Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I am not on suicide watch or anything, but definitely not a fan.

Not only because of the nostalgia factor, but they're a little too 'generic' they almost look like a typical street sign. They don't have the "You're in the bubble vibe" that the purple/green combo have.

Say what you want about Chapek, but he does pay attention to detail.
He's ruining literally EVERYTHING ;)

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

To be expected with the entrance gates being painted the same scheme. Don't like it, but alas, they are just signs and I wouldn't really call them iconic.

I disagree. Perhaps it wasn't something that people actively thought about, but when they saw the different colored signs, they stood out as what made Disney property unique. It always stood as a reminder of an era where Disney truly cared about the smallest of details, differentiating the company from other experiences.

The road signs were iconic in how they stood as a strong reminder of the Eisner era. In retrospect, as we now continue to pay more for an increasingly watered-down experience, the Eisner era continues to look better, even at its lowest moments.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'm surprised they're using something based on Highway Gothic. Clearview font has been standard around me for almost 10 years.
The US officially moved away from Clearview a few years ago and for Florida Code mandates wayfinding signs use Highway Gothic or another MUTCD font - as of 2021 the only MUTCD font is Highway Gothic.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The US officially moved away from Clearview a few years ago and for Florida Code mandates wayfinding signs use Highway Gothic or another MUTCD font - as of 2021 the only MUTCD font is Highway Gothic.

The color purple is explicitly banned on wayfinding signs in the Florida code.
Summing these two together, Disney’s wayfinding signs weren’t compliant with Florida law. Now they will be.

Chip Chipperson

I understand the desire to have the road signs match the color scheme around the rest of the resort, but it really doesn't work for road signs because they don't look like they'll catch your eye while driving. On a clear day, you'll have a blue sign against a blue sky. On a cloudy day (like in the photos posted) they just seem dreary and won't get your attention. Maybe they'd look better if the bottom stripe was yellow instead of a lighter shade of blue, but the purple still seems like a better color choice for a road sign.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I disagree. Perhaps it wasn't something that people actively thought about, but when they saw the different colored signs, they stood out as what made Disney property unique. It always stood as a reminder of an era where Disney truly cared about the smallest of details, differentiating the company from other experiences.

The road signs were iconic in how they stood as a strong reminder of the Eisner era. In retrospect, as we now continue to pay more for an increasingly watered-down experience, the Eisner era continues to look better, even at its lowest moments.
Fair enough.

I'd argue that most don't think of the Eisner Era or even know who he is when they see the purple signs entering WDW. I think the word Iconic gets thrown out and overused, but to me really doesn't fit the purple road signs. Space Mountain, Mainstreet USA, The Tower of Terror are all iconic in my mind, not road signs. The fact that this is 8 pages in is interesting to me.

lazyboy97o

Summing these two together, Disney’s wayfinding signs weren’t compliant with Florida law. Now they will be.

That is for community way finding signs which these are not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Reedy Creek Improvement District

…it allows for a lot of “negotiation” and grandfathering in the hood

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Fair enough.

I'd argue that most don't think of the Eisner Era or even know who he is when they see the purple signs entering WDW. I think the word Iconic gets thrown out and overused, but to me really doesn't fit the purple road signs. Space Mountain, Mainstreet USA, The Tower of Terror are all iconic in my mind, not road signs. The fact that this is 8 pages in is interesting to me.
As far as these circles are concerned, they’re definitely iconic, search Etsy and you’ll see tshirts and such with WDW street sign theming. You can’t seriously be surprised that on a site called WDWMAGIC that we”d have anything less than 7’pages on a topic like this, can you?

Especially during the tumultuous reign of King Chappie 🙃

Casper Gutman

First thought upon seeing these: They are really difficult to read, and will be even more difficult in certain weather and lighting situations. Easy readability really seems like the first consideration when designing road signs and these fail.

Second thought is that Disney is really embarrassed to be associated with anything as silly as theme parks - this is another case of dulling things down, removing flamboyance, ripping away theming. It brought to mind the horrible, equally difficult to read 50th banners and the choice of the muted-in-practice earidescent colors for the 50th.

To folks saying the old signs were tacky - you get that this is Disney World, right? Just about the tackiest major vacation destination in the country, if not the world? It’s an amusement park featuring talking animals, space wizards, and superheroes. If you want refined, contemporary, and trendy, you’re making a bad choice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First thought upon seeing these: They are really difficult to read, and will be even more difficult in certain weather and lighting situations. Easy readability really seems like the first consideration when designing road signs and these fail.

Second thought is that Disney is really embarrassed to be associated with anything as silly as theme parks - this is another case of dulling things down, removing flamboyance, ripping away theming. It brought to mind the horrible, equally difficult to read 50th banners and the choice of the muted-in-practice earidescent colors for the 50th.

To folks saying the old signs were tacky - you get that this is Disney World, right? Just about the tackiest major vacation destination in the country, if not the world? It’s an amusement park featuring talking animals, space wizards, and superheroes. If you want refined, contemporary, and trendy, you’re making a bad choice.
Don’t remember? Bob said it’s “luxury now” in the Q3 call in like 2017 or something?

…it had zero to do with attendance declines picked up on by the street 🤥

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom