Theme breaking entertainment added to Disney’s Boardwalk

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Yeah…but that’s the curtains, not the window.
I guess a band is better than no band at all…but they wanted some cutesy polyester vaudeville looking costumes from Epcot wardrobe…

bless their hearts.

ill say this: I do miss my favorite costumes from boardwalk still to this day 🤔
The hideous flying fish vests?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah…but that’s the curtains, not the window.
I guess a band is better than no band at all…but they wanted some cutesy polyester vaudeville looking costumes from Epcot wardrobe…

bless their hearts.

ill say this: I do miss my favorite costumes from boardwalk still to this day 🤔
Maybe they sing appropriate period songs such as:
  • On a Bicycle Built for Bae
  • In the Mos Def Summertime
  • Daisy, Daisy, Yo

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can't find a video. Some are saying Hip Hop. Someone else said Disney songs.

A hybrid?
I heard they did “Straight outta Arendale”
1643204459380.jpeg

CntrlFlPete

The use of the rope to delineate a stage is exactly what other BoardWalk performers use, such as jugglers which aren't derided for being unthematic.

For the Muppets' Declaration of Independence skit in MK, a rope is used to delineate a "stage" for the town crier.

The presence of this group is oddly out of place.

But we don't need to make up false issues in order to drive that point home.

an LED rope light -- maybe in the 90's. A rope would have been more authentic -- chalk would work as well -- this looks like the band needed to put that down themselves (as it would be something they would carry) -- so maybe that is in theme of street performers -- I truly feel that it looks tacky (even if it does not belong in the 20's.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Maybe it's because I'm from the Northeast, but the Boardwalk to me has always come across as extremely lightly themed. It's basically a hotel-themed hotel as far as I'm concerned. The only theming element is the construction material used to make the ground you're walking on, i.e. if it wasn't a walk-made-of-boards, you wouldn't know you were on a boardwalk to begin with. That could be why this doesn't bother me. The DJ on Main Street bothered me, and if they stuck these guys in Harambe or Batuu it would bother me. But "various types of musical performers" don't feel out of place in that location whatsoever.

an LED rope light -- maybe in the 90's. A rope would have been more authentic -- chalk would work as well -- this looks like the band needed to put that down themselves (as it would be something they would carry) -- so maybe that is in theme of street performers -- I truly feel that it looks tacky (even if it does not belong in the 20's.
They use this ALL THE TIME, everywhere across property.

Sergio in Epcot, for example

1643205634394.png

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Maybe it's because I'm from the Northeast, but the Boardwalk to me has always come across as extremely lightly themed. It's basically a hotel-themed hotel as far as I'm concerned. The only theming element is the construction material used to make the ground you're walking on, i.e. if it wasn't a walk-made-of-boards, you wouldn't know you were on a boardwalk to begin with. That could be why this doesn't bother me. The DJ on Main Street bothered me, and if they stuck these guys in Harambe or Batuu it would bother me. But "various types of musical performers" don't feel out of place in that location whatsoever.
I can see what you’re saying. I think a slight wardrobe change would help, doesn’t have to be over the top, maybe if they give them a style guide to work with (ie no high tops and hoody’s) it was just ... jarring to see in person.

eliza61nyc

I vote minor issue, the theme of the Boardwalk is... a beach Boardwalk. So I guess the problem would be the " time" period. They would definitely fit in on today's Atlantic city or Ocean City Boardwalk. Now if they were in "turn of the century" costumes they may seem off singing hip-hop Disney tunes.
If anything I'll say they could be more uniform.
I think they were simply catering to a younger, hipper audience.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I can see what you’re saying. I think a slight wardrobe change would help, doesn’t have to be over the top, maybe if they give them a style guide to work with (ie no high tops and hoody’s) it was just ... jarring to see in person.
I think a style guide could work. An actual costume, to me, would be the worst of all options unless it was something like a barbershop quartet. But I can see how it would fit better if they were given some photos from Dapper Day to use as inspiration.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I get that…but the point was that those types of boardwalks are indicative of the east coast.

eisner was an New Yorker who loved the east coast (make sense now?)
Iger was a New Yorker who wouldn’t leave Bel Air (make sense now?)

chapek is a weasel that crawled out of the burning river in Cleveland or something
I hope they add a flasher. Selling Rolexes, of course. Or whatever the official timepiece of WDW is.
That’s for when they do the Canal Street DVC villas

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom