Trip Report Kirk and Connie's Post-COVID(ish) 50th Anniversary Epic Disney World Adventure!

It's been since December of 2018 since we were last at our favorite place on the planet and we're thrilled to be making our return at the end of February. I'm 45 years old, but embrace my inner 11 year old quite freely. Connie is a woman of distinction - we're using her AARP discount - though I bet she will get carded as she doesn't look old enough to be eligible. We met twenty years ago at work and became instant friends. Many many years ago, we actually traveled to Disney separately - but concurrently - and met up on that trip and hung out... and decided we should start going on vacation together. We're excellent travel friends; I like naps and breaks and she doesn't mind that I abandon her for my hotel room mid-day. I also love that she is fiercely independent and does whatever she wants without any hurt feelings on either side of things. We really do tolerate each other quite well - which makes for a very relaxing trip.

We've traveled together a lot and have been to Disney together probably 10 times. We're staying at Pop Century, which is our usual go-to resort. So much has changed since our last trip, including the addition of the Skyliner, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, and of course Galaxy's Edge. Connie has been one other time without me and has seen Galaxy's Edge, but is a giant Star Wars fan so we'll plan to spend a good chunk of time there - especially since neither of us has ridden Rise of the Resistance yet.

We fly out early and plan to be at DHS on Day One no later than noon - and hopefully sooner. I'll try to get LL passes for RotR for that afternoon though I don't know if you have to be geographically located on the property to score them? I guess we'll find out. We are there Sunday - Friday, with an early flight on Friday morning. That gives us four a half amazing days to explore stuff we've never done and revisit old favorites. We are renting a car because we are impatient, especially at night.

I've made dining reservations for Space 220 (just the lounge right now; I'm hoping to find a spot in the dining room), Brown Derby, Beaches and Cream, Le Cellier, Rainforest Cafe (AK), the Creperie in France, Be Our Guest, the Plaza, and we have MK Dessert Party tickets for our last night. All of that is subject to change; we value spontaneity but I also love my spreadsheet itineraries and such. Frankly, if it were up to me and there wasn't the need to plan so much, I'd show up and hop on the first bus that showed up at the hotel and let it take me wherever. But, that's just not realistic anymore with the way we like to do Disney.

Anyway, I'm getting really excited. We're less than a month away! I hope you'll enjoy the Trip Report as much as I enjoy writing it. :)

kirksheppard

Original Poster
This is one my favorite photos that I've ever taken. I'm hoping to get some great shots this trip, too, but using my iPhone. I'm more into vlogging these days so I'll have my DJI Pocket 2 with me at all times - and might take my DJI Action 2, as well, but I also don't like carrying too much stuff with me. Finding that balance is a trick!

Attachments

• i-3r4tpZd-X5.jpeg
    i-3r4tpZd-X5.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 113

fractal

This is one my favorite photos that I've ever taken. I'm hoping to get some great shots this trip, too, but using my iPhone. I'm more into vlogging these days so I'll have my DJI Pocket 2 with me at all times - and might take my DJI Action 2, as well, but I also don't like carrying too much stuff with me. Finding that balance is a trick!
Cool photo!

BwlrBry212

You can order the prix fixe menu from Space 220 even if you are seated in the lounge. The only real difference is that the lounge tables are further back in the room but still offer great views of "space"

kirksheppard

Original Poster
You can order the prix fixe menu from Space 220 even if you are seated in the lounge. The only real difference is that the lounge tables are further back in the room but still offer great views of "space"
Hi! Thanks for this. I'd read this on a few blogs but couldn't find anything "official" from Disney saying that you could order from that menu in the lounge and so I wasn't sure if they'd changed that now or not.

Have you done it? Was the staff pretty accommodating?

BwlrBry212

Hi! Thanks for this. I'd read this on a few blogs but couldn't find anything "official" from Disney saying that you could order from that menu in the lounge and so I wasn't sure if they'd changed that now or not.

Have you done it? Was the staff pretty accommodating?
I was just there a two weeks ago and as soon as the waiter came over he told us that we had the choice between both menus. We were just planning on doing the lounge menu anyway but it was nice to know that the other option was available. The devilled eggs and chicken and waffles on the lounge menu were very good, btw.

kirksheppard

Original Poster
I was just there a two weeks ago and as soon as the waiter came over he told us that we had the choice between both menus. We were just planning on doing the lounge menu anyway but it was nice to know that the other option was available. The devilled eggs and chicken and waffles on the lounge menu were very good, btw.
Excellent, thank you so much! I'm so excited to eat here - and this has made me even more excited!

kirksheppard

Original Poster
On a scale of 0 - 10, I went full NERD ALERT yesterday and predicted what I would be getting at all the various meals we have planned, calculated the cost (plus tax and tip, when appropriate) to better hone in on my budget for this trip. My spreadsheet keeps growing . . .

kirksheppard

Original Poster
I like to blog and write a lot; I thought maybe you would enjoy reading this piece I wrote about the time I rode Tower of Terror all alone. It's written for a general audience, so don't be insulted by my descriptions and explanation of things that most people who frequent this board would already know. 😂
_
We arrived at the park opening, like always, but it seemed more crowded than usual. The energy was different; the Storm Troopers standing on top of the entrance turnstiles, talking about the guests below, was a unique addition. It was the first Star Wars Weekend of the year, back when they still held that event at the Disney Hollywood Studios (it was Disney-MGM then).

Connie was excited; she is obsessed with Star Wars. I was moderately interested in the franchise. I knew enough to not embarrass myself in conversation, but I was more interested in things like The Great Movie Ride, MuppetVision 4-D, and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

As the park opened, the massive crowd went left towards the Star Wars “stuff.” There were early morning FastPasses for meet and greets and exclusive merchandise for sale. I told Connie I’d meet up with her later, and I went the other direction.

Right to the queue for the Tower of Terror.

This thrilling drop-ride is widely regarded as one of the best-themed rides in the history of amusement parks. Designed as an abandoned hotel from early Hollywood, the exterior is impressive. But it’s the details inside that fascinated me.

Based on the Rod Serling television show, The Twilight Zone, guests enter the gigantic show building into a dusty, dirty, cobweb-filled lobby. There’s a guest register book, statues, sculptures, and era-appropriate architecture. There was no time to look around, though, because I walked right in and was ushered into one of the libraries. Alone.

Here’s where a Rod Serling impersonator appears on a black and white television, giving the backstory of the adventure on which we were about to embark.

“He reveals that on a gloomy Halloween night in 1939, some hotel patrons were riding the elevator when a violent storm struck the building… and they were never seen again. The hotel closed down and has stood empty ever since.”
— WaltDisneyWorld.com

The doors opened and I kept moving into the boiler room. See, the regular elevators are out of service, so we have to use the “service elevators” to reach our destination. I walked towards the cast member, who, while in character, were friendly enough. The elevator door was open. “Sit wherever you’d like.”

I buckled in and looked around. I couldn’t believe it; I was all alone. I had the entire ride vehicle to myself. I giggled a little. I mean, who gets a “zen ride” on this attraction? (A “zen ride” is a solo trip, usually discussed by roller coaster fanatics online in their trip reports.)

The elevator rose, and I loved all the special effects were in full force. And then, the climax — the elevator moved forward, settled into place, and dropped. And it rose fast. Falling again, from various heights, in random fashion was exhilarating — especially in the empty car.

I regret not buying the souvenir photo to commemorate this once-in-a-lifetime moment.

1*DXWBdkfzWM6hkfBx4XssXw.png

There we are, dead center, on a typical ride in a full car

I have experienced this attraction dozens of times in my life. Apart from the time I rode with 19 Japanese tourists, all with cameras out, who were not expecting that first drop, this was by far the most thrilling.

But that’s a story for another time.

kirksheppard

Original Poster
Has anyone rented a car at MCO lately? Was the wait as bad I've heard it has been? Anyone UBERed from the airport to the resort? Was that easy to do? (I've used UBER a lot in my life, but not from MCO to Disney.). We're having second thoughts about the rental car based on how long I've heard it's been taking people to deal with the rental counter waits and stuff . . .

EDITED: We decided to cancel the car rental and go with a Town Car Service for arrival and use Disney transportation and Uber/Taxis as needed. We're less than a week away!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom