SeaWorld premiering second summer spectacular

speck76

Original Poster
SeaWorld premiering second summer spectacular
Blue Horizons includes marine animals, colorful costumes and exotic birds.
Bob Mervine
Staff Writer

The dolphins have gone back to school again at SeaWorld Orlando, in training for Blue Horizons -- a new animal show premiering in May that officials say will rival last summer's nighttime water spectacular, Mystify.

The 20-minute show has been in development for 15 months, involving people such as Stanley Meyer, a set designer and show consultant who created the 100-foot-wide set and is best known for his work on the Broadway musical Beauty and the Beast.

In addition, costume designer Tracy Christensen, known for her work on Broadway's Fiddler on the Roof and Beauty and the Beast, has developed an entirely different set of costumes unlike the traditional wetsuits worn in previous shows.

The elaborate new set includes a 40-foot-tall framework and a large see-through panel to allow the dolphins, false killer whales and brightly costumed trainers who dive with the animals to be center stage as they swing and dive into the water from above.

The original musical score for the show is performed by the Seattle Symphony Orchestra. The new animal show also includes a flock of colorful, exotic birds including blue and gold macaws, Andean condors and sun conures that appear and disappear as part of the day and nighttime performances.

Summer will also mark the return for its second season of SeaWorld's nighttime show, Mystify. The park's center lake, on the shores of The Waterfront seaport village, is the stage for the performance, which features larger-than-life marine creatures projected by laser beams onto 60-foot mist screens, 100-foot fountains, flames on water and a firework finale.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks, speck.

Mystify is coming back? Oh....

Rockin` Rockets was more enjoyable - even with the mist screen testing incorporated into it.

Zed

I like Mistify,but do concede it doesn't live up to it's potential. It's just a shame they didn't go the Epcot route and make the fountains and stuff portable, and held the show at the Atlantis Bayside Stadium, so everyone could sit to view the show, and they'd still be able to hold a waterski/watersports show in that stadium during the day as well. Also a shame the way they re-did the bridge over the lake too, just for Mistify.

I'm very psyched for Blue Horizons, the set looks great and can't wait to see the acrobatics that'll take place between the humans, dolphins, and false killer whales there. I was alittle bummed to find out SW won't be using Pacific white sided dolphins for Blue Horizons like the Orlando Fun Card TV Commercial, which has been shown for months now shows, but that's what happens when they use footage from the Viva show from SW San Antonio, and I'm probably the only dork who noticed it anyways. :rolleyes:

speck76

Original Poster
Part of the planning of Mystify was to get the guests to spend time in The Waterfront, and spend money at the bars, restaurants, and shops.....

Although from a financial standpoint, this makes total sense, it is just not a great location to view the show. Perhaps a typical fireworks show would work well, but it is not very easy to get a great view of the projection area.

Zed

Yeah, made alot of sense to go through all that trouble and money, then only run Mistify for a couple months out of the year, same for that rarely used Sand Bar and unfortunately the giftshops in the Waterfront seem to be a ghost town most of the time, then the Sea Fire Inn closing early to put on the Makahiki Luau . :rolleyes: It's really a shame too, as SW is one of my favorite parks.

To me they got a little carried away with the whole Waterfront area just a little overkill on the giftshops, sure the old section before it could've used a facelift, but the way this has been executed seems like a reverse of what they set out to do. Hopefully the powers that be, can do something to change atleast some of this stuff down the road.

The fireworks only, or mixed with the fountains show sounds like a much better idea.

I love the look of the Waterfront, and the live entertainment there, but that's it.

speck76

Original Poster
I think the Waterfront was a good, LONG TERM investment. The park never really had a Main Street USA like the MK has, so by adding this area, they have changed much of the experiance of the park.

As the park expands over the next 10 years, and adds new shows, rides, and attractions, I see that this area will become more key.......but yeah, as of now, it is not living up to its potential.

Zed

Didn't mean to be too negative before, like you said perhaps time will help and with some tweaking here and there, it'll be a better addition to SW down the road.

xfkirsten

I watched that Blue Horizons video awhile back, and it looks me me like they took Cirque de la Mer and a dolphin show and squished them together - right down to the costume style. Makes me a bit unsure...

/our Cirque de la Mer is far better than Orlando's, anyways ;)

JIFhdvjd

I like Mistify,but do concede it doesn't live up to it's potential. It's just a shame they didn't go the Epcot route and make the fountains and stuff portable, and held the show at the Atlantis Bayside Stadium, so everyone could sit to view the show, and they'd still be able to hold a waterski/watersports show in that stadium during the day as well. Also a shame the way they re-did the bridge over the lake too, just for Mistify.

I'm very psyched for Blue Horizons, the set looks great and can't wait to see the acrobatics that'll take place between the humans, dolphins, and false killer whales there. I was alittle bummed to find out SW won't be using Pacific white sided dolphins for Blue Horizons like the Orlando Fun Card TV Commercial, which has been shown for months now shows, but that's what happens when they use footage from the Viva show from SW San Antonio, and I'm probably the only dork who noticed it anyways. :rolleyes:
Photo?

JIFhdvjd

I watched that Blue Horizons video awhile back, and it looks me me like they took Cirque de la Mer and a dolphin show and squished them together - right down to the costume style. Makes me a bit unsure...

/our Cirque de la Mer is far better than Orlando's, anyways ;)
Photo and video?
Sea World has a quick behind the scenes look at the making of Blue Horizons video on it's site.

http://seaworld.com/seaworld/fla/blue_horizons.aspx
Its not there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom