”, they are surely going to lose. Universal just has access to more of the most popular media franchises, and this is going to become clear 5 to 10 years into the run of Epic Universe. Part of the reason is that Disney is reluctant to even touch an ever growing entertainment medium (video games) that Universal is now openly embracing. If they wait to long, and Uni keeps scooping up the franchises, how will they compete?

There is no way you are serious. You are claiming that 'Universal has access to more of the most popular media franchises? Over Disney? Hahahha okay...Not trying to be mean, but do you seriously believe this?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is no way you are serious. You are claiming that 'Universal has access to more of the most popular media franchises? Over Disney? Hahahha okay...Not trying to be mean, but do you seriously believe this?
I disagree that universal content has more potential than Disney’s…

But they have one of Disney’s best held hostage in perpetuity and they procured the best amusement park IP in Orlando…their Nintendo builds are gonna be a major hit also.

It’s not as big of a gap as you think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom