Poll: Genie Plus / ILL / Maxpass Options Preference at WDW

Pick your poison! (Descriptions are below in the top comment!)

• Go Back to FP+ - I like to micro-manage everything!

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • MaxPass - one price fits all!

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • Individual ride prices - everything is a la carte!

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Single rider lines - go back to the stone age!

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Keep Genie+ and ILLs - if it aint broke?

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters

jasminethecat

Original Poster
For WDW in specific, I wondered what the pulse was like on this issue - in what direction would this passionate group of Disney fans prefer for the use of the current Fastpass/Lightning Lanes.

You can pick only one, you can change your votes later and it won't display your individual selection. The choices include:
  1. Go back to FastPass+ and Disney will undoubtedly raise ticket prices.
    Pros: free for everyone, book rides 60 days in advance.
    Cons: very few options on the day-of, it still had long lines in both the FP and standby queues due to overselling
  2. Have a single Maxpass price like universal's express pass, say $100 per person per day extra, and limit the sales of this
    Pros: fixed price, easy to understand and use, unlimited use for all rides on that day in that park
    Cons: easy to use, don't know based on standby times if it will be worth it and you might have to reserve way in advance if you want one
  3. Have ILL's for everything - variable prices for every ride based on current demand and popularity/age of the ride. Requires payment through MDE or magic band.
    Pros: Possibly cheaper than a maxpass depending on how many rides you opt in for.
    Cons: Possibly more expensive for the same reasons...
  4. Get rid of everything, make the existing FP/Lightning Lanes into single rider lanes. Disney will undoubtedly raise ticket prices.
    Pros: Great if traveling alone, stupid-easy to understand
    Cons: May appear to punish families who want to ride together and will likely increase standby ride queue lenths
  5. Keep the current Genie+ and ILL system
    Pros: It is priced fairly reasonably and it solves some standby issues
    Cons: It's hella-confusing and heavily favors "morning people", you don't know what value you will get from Genie+ in advance.

MickeyLuv'r

This is a bit of an odd poll. I use SR whenever it is available AND used FP-/FP+. For many rides, it is a way to bypass the pre-show room. If you have been on a ride 20+ times, the pre-shows can get a bit tiresome.

If I had a choice between free Single Rider with a 10 min wait OR paying $15 per person for ILL to ride Rat, I would choose SR in a heartbeat.

In other cases, like MF, SR = not getting to be pilot. Still an option, but a trade-off. I'd choose SR (w/ no wait) over waiting an hour, but not if the difference was only 10min. Actually, I wouldn't normally wait more than 15 minutes for it. The ride is kinda lame. Such a shame. Worth doing once or twice, but still lame.

But there is no way WDW could split up every family. Small children can't ride alone.

I think Genie+/ILL is a confusing mess. IMO, it is a broken system. If the price of a park ticket was reduced 50%, then I would say the pricing is fair. Given the crazy 2022 prices of WDW hotels, tickets, parking, and food...paying for Genie+/ILL on top of all that is, IMO, an insult.

The last time I used FP+, it worked fairly beautifully. I booked 3 FP early in the day. I was able to bump up the times to compress them, and then we were able to obtain one FP after another. On top of that, we were given 2 anytime FP. (ride closures, but we got to ride anyhow.) The biggest downside of FP+ was no re-rides. (Early FP+ was initially a disaster.)

I am tempted to say though that no FP-type of system at all might be best. The queues move quickly, everyone is equal, and you don't need to look at your phone. You just get to enjoy the queues. If not that, then WDW should have something that is simple to use. ALL of WDW's FP ideas have been overly complicated. Express Pass is much better. Just give me something i can use all day, on all the rides, without having to THINK about specific time windows.

Last edited:

jasminethecat

Original Poster
This is a bit of an odd poll. I use SR whenever it is available AND used FP-/FP+. For many rides, it is a way to bypass the pre-show room. If you have been on a ride 20+ times, the pre-shows can get a bit tiresome.

If I had a choice between free Single Rider with a 10 min wait OR paying $15 per person for ILL to ride Rat, I would choose SR in a heartbeat.

In other cases, like MF, SR = not getting to be pilot. Still an option, but a trade-off. I'd choose SR (w/ no wait) over waiting an hour, but not if the difference was only 10min. Actually, I wouldn't normally wait more than 15 minutes for it. The ride is kinda lame. Such a shame. Worth doing once or twice, but still lame.

But there is no way WDW could split up every family. Small children can't ride alone.

I think Genie+/ILL is a confusing mess. IMO, it is a broken system. If the price of a park ticket was reduced 50%, then I would say the pricing is fair. Given the crazy 2022 prices of WDW hotels, tickets, parking, and food...paying for Genie+/ILL on top of all that is, IMO, an insult.

The last time I used FP+, it worked fairly beautifully. I booked 3 FP early in the day. I was able to bump up the times to compress them, and then we were able to obtain one FP after another. On top of that, we were given 2 anytime FP. (ride closures, but we got to ride anyhow.) The biggest downside of FP+ was no re-rides. (Early FP+ was initially a disaster.)

I am tempted to say though that no FP-type of system at all might be best. The queues move quickly, everyone is equal, and you don't need to look at your phone. You just get to enjoy the queues. If not that, then WDW should have something that is simple to use. ALL of WDW's FP ideas have been overly complicated. Express Pass is much better. Just give me something i can use all day, on all the rides, without having to THINK about specific time windows.
Some general comments -
The whole point of the poll was to see (and maybe get disney to see, but i doubt it) if people had a clear preference towards a secondary ride queuing system. Perhaps my wording was odd on some of them?

I think you misunderstood what i meant in choice #4 - i meant get rid of any paid system but keep a standby line and convert every old fastpass/lightning lane to be single rider lanes. That idea would be great for people who travel alone, but would seem to punish groups and families who want to ride together (since the alternative is splitting up to possibly ride quicker).

MickeyLuv'r

Some general comments -
The whole point of the poll was to see (and maybe get disney to see, but i doubt it) if people had a clear preference towards a secondary ride queuing system. Perhaps my wording was odd on some of them?

I think you misunderstood what i meant in choice #4 - i meant get rid of any paid system but keep a standby line and convert every old fastpass/lightning lane to be single rider lanes. That idea would be great for people who travel alone, but would seem to punish groups and families who want to ride together (since the alternative is splitting up to possibly ride quicker).
Ther is perhaps a little bit of each program that I'd keep. An aspect of the old paper FP that worked was the ability to get 2 FP for the same attraction, if you desired. Another benefit - debated- was the unofficial policy of CM's being flexible with the return window. If a meal held you up longer than expected, you didn't lose your FP if you were 30min outside your time window. another aspect I liked was the ability to pay it forward, and give them away to strangers when we were unable to use them. I also liked being able to just show up to any park and be on equal footing with everyone else.

A plus of FP+, and perhaps Genie+/ILL is that you no longer have to walk to the kiosk. It was okay for me personally, but I understand how most folks prefer the ability to get FP via phone.

One of the few things I well I sorta like and sorta don't like about Genie+ is the 7am day of booking. I thought FP+ was too far in advance. the downside of Genie+, is that so many people are now awake at 7am. That = the parks get more crowded earlier in the morning. Maybe if WDW adds park hours this could be a little better over time, but I think WDW was aiming to do away with short RD waits.

WDW could not have everyone use only Single Rider, because children can't ride alone, so I don't see it working as an option. SR is also mostly only works on rides with seat belts. Though Universal's Spiderman comes to mind as an exception. That one has bench seats and SR, or did. I'm not sure it is open now.

Also, as I said, SR usually = bypassing the pre-show room. That's usually the trade-off.

My family uses SR, because we don't mind splitting up one bit. We're together for 20+ hours a day. We can stand to split up for a few minutes. most people using the SR are actually families/groups that don't mind splitting up, not true solo riders. Oh, we also miss out on having a photo of us together.

I can't speak to Max Pass much, but I would love to see Express Pass at WDW. that would be worth paying for, but Genie+ ILL is just a mess. You pay, but have no idea how many Genie+ passes you are going to get. So it might be $15 for ONE pass, or $15 for 5, or....

The Great Gonzo

I watch a lot of vloggers and most of them hate it. And they're people who go multiple times throughout the year. So they usually skip many of the top rides during visits.

Diamond Dot

The problem with SRL is that you get groups in or a parent with children in the SRL and when they get to the front they ask to go on together, most CMs say no, but, I've seen CMs okay it. The SRL at Test Track is the worst for this, the only plus for doing it is not having to go through the palaver of the pre board area, which I don't really care for. But, when groups do this they don't realise they are extending the wait time and there have been times they would have been better of doing stand by as the wait time is similar and they guarantee going on together. Everest and RnRCoaster doesn't seem to have that problem so much.

Diamond Dot

I haven't even been back since they changed to Genie and I already miss Fastpasses. It was so convenient, easy to use and best of all free.
I would pay for FP+ if it were the same system as when it was free, that $15 for Genie+ would be infinitely more acceptable for FP+. I liked the MaxPass in DL in 2019, unlimited FP and photos, I think that was $15 a day, but, don't quote me on that, you couldn't book them like WDW FP+, but, I definitely got my money's worth.

Diamond Dot

Went to Disneyland a few years back and maxpass was amazing! We used the passes on everything...at least 8-10 rides per day. Plus it included photopass photos!
I did GoTG four times in a row before 10am using MaxPass, as soon as I had scanned the FP I would immediately go back on the app and book another, not to mention the photos.
Both FP+ and DLs MaxPass were ideal. Getting rid of FP+ and replacing it with Genie+ is proof of Disney corporate greed.

The Great Gonzo

I would pay for FP+ if it were the same system as when it was free, that $15 for Genie+ would be infinitely more acceptable for FP+. I liked the MaxPass in DL in 2019, unlimited FP and photos, I think that was $15 a day, but, don't quote me on that, you couldn't book them like WDW FP+, but, I definitely got my money's worth.

Oh yeah, but it would be even better if they had one like Universal's. It's expensive, but it's hassle free. You just walk into the other queue. You don't have to be on your phone every 5 minutes, which takes me out of the magic.

Purduevian

Oh yeah, but it would be even better if they had one like Universal's. It's expensive, but it's hassle free. You just walk into the other queue. You don't have to be on your phone every 5 minutes, which takes me out of the magic.
Disney has that! VIP tour, club 33, or Golden oaks is what it costs at the world.

Lirael

I love how obviously biased the poll is /s

OP really cant think of any reason one would prefer FP+, other than micromanaging? God forbid I simply do not want to wake up at 7am every day in my vacation to snag a faster line pass, or god forbid I'd like to go back to when I could pick the time myself. Or that I don't want to give wdw more money for a worse experience. Or even that I don't want to give them money and find out I might not even get what I wanted to pay far (aka paying for Genie+ only to find out the attraction you want isn't available anymore)

Purduevian

I love how obviously biased the poll is /s

OP really cant think of any reason one would prefer FP+, other than micromanaging? God forbid I simply do not want to wake up at 7am every day in my vacation to snag a faster line pass, or god forbid I'd like to go back to when I could pick the time myself. Or that I don't want to give wdw more money for a worse experience. Or even that I don't want to give them money and find out I might not even get what I wanted to pay far (aka paying for Genie+ only to find out the attraction you want isn't available anymore)
My other big two issues with the new system:
  • No Re-rides through the LL quene
  • No ability to modify an existing reservation. I know you can cancel and then rebook, but the old system of being able to hold your old FP+ while searching for a new one was sooo much better.

Purduevian

Oh yeah, you're probably right. They could always give it for free to Deluxe resort guests too, like Universal does.
Would be nice, but Universal only have 3 resorts that get it with
-Royal Pacific has 1,000 rooms
-Hard Rock has 650 rooms
-Portofino Bay has 750 rooms
Total of 2,400 rooms for 2 parks (1,200 rooms per park)

Disney hotels:
Bay Lake Tower -295
Boulder Ridge Villas-136
Cabins at Fort Wilderness- 409
Cooper Creek Villas-220
Animal Kingdom Lodge- 972
Jambo House Villas-214
Kidani Village Villas-458
Beach Club-583
Beach Club Villas-282
Board Walk-378
Board Walk Villas- 532
Contemporary-655
Grad Floridian-867
Old Key West-761
Polynesian Village-479
Polynesian Villas and Bungalows-380
Rivera-300
Wilderness lodge-430
Yacht Club-635
Villas at Grand Floridian-147

9,133 deluxe rooms for 4 theme parks (2,283 rooms per park)

The Great Gonzo

Would be nice, but Universal only have 3 resorts that get it with
-Royal Pacific has 1,000 rooms
-Hard Rock has 650 rooms
-Portofino Bay has 750 rooms
Total of 2,400 rooms for 2 parks (1,200 rooms per park)

Disney hotels:
Bay Lake Tower -295
Boulder Ridge Villas-136
Cabins at Fort Wilderness- 409
Cooper Creek Villas-220
Animal Kingdom Lodge- 972
Jambo House Villas-214
Kidani Village Villas-458
Beach Club-583
Beach Club Villas-282
Board Walk-378
Board Walk Villas- 532
Contemporary-655
Grad Floridian-867
Old Key West-761
Polynesian Village-479
Polynesian Villas and Bungalows-380
Rivera-300
Wilderness lodge-430
Yacht Club-635
Villas at Grand Floridian-147

9,133 deluxe rooms for 4 theme parks (2,283 rooms per park)

Yep, they'd have to limit it to the big daddies. Poly, Grand Flo and Contemporary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom