CBR vs SSR

happymom25

Original Poster
Hi all! I’ve been just a reader here for a little while but I need some resort opinions, so here’s my first post!😊
We have Caribbean beach booked for mid May. This is our first trip staying on site (we usually do a house or condo). We have two rooms for our family of seven. Each kid will have their own bed with the fifth sleepers.
We love the skyliner and are looking forward to easy transportation to at least two parks. We’ll be going to parks most days.
However I just saw I can rent DVC points for a 2 bedroom villa at Saratoga for the same price. The refurbished rooms look amazing, and the extra space plus a private master seem so appealing for a week vacation. I know we’d be more comfortable in the space.
But I’m not sure it’s worth giving up the skyliner. How terrible are the buses at SSR?
Any opinions on what we should do?

Go with SSR. You'll get so much more space and the refurbished villas are fantastic. The skyliner is helpful but it's only for two parks and there's no guarantee you'll be in a room near the station in which case you may have to take a bus/walk 10/15 mins to get to the skyliner station (CBR is a massive resort). SSR hands down (though the food court options aren't the best).

Rob562

A second for SSR, though I haven't stayed at CBR since the Skyliner went in. You'll be much happier with more space.

If getting a non-Preferred room, ask for a room in one of the Grandstand 8000 buildings. First bus stop on the loop, right next to a quiet pool, and a quick walk to the main building.

-Rob

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm conflicted on this one. Our home resort is SSR and we love the refurbished rooms and the short walk over the bridge to Disney Springs. A 2BR villa will give you a full kitchen and laundry facilities, which really come in handy for a larger family. We love having breakfast in the room.

But the Skyliner at CBR is fantastic. It made getting to Epcot and HS so easy, not to mention providing an easy way to get to the restaurants at the Boardwalk and surrounding resorts. If walking is a concern, you can ask for a room closer to the Skyliner, but we didn't find the walks too long even from the farthest points. It's also one of the most beautiful resorts - very open, and we watched the fireworks from Topolino's at the Rivera one night.

On balance, I would probably go with SSR for the comfort level of the 2BR. But you can't go wrong either way.

plutofan15

Another vote for SSR. I am not a fan of CBR, but that is my opinion. The addition of of the Skyliner is an obvious plus but the resort as a whole seems too crowded.
At SSR, we like the extra room especially with a 2 BR unit. Even though we don’t cook, the kitchen comes in handy for breakfast (usually cereal, bagels, fruit, etc.) also for snacks and drinks. A major plus for us is the washer and dryer in the room, we pack much lighter by washing and wearing clothes a second time. Also nice to toss towels and bathing suits into the dryer after going to the pool. I would request a room in the Congress Park section of the resort. An easy walk to the main pool and restaurants. Also an easy walk to Disney Springs which opens up many more shops and places to eat. I will say that busses do take some time to make the resort loop, making rides to/from the parks a bit longer. If your budget allows, I would rent a car. Makes going to the parks quicker and would allow a trip to the supermarket to stock up the kitchen.

Rob562

I would request a room in the Congress Park section of the resort. An easy walk to the main pool and restaurants. Also an easy walk to Disney Springs which opens up many more shops and places to eat. I will say that busses do take some time to make the resort loop, making rides to/from the parks a bit longer. If your budget allows, I would rent a car. Makes going to the parks quicker and would allow a trip to the supermarket to stock up the kitchen.

One caveat to Congress Park is that it's a Preferred section and must be booked as such (and requires more points). The Springs are the other Preferred buildings.

-Rob

One caveat to Congress Park is that it's a Preferred section and must be booked as such (and requires more points). The Springs are the other Preferred buildings.

-Rob
I really don't get why Congress Park is a preferred section. It's as close as Grandstand is to the main building (it might be a little further) but doesn't have a pool bar (though the Grandstand pool bar is not always open - it was at Christmas though). It's also the fourth bus stop so you often have to stand in the mornings or the bus skips you. The only thing it has really going for it is the quick access to Disney Springs. Grandstand is the best area of SSR by far and isn't preferred.

NelleBelle

We loved SSR when we rented points. We had a 2-br and this was before they did the remodel. I'm sure we would absolutely love it now!! The one caveat that we had was we rented a car as we knew the bus situation could be dicey. When we checked in, they asked us where we wanted to be and I said anything that was ready and close to a pool. I can't remember which building we ended up in but we were right next to a quiet pool, short walk to the main pool/building. We loved the space, kitchen, washer/dryer. And we traveled with a family of 6 that year.

happymom25

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! We booked SSR and I’m so happy with the decision! We ended up adding an 8th night so we can enjoy EEMH and have a chill day for the pool or waterpark. We’ll use the kitchen for quick breakfasts for sure. I’ve done some reading so I know the bus service isn’t always great, but we live in the south and we drive to Disney, so we’ll have our vehicle as a back up.
I know I want to be in the grandstand section on an upper floor (well, anything but the first floor). How do I make that request when using a rental service to book?

NelleBelle

If I recall when we rented points (from David's), there is a point in the rental process (either at the beginning or somewhere along the way) where the member you're renting from can make that request for you (you make it through David's and then the member makes it for you, along with dining plan--when they offered it).

plutofan15

I really don't get why Congress Park is a preferred section. It's as close as Grandstand is to the main building (it might be a little further) but doesn't have a pool bar (though the Grandstand pool bar is not always open - it was at Christmas though). It's also the fourth bus stop so you often have to stand in the mornings or the bus skips you. The only thing it has really going for it is the quick access to Disney Springs. Grandstand is the best area of SSR by far and isn't preferred.
For us, the nearer location to Disney Springs is a major plus as we enjoy the short walk. We usually have a car so the bus situation is normally not an issue. The Grandstand area is a close second - cannot go wrong with either location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom