Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

Brer Panther

I don't DISLIKE the new color scheme, but... what was wrong with the original purple and red color scheme? Why repaint 'em? Hasn't Disney ever heard of the phrase "leave well enough alone"?

It kind of reminds me of when they redesigned the McDonald's on property. It used to look colorful and fun, and now it's just drab and generic. How is that an improvement?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You singled me out, but a lot of folks here seem to feel it is less distinct, so that “everyone” seems somewhat limited. It was absolutely my first impression.

I mean, we’ve been told that painting giant warehouses blue will make them virtually invisible to the naked eye, but blue road signs against the blue sky are really going to pop?
Well played
That makes me want to stop and pick up a pack of luckys

Tom Morrow

Perfect example of how they’ll never please everyone… I’d love to see the Mickey arrow ears… different strokes for different folks.

View attachment 616902
I don’t mind this. The ears are a symbol for the company. What I don’t want, and I’m shocked that they didn’t do, was find some way to put actual characters on them.

Casper Gutman

Despite it being "too 90s," purple makes a lot of sense. Red, orange, and yellow indicate danger or, at least, unusual circumstances and would cause unease in drivers. Green is too close to standard highway signs and doesn't create a sense of separation from the normal. Blue gets lost against the sky. Brown, while not awful, evokes national parks and doesn't scream "fun." Purple really is perfect. If they wanted to change the signs, there was no reason to move away from purple, even if you redesigned the whole thing. This feels like a change for the sake of it.

ImperfectPixie

What color are the non-Disney wayfinding signs in that area? I know that when we were first-time drivers of a rented car on one of our trips, it was nice that the ones that were Disney-specific were so easily discernable from the others...I hope the dropping of the purple doesn't cause any confusion for newbies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What color are the non-Disney wayfinding signs in that area? I know that when we were first-time drivers of a rented car on one of our trips, it was nice that the ones that were Disney-specific were so easily discernable from the others...I hope the dropping of the purple doesn't cause any confusion for newbies.
I’m gonna assume the assumption here is at least partly that nobody looks at signs under age 75 because they are gps dependent

Nottamus

I have a question : or two

How long WERE the signs the purple color? What were they before? (If there was a different color)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If I know modern Disney Parks the way I think I do, then I can't wait to hear the backstory of these new signs... how they were "unearthed" near Walt's former Los Feliz home by none other than Thee Zach Ridley. I'm shocked we haven't gotten a new Instagram post yet.
You forgot about the new projection show “inspired” by the signs…and the frozen/little mermaid songs that will play during it 👍🏻

ImperfectPixie

I’m gonna assume the assumption here is at least partly that nobody looks at signs under age 75 because they are gps dependent
While Google has improved dramatically over the years, it still makes mistakes quite often. Google sent me to a parking lot this morning instead of an actual occupied building...which was 2 lots away. Our last trip to Disney, it sent us to the CM entrance of AK instead of the public entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom