Theme breaking entertainment added to Disney’s Boardwalk

jinx8402

This singing group needs at least a themed backdrop and props, since they appear to be performing in front of a closed storefront; potted plants, boardwalk paraphenalia. The group needs some sort of a wardrobe coordinator, because they just look like 28 year olds going on a weeknight Target run for toothpaste and beer. Do they need full 1930's accurate costumes and wigs? No, but they need something far better looking and more cohesive than what they are wearing.

And what's with the very sloppy stagecraft?!? (This is not entirely the group's fault, it's mostly the fault of the management that allowed this to go forth in front of paying customers at a "Deluxe" property without funding an effective stage manager or appropriate support) I've seen groups performing at hippie streetfairs with better stagecraft and showmanship. They've got their 64 ounce Big Gulps left on speaker boxes, backpacks and more Big Gulps thrown against the wall, sound equipment just plopped there on the ground, etc. And what is with that weird rope thing as their stageline?
I won't argue about the overall aesthetics of the group (it's bad). Or if their music style really fits (debatable, but understand if you feel it doesn't). But let's not pretend entertainment on the boardwalk never used a rope to create the stage area and used the regular surroundings as the backdrop. They are "traveling entertainers" who just set up a spot and entertain.

Casper Gutman

For the old era I can agree with you. But it's time they move it up a bit. So maybe this will be the direction they go. Heck even if they move it to 80-90s boardwalk it's still "old" for the new kids. New blood will not understand anything sub 80s soon.
You really think young people are morons, huh? That’s the kind of thinking that got us the masterpiece that is modern EPCOT.

djkidkaz

This stuff has been going on for years. I still remember when they started playing dance music at the resort pools. Walking up expecting to hear the nice ambient sounds of Wilderness Lodge BGM and instead hearing Fergie and a cast member with a microphone yelling for someone to name the seven dwarfs. Ugh!

lazyboy97o

You think people are going to magic kingdom for the older looking buildings and the Dan's outfits? Don't get me wrong I like when they have the one dressup day for guests. But if you think people are like... "Let's go to magic kingdom to enjoy the 1930s" I think your very wrong.
What part of Magic Kingdom do you think is set in the 1930s?

Than I really think you are outta touch. People are going to MK for the rides, shows,food. The fireworks and shopping. I never once was like.. "wow such historical accuracy this is why I am here "
Sounds like you are just not interested in themed experiences. There’s also sorts of content out there pointing out details of the parks and it’s not just nonsense like someone’s name or a hidden Mickey.

Muffinpants

What part of Magic Kingdom do you think is set in the 1930s?

Sounds like you are just not interested in themed experiences. There’s also sorts of content out there pointing out details of the parks and it’s not just nonsense like someone’s name or a hidden Mickey.
My 1930 was a reply to the poster I quoted. I never said I don't like the things just not the main reason I go. I love hidden mickeys and stuff like that but if the Dan's change outfits I'm not gonna stop going.

Muffinpants

You really think young people are morons, huh? That’s the kind of thinking that got us the masterpiece that is modern EPCOT.
I'm almost 40 and I like the new Epcot in the workings. Sooo idk what to say. I am saying that my teenager has no clue what the 1950s era even means outside a few photos from school unless I sit there and explain it.

Muffinpants

So it seems you are not that interested in the theme, which is fine, but don’t assume your lack of interest is universal.
Thus why I asked what age group is only going to mk for the theme. I live in CT I can go look at old buildings that were real and standing in the 1930 for much cheaper than a Disney trip. Alot of people enjoy and like or even love the theme but it can't be the only reason they go.

JMcMahonEsq

But the majority of magic kingdom is set in an era before the 1930s and is the most visited theme park in the world so it doesn’t seem that simple.
First, I honestly don’t see where you can get that the “majority” of MK is themed or set in the 1930’s anymore. Other than maybe building facades what screams out 1930’s? Is it Starbucks? Is it shopping and checking myself out using online/phone for payment? Is it ordering my food via ap? Is it buying electronic bubble makers and electronic lighted toys? Is it using the Disney Ap to play games and trivia while waiting in line? Maybe it’s getting your picture taken in front of the castle and scanning your RFD chipped magic band to automatically download the photo and then look it at as they add digital characters to it on memory maker? Is it the lasers and projections that are part of the nightly firework shows? None of these things scream 1930’s or even 1970’s for that matter.

People are too used to their modern conveniences to not want to have them as an integrated part of their vacation.

Which leads to my second point, which I believe was mentioned somewhere in this thread. When WDW opened in the 1970’s the 30’s was basically a generation away. It was an era of nostalgia in the same way that companies have been banking on 80’s nostalgia in the 2020’s. The decision and money makers remembered the 30’s either through their experience or their parents, and wanted to share it with their kids. It’s now almost 100 years ago. To younger generations, (kids and people in their 20s to 30s) the 1930s isn’t nostalgic it’s ancient history. There is a reason Walt didn’t theme WDW based upon the 1870’s when he opened the park.

Last edited:

dreday3

First, I honestly don’t see where you can get that the “majority” of MK is themed or set in the 1930’s anymore. Other than maybe building facades what screams out 1930’s? Is it Starbucks? Is it shopping and checking myself out using online/phone for payment? Is it ordering my food via ap? Is it buying electronic bubble makers and electronic lighted toys? Is it using the Disney Ap to play games and trivia while waiting in line? Non of these things scream 1930’s or even 1970’s for that matter.

People are too used to their modern conveniences to not want to have them as an integrated part of their vacation.

Which leads to my second point, which I believe was mentioned somewhere in this thread. When WDW opened in the 1970’s the 30’s was basically a generation away. It was an era of nostalgia in the same way that companies have been banking on 80’s nostalgia in the 2020’s. The decision and money makers remembered the 30’s either through their experience or their parents, and wanted to share it with their kids. It’s now almost 100 years ago. To younger generations, (kids and people in their 20s to 30s) the 1930s isn’t nostalgic it’s ancient history. There is a reason Walt didn’t theme WDW based upon the 1870’s when he opened the park.

I think it's hard for people in their late 40s and older (me :D) to fully realize that the 70/80s/90s ARE the younger generations 30s/40/50s.

I lived the 80s, so it's weird for me to see people having 80s themed parties, movies coming out about the 80s are considered back in time movies, it's just bizarre. 😂

So I do see a point in the idea that while we don't want to change theming outright, Disney is going to have change something in order to keep the younger generation coming when they are our age.

I thought AbracadaBar would have been a good idea. An old fashioned theme, but could have had modern technology. But I'm not sure it panned out that way.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
First, I honestly don’t see where you can get that the “majority” of MK is themed or set in the 1930’s anymore. Other than maybe building facades what screams out 1930’s? Is it Starbucks? Is it shopping and checking myself out using online/phone for payment? Is it ordering my food via ap? Is it buying electronic bubble makers and electronic lighted toys? Is it using the Disney Ap to play games and trivia while waiting in line? Is it the lasers and projections that are part of the nightly firework shows? None of these things scream 1930’s or even 1970’s for that matter.

The parks have always included modern conveniences. The theming comes from the architecture, music, cast member costumes, entertainment offerings.

Muffinpants

First, I honestly don’t see where you can get that the “majority” of MK is themed or set in the 1930’s anymore. Other than maybe building facades what screams out 1930’s? Is it Starbucks? Is it shopping and checking myself out using online/phone for payment? Is it ordering my food via ap? Is it buying electronic bubble makers and electronic lighted toys? Is it using the Disney Ap to play games and trivia while waiting in line? Maybe it’s getting your picture taken in front of the castle and scanning your RFD chipped magic band to automatically download the photo and then look it at as they add digital characters to it on memory maker? Is it the lasers and projections that are part of the nightly firework shows? None of these things scream 1930’s or even 1970’s for that matter.

Thank you!!!

Incomudro

I see a style. You just don't like it. There style is 90s hip hop that's conservative. And with them singing hip hop Disney it fits perfect. Just not the 50s era look you want. Which should be changed anyway resort wide.
They don't even look like they're employed by Disney.
They look like a couple of people that stepped outside and did this.
It doesn't fit Disney or the Boardwalk in look or musical style.

dreday3

I still think the cold weather had something to do with the mishmashed look. They had on sweatshirts and jackets, hats, maybe they had a look underneath it all?

harryk

Really? Begging people to send emails so that an entertainment act can lose their contract and a gig??? There are ALL kinds of modern acts that perform on the Boardwalk pre and post pandemic. Why are you going to single out this group?
But if begging for people to lose their jobs makes you feel better about yourself go ahead I guess.
At least there is some entertainment. When I visit the Boardwalk during my December visits it has always been a vast-wasteland - i.e. nothing happening except for the few restaurants that are there. Even Atlantic Dance is closed then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom