plus size characters/dancers at wdw??

disneyblondie15

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
hi everyone, i am considering applying for the disney college program. i am by no means skinny, would that prohibit me from working in entertainment either as a dancer or being friends with a character? i haven’t seen many plus size entertainment cast members. to clarify, i would only want to be friends with a fur character, if that helps my chances at all.

Weather_Lady

I can't say whether plus-sized dancers are well-represented when it comes to live entertainment -- I just haven't happened to take notice of that either way -- but I've seen plus-sized CMs in just about every other job description at WDW, including character "minders." (With respect to the college program, know that participants often are assigned to work multiple types of jobs -- my friend who used to appear as two of the costumed characters was also assigned weekly shifts in WDW food service and retail.) Regardless, there's no reason to let your build discourage you from applying -- or frankly, from doing anything you want to do, ever. :)

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I can't say whether plus-sized dancers are well-represented when it comes to live entertainment -- I just haven't happened to take notice of that either way -- but I've seen plus-sized CMs in just about every other job description at WDW, including character "minders." (With respect to the college program, know that participants often are assigned to work multiple types of jobs -- my friend who used to appear as two of the costumed characters also was assigned weekly shifts in WDW food service and retail.) Regardless, there's no reason to let your build discourage you from applying -- or frankly, from doing anything you want to do, ever. :)
∆∆∆∆this x a million∆∆∆∆

castlecake2.0

hi everyone, i am considering applying for the disney college program. i am by no means skinny, would that prohibit me from working in entertainment either as a dancer or being friends with a character? i haven’t seen many plus size entertainment cast members. to clarify, i would only want to be friends with a fur character, if that helps my chances at all.
For fur characters as long as the performer can fit in the costume and animate the character as required, size and shape doesn’t matter. Saying that, Disney College Program is a gamble and you cannot select your role, it’s up to the Labor Management gods. It is possible to be a character performer on DCP, but dancers are usually permanent cast members. Chances are also high you could be a character attendant. Hope this helps!

JIMINYCR

Oh there are many plus-sized Disney CM's working in a variety of roles and I see many working in the role you are interested in. If you get to do it give yourself some time to experience the role and once you feel more comfortable and confident, then explore the possibilities of doing more challenging things. As Weather_Lady said, dont let anything hold you back. Life is too short to let others dictate what you can or cannot do. Its been said....If you dream it you can do it.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

No. He didn't. :) But other folks at the company did. :)

And while I can't speak offhand to WDW, I can add that DLR does have plus-sized dancers in shows and parades.

And I wish the OP the best of luck in following their dreams.
Sorry... In my haste I had forgotten that that quote long attributed to Walt has been debunked. I stand corrected and corrected my post. However the OP should still be advised to follow her dreams.

Sbk1234

My daughter just started the DCP. I can tell you that you don't get to pick your job. You take what they give you. My daughter for instance was given a job she's not excited about, to say the least (food service). I also think that dancers are hired through auditions, and are union workers. I could be wrong about that. If anyone knows, please correct me.

castlecake2.0

My daughter just started the DCP. I can tell you that you don't get to pick your job. You take what they give you. My daughter for instance was given a job she's not excited about, to say the least (food service). I also think that dancers are hired through auditions, and are union workers. I could be wrong about that. If anyone knows, please correct me.
Pretty much correct

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom