Theme breaking entertainment added to Disney’s Boardwalk

Muffinpants

Let's picture this..

1. Street clothes band.. I go get a ice cream or drink sit and watch a band I can see my self in and enjoy the show..

2. Dressed like a snow cone in stripes and look like my dad.. I wouldn't sit around and enjoy the show I would walk past and find something else.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
No it's a board walk area show.. go inside the resort if you want theme. Man I am really curious what age group everyone is that is complaining.. kinda getting silly.
No it’s a show at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn, a deluxe resort hotel. I don’t think it’s silly to expect more effort from the world’s most popular vacation destination operated by the world’s biggest entertainment company. What is silly is that this even happened in the first place.

Muffinpants

No it’s a show at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn, a deluxe resort hotel. I don’t think it’s silly to expect more effort from the world’s most popular vacation destination operated by the world’s biggest entertainment company. What is silly is that this even happened in the first place.
Still see no issues. Boardwalk inn creeped me out anyway the theme is weird. Time to move the era up a few decades.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Let's picture this..

1. Street clothes band.. I go get a ice cream or drink sit and watch a band I can see my self in and enjoy the show..

2. Dressed like a snow cone in stripes and look like my dad.. I wouldn't sit around and enjoy the show I would walk past and find something else.
They don’t have to dress like a snow cone, they can at least have a style guide that gives them a more cohesive look and make them look like they’re supposed to be there.

Muffinpants

They don’t have to dress like a snow cone, they can at least have a style guide that gives them a more cohesive look and make them look like they’re supposed to be there.
I see a style. You just don't like it. There style is 90s hip hop that's conservative. And with them singing hip hop Disney it fits perfect. Just not the 50s era look you want. Which should be changed anyway resort wide.

Muffinpants

It’s not that I don’t like it, if it were at Disney Springs I wouldn’t mind at all, I just think it’s not the right style for the venue. We can disagree and that’s fine, it’s what keeps this board interesting :)
For the old era I can agree with you. But it's time they move it up a bit. So maybe this will be the direction they go. Heck even if they move it to 80-90s boardwalk it's still "old" for the new kids. New blood will not understand anything sub 80s soon.

lazyboy97o

I feel like Disney is moving forward. Right now 80s baby's are going to be turning 40 soon. This is who they wanna market to. I see zero issue with this band performing. I would 100% be ok with a more updated entertainment here.

The era this was originally for is long gone and not even a thought to most people. Disney will not cater to the 70+ crowd the original theme was meant to.

Street clothes are perfectly fine to me if they are good.

Tldr: time to move on with the times pretending to be back in this era is no longer a fun and exciting experience.
Yes, keep a themed experience relevant by abandoning the notion of being a themed experience.

Muffinpants

Yes, keep a themed experience relevant by abandoning the notion of being a themed experience.
Please explain the theme you want? The theme it's meant to be is so old no one cares anymore but people who are not the target anymore. It's sad and stinks that Disney will move with the money but you can see the changes everywhere.

lazyboy97o

Please explain the theme you want? The theme it's meant to be is so old no one cares anymore but people who are not the target anymore. It's sad and stinks that Disney will move with the money but you can see the changes everywhere.
That’s just nonsense. There are older settings all over the place. They’re not getting rid of Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
But the majority of magic kingdom is set in an era before the 1930s and is the most visited theme park in the world so it doesn’t seem that simple.

dreday3

The fact that you are calling it a ”mini Disney Springs“ shows how thin your argument is. And how ludicrous.

Pre-Covid the BW at night was always packed with people eating, enjoying cocktails, walking around, watching various street performers, riding the Surrey bikes, and having a great time. It was far far from a bust.

For us I always assumed the Boardwalk was more of an entertainment area for those staying at the surrounding hotels.

I'm sure it's because we stay Yacht/Beach, but I always wondered why people would make it a point to go to the Boardwalk if they didn't already have reservations at a restaurant they wanted to eat at. When we stay other places, we don't make a point to visit it.

The years we stayed spanned 2000 - 2014. I know that it was bustling at night with people watching, games, entertainment - but I don't think I would ever call it hopping! We did go to Jellyrolls and had a blast! :D

Muffinpants

But the majority of magic kingdom is set in an era before the 1930s and is the most visited theme park in the world so it doesn’t seem that simple.
You think people are going to magic kingdom for the older looking buildings and the Dan's outfits? Don't get me wrong I like when they have the one dressup day for guests. But if you think people are like... "Let's go to magic kingdom to enjoy the 1930s" I think your very wrong.

seabreezept813

I wonder how early this started. We got married on the Boardwalk at like 5pm and this definitely would have been annoying. We always visit the Boardwalk on our trips. Just take a boat from HS.. it's a very peaceful break. There's not much to do, but a quiet stroll, shopping, and margarita are much needed on such a busy trip.

JoeCamel

For the old era I can agree with you. But it's time they move it up a bit. So maybe this will be the direction they go. Heck even if they move it to 80-90s boardwalk it's still "old" for the new kids. New blood will not understand anything sub 80s soon.
I agree this is the direction they seem to be headed. The meeting was about attracting new wallets with large cash and the group decided that old retired were too careful with their money so let's get the 40 somethings that are at peak employment and willing to spend for familiar things. The DJ in the MK is a prime example.
Seems like the decision was made and whatever 40's something was tapped to find new talent and get them before the guests is doing a great job as they have no feeling for what Disney parks were created to be so we end up with these shocks to the old theme.
I've always thought they were going for early 20th century when Boardwalk was created to be a place that Walt might have vacationed to from the midwest in his early years. (and a place to pry open a few wallets)

Muffinpants

I agree this is the direction they seem to be headed. The meeting was about attracting new wallets with large cash and the group decided that old retired were too careful with their money so let's get the 40 somethings that are at peak employment and willing to spend for familiar things. The DJ in the MK is a prime example.
Seems like the decision was made and whatever 40's something was tapped to find new talent and get them before the guests is doing a great job as they have no feeling for what Disney parks were created to be so we end up with these shocks to the old theme.

I've always thought they were going for early 20th century when Boardwalk was created to be a place that Walt might have vacationed to from the midwest in his early years. (and a place to pry open a few wallets)
Which is 100 years ago. If we had this conversation back in 1950.. and the theme was 1850 I don't think this much backlash would happen. Because it's a huge time gap and not something people of current time cared to revisit.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
You think people are going to magic kingdom for the older looking buildings and the Dan's outfits? Don't get me wrong I like when they have the one dressup day for guests. But if you think people are like... "Let's go to magic kingdom to enjoy the 1930s" I think your very wrong.
Yes I think that’s exactly why they are going. It’s part of the overall experience. One Disney used to care much more about.

Muffinpants

Yes I think that’s exactly why they are going. It’s part of the overall experience. One Disney used to care much more about.
Than I really think you are outta touch. People are going to MK for the rides, shows,food. The fireworks and shopping. I never once was like.. "wow such historical accuracy this is why I am here "

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom