Indiana Jones Land?

999th Happy Haunt

The biggest problem in Indyland is the ridiculous idea that only Harrison Ford can play Indiana Jones. Harrison Ford is a good actor, but we're not talking about something that only he can do - like Elvis or John Lennon or something. Once Disney gets over that, we can move on with the franchise.
Are you arguing that Disney needs Harrison Ford for a new Indiana Jones attraction or that an Indy attraction can't be built if the franchise is no longer making movies? Both points are not valid either way, Harrison Ford was not involved with any of the already existing Indy attractions, and rides have opened recently from franchises without a movie in a while, Ratatouille (2007) had a ride open last year and Tron Legacy (2010) has a ride opening... who knows when. Indiana Jones is still probably more well known and popular than both those franchises and has a new movie coming out soon.

Dutch Inn '76

Are you arguing that Disney needs Harrison Ford for a new Indiana Jones attraction or that an Indy attraction can't be built if the franchise is no longer making movies? Both points are not valid either way, Harrison Ford was not involved with any of the already existing Indy attractions, and rides have opened recently from franchises without a movie in a while, Ratatouille (2007) had a ride open last year and Tron Legacy (2010) has a ride opening... who knows when. Indiana Jones is still probably more well known and popular than both those franchises and has a new movie coming out soon.
I'm not saying either. I'm just saying what I said. IMHO, the real value in the franchise (same as Star Wars) is in the movies. The movies keep it relevant long term. They make piles of money, long term...

That's the elephant in the room, methinks.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm not saying either. I'm just saying what I said. IMHO, the real value in the franchise (same as Star Wars) is in the movies. The movies keep it relevant long term. They make piles of money, long term...

That's the elephant in the room, methinks.
I mean, it's not like the original(s?) loses its classic status just because there aren't new entries coming out . . . in fact, we've seen often in recent years how new movies can damage the reputation of the franchise. It's not enough to merely keep the name in people's mouths, you have to have them saying good things if you want that approach to work.

Wait times at Disneyland's Indiana Jones Adventure haven't dropped since 2008 just because there hasn't been a new movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark is more relevant on its own than any lousy (or partway decent) sequel could make it.

Bocabear

I mean, it's not like the original(s?) loses its classic status just because there aren't new entries coming out . . . in fact, we've seen often in recent years how new movies can damage the reputation of the franchise. It's not enough to merely keep the name in people's mouths, you have to have them saying good things if you want that approach to work.

Wait times at Disneyland's Indiana Jones Adventure haven't dropped since 2008 just because there hasn't been a new movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark is more relevant on its own than any lousy (or partway decent) sequel could make it.
EXACTLY! And you could add the Disney Sea version of the Indiana Jones Adventure plus Raging Spirits and fit them nicely into the available space...
Indiana Jones HS.jpg

Rambozo

By that logic, they have to remove Dumbo and Peter Pan, they don't have new movies so gotta get rid of them? If those attractions are timeless, you better believe Indiana Jones is. No space mountain movie so get rid of the attraction? This line of thinking is complete nonsense.

Dumbo and Peter Pan are animated movies so they don't go by the same rules.

Rambozo

I respectfully disagree. Sean Connery is *still* the best "Bond," as he made the character. ...but there have been several great takes on the character, and many of the sequels have been incredible.

There's no reason why IJ couldn't become a long-running franchise exactly like James Bond. Tiki Bars are back. Why can't we keep diving into the jungle with Jones?

Sean Connery didn't play James Bond for 40 years. He passed the torch to other people.

Dutch Inn '76

Is that why they demo'd the GMR? All those movies that still haven't lost their classic status? My kids know and like Casablanca because I've made them watch it. I'll bet they're 1 in 500.

yensidtlaw1969

Is that why they demo'd the GMR? All those movies that still haven't lost their classic status? My kids know and like Casablanca because I've made them watch it. I'll bet they're 1 in 500.
They demo'd The Great Movie Ride because it was an expensive attraction to operate, and Disney saw the "rebirth" of the park with Galaxy's Edge as an opportunity to replace it with a ride that's significantly less expensive to run.

Disney didn't look and say "Ya know, people just don't know about The Wizard of Oz anymore". It was always true that the youngest guests had likely only seen a few of the movies featured. The ride had something for everyone, not everything for everyone - it was designed to be cross-generational. The Mary Poppins, Fantasia, and Wizard of Oz sequences were enough to hook me as a child, and it was a favorite even though the Footlight Parade and Casablanca scenes mystified me, and the Underworld, Alien, and Temple scenes scared the heck out of me.

And then of course there's the perennial point that if Disney felt the selection of featured movies was growing stale they could always have replaced them with new ones. It wouldn't have cost more to swap out a few scenes for movies they deemed more "relevant" than to gut the building and make a new ride from scratch. They just didn't want to.

Last edited:

Rambozo

LOL. Ford hasn't played Jones for 40 years. He's made 4 movies. Connery made 7.

LOL. Do the math, the first one came out in 1981, that is 41 years ago. And he has been the only lead actor to play him in the movies. Unlike James Bond whose been played by multiple people in over 20 movies since 1962.

Roger Moore played him 7 times
Daniel Craig played him 5 times
Pierce Brosnan played him 4 times

Last edited:

Robbiem

I would move Indiana Jones to the annimation courtyard area. change the entrance to rock and roller coaster to there and retheme it to a raging spirits type temple, add another e ticket either the Indy ride from California/ tokyo maybe with a different theme (egyptian temple from lost ark) or the Shanghai boat tech. A jungle / temple challenge trail, quick service and some shopping would round things out and give the park a nice adventureland style area. The stunt show then becomes the area for the next expansion in due course - I’d love to see a new take on toontown at the studios leading off echo lake

rle4lunch

Just "accidently" turn on the propane over at the stunt show and let it burn. Collect the insurance money and build something worth seeing on top of its ashes.

Roy G. Dis

2 out of 4 Indiana Jones movies (soon to be 3 out of 5) starring Harrison Ford are at best, just OK. He's just so good in Raiders that it's hard to see anyone else playing him. But anybody that played the PC Game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis knows that if the voice is close enough and the image is pixelated enough then, well, it just work.

UNCgolf

2 out of 4 Indiana Jones movies (soon to be 3 out of 5) starring Harrison Ford are at best, just OK. He's just so good in Raiders that it's hard to see anyone else playing him. But anybody that played the PC Game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis knows that if the voice is close enough and the image is pixelated enough then, well, it just work.

That's one of my favorite games ever.

MickeyMouse10

I’ve always thought Ansel Elgort from “Baby Driver” and “The Fault of Our Stars” would be perfect as the new Indy. It has been between either him or Chris Pratt, but Pratt has become too big of a name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom