Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midwest Elitist

Ugh, this whole "grooming" talking point is so damn boring. Did it get uploaded into the Fox News hivemind? I'm hearing it literally everywhere. WORD FOR WORD.

Like... it doesn't even make sense. How does not talking about gender stop grooming? All I've heard from the usual suspects in my (garbage) political community is that it stops Trans / Gay from grooming kids. How?

And yes, there has always been an assumption from [REDACTED] political group that the LGBT grooms kids. Does anyone not remember the San Francisco Gay Choir song which was literally just sarcasm, made to make fun of those who would attack it?

The main problem I have with laws like this is that sex can be an "icky" topic (especially for those terminally religious), but educating even young kids (I don't know, 4th grade? Simpler explanations earlier?) has the effect of reducing pregnancy. This bill does the opposite...

Actually, I take that back. This bill is literally bait, for those who believe all of the above.

TP2000

No.

I bet there are plenty of incidents throughout history similar to this, with even worse outcomes.

Nothing new.

The point is that in academia today there is a growing movement to suppress free speech, like these Yale students just tried to do. It's weird and seems anti-education, but somehow in their little minds it makes sense that they not be exposed to differing opinions or thoughts in college. How a place like Yale allowed itself to devolve to that is just bizarre.

GladToBeHear

The point is that in academia today there is a growing movement to suppress free speech, like these Yale students just tried to do. It's weird and seems anti-education, but somehow in their little minds it makes sense that they not be exposed to differing opinions or thoughts in college. How a place like Yale allowed itself to devolve to that is just bizarre.
And that these are future lawyers/lawmakers.

Californian Elitist

You originally said that 21st century folks invented banning people from society and limiting free speech in the case of disagreeing with others, which I countered.

I’m sure I could find some example of this happening before the 20th century as well.

lewisc

Disney wants to put meaning behind posts. Work out a way to either delay shift to Lake Nona campus or come up with a plan so employees can stay in CA and keep their jobs

TP2000

DeSantis can't be that blind to know that the #1 industry in his state is tourism and WDW plays a huge draw to the the millions of guests to spend their time and money and investing in the Sunshine State.

I doubt any noticeable number of people are cancelling their trips to Florida. Even last year when DeSantis was portrayed as the devil for his liberal Covid reopening policies and Florida was painted as a dangerously unhealthy state to be in, the same people who openly condemned Florida's policies were spotted partying it up maskless in Florida on their vacations. :D

This is less of an issue than Covid was.

If the other side runs on "sex ed for first graders," he's going to win 60-40.

The latest polls on the Florida Governor's race are from the University of North Florida. They show Desantis leading Fried by 23 points, and Desantis leading Crist by 21 points. It appears the Democrats will nominate Charlie Crist to oppose DeSantis in the fall.

I doubt DeSantis is going to win by 20 points, the race will tighten up after Labor Day, but it appears Ron DeSantis is headed to a comfortable re-election this November.

ImperfectPixie

That discussion on sexuality/gender for 5-8 year olds should be had at home. With parents.
So what are your thoughts about children who draw a family tree with 2 dads? Or mention their 2 moms while the class is discussing what everyone's families did over the weekend? Because a large number of lessons in grades k-3 are about the individual child and what makes them who they are, including their family and the people who love them.

How should a teacher respond when a child asks "why does Johnny have 2 moms?" when they have the possibility of a lawsuit hanging over their head?

GladToBeHear

Ugh, this whole "grooming" talking point is so damn boring. Did it get uploaded into the Fox News hivemind? I'm hearing it literally everywhere. WORD FOR WORD.

Like... it doesn't even make sense. How does not talking about gender stop grooming? All I've heard from the usual suspects in my (garbage) political community is that it stops Trans / Gay from grooming kids. How?

And yes, there has always been an assumption from [REDACTED] political group that the LGBT grooms kids. Does anyone not remember the San Francisco Gay Choir song which was literally just sarcasm, made to make fun of those who would attack it?

The main problem I have with laws like this is that sex can be an "icky" topic (especially for those terminally religious), but educating even young kids (I don't know, 4th grade? Simpler explanations earlier?) has the effect of reducing pregnancy. This bill does the opposite...

Actually, I take that back. This bill is literally bait, for those who believe all of the above.
Don't know about that. I don't watch Fox News. Nor am I a Conservative/Republican. I just believe in protecting 5-8 year olds and their parents' rights to teach them about sexuality/gender in the way they see fit. Crazy stuff.

Angel Ariel

View attachment 628225
So, I came across this slide in all the hysteria around the Florida bill. And this type of thing is why the majority of parents support the bill. And this is only the official state curriculum. Individual schools and teachers teach other things that are simply inappropriate for children. Parents, while watching school on zoom are now aware of these things. I mean, do 10 year olds really need to be taught about masturbation by a teacher?
And, again - parents have always been able to opt their students out of these classes. The curriculum, as you can clearly see, is available to all. And the opportunity to opt your child out has always been there. No one is argiung against that.

But is this information necessary? Yes. Puberty begins for girls anywhere between age 8 and 13. For boys it's anywhere between 9 and 14. So to have instruction at age 10 as to what puberty is, how it will impact their bodies, feelings they might have due to the changes happening in their bodies - that's important developmental information. If you want to teach that at home, then use the existing opt-out options and do so. But to prevent *everyone* from being able to learn this information because of personal beliefs is not appropriate. There are families, unfortunately, where the only access a child will have to this information ever is at school. While we may not like that reality, it is reality. To frame it as teachers are teaching kids "about masturbation", rather than simply acknowledging this exploration may be something they experience during puberty is disingenuous. The former makes it seem like teachers are going to encourage it, or describe it in detail, etc. That's not what anyone is talking about, that's not what's happening in schools.

TP2000

You originally said that 21st century folks invented banning people from society and limiting free speech in the case of disagreeing with others, which I countered.

I’m sure I could find some example of this happening before the 20th century as well.

I meant 21st century kids on Social Media who support cancel culture, or the smart set at Yale Law School. Go back to the 20th century and college was supposed to be a place where young people were exposed to different opinions and ideas, and then they would make their own opinion based on a diversity of thought. That doesn't happen much any more in college, especially at the most expensive and exclusive schools like Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc.

It's a very troubling thing that young people in academia would not only refuse to listen to differing opinions at college, but would then actively try to prevent the person from even speaking their opinion out loud. Ironically, the event at Yale the kids protested was a presentation about the importance of "Free Speech". These children are idiots. 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom